26er full sus instead of a 29er hardtail?

waverider
waverider Posts: 25
edited October 2013 in MTB general
It's that age old question!

So I'm currently running a 2012 specialized carve comp. I ve see a tidy 07 stumpy fsr for a reasonable price, and I'm pretty tempted. Is this a bit backwards or is the 07 stumpjumper still considered a reasonable steed? I'm keen to move my riding on, and would like to go for some rear end bounce, but I'm not in a position to need a long travel machine, nor can I fit in two bikes at the mo.

I would probably go 29 full sus if I had the cash, but I don't!

Any advice or opinions much appreciated!

Comments

• RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    Last Winter I bought a 29er HT, loved it, but after a while found it a bit bland, so in the Summer I used my 26 FS all the time, however, I've just sold it and bought a 29er FS. It's not as quick as my HT although they are different type bikes, so horses for courses, in other words, a lot depends on what and where you ride.....all IMO of course.
  • FSR's were supposed to be very good bikes... I'm sure that if you bought one now it wouldn't feel dated they were kitted out with decent finishing kit and should last a good number of years yet.

When you say a 29er, well it depends on what 29er, that's a bit vague really; 29ers are mostly used by XC riders, and depends if you want a race machine or a fun bike.... The FSR will be a fun bike.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Pretty old bike now. Depends on spec and what not, but that could well be a backward step.
  • Some good replies, thanks all.

I think the crux of the matter is I am starting tackling terrain my 29er HT is perhaps a bit out of its depth, and I'm starting to get my wheels of the ground a bit as well, but I still want (need!) to have something that will ride uphill well too. I did see an 08 enduro sl for sale as well, but I think that's a bit too far to the other end of the spectrum. Ideally it might have been something like a camber 29, but funds just won't allow at the mo!

The bike in question is the 07 Stumpy fsr comp. Pretty much stock. Fox 120 RL forks and triad shock.

Junglist - more fun I think is the nail on the head, without being able to do what I already do!
  • Junglist - more fun I think is the nail on the head, without being able to do what I already do!

I mean while being able to do what I already do!
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Be aware you will probably need to factor in a fork and shock service. Assuming no parts are worn thats damned near £300.... I had a used 07 stumpy fsr frame, looked fine for a bit til the shock spat it's oil out after a week. They are good shocks, but 7 years old now. I scrapped my shock. Frame was great after that!
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That would be my concern due to the age of the bike.
  • I think that those kind of things can be reflected in what I might offer, but fair point non the less. I am pretty good with maintenance, so wear and tear niggles don't worry me too much - it's half the fun! But shocks do need the proper pro treatment.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    And if your stantions are buggered that's £300 on the fork alone.