19/23 tubes with 25c tyres?

duckson
duckson Posts: 961
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Specifically Vittoria 19/23 Ultralite tubes and GP4000S tyres.....is this an acceptable combo given the quoted sizes dont exactly line up?
Cheers, Stu

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yes
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is there any point in using ultralite tubes in a heavier tyre? They are quite expensive arn't they?
    I would have thought stretching (even slightly) an ultralite (ultra thin?) tube is not a great idea.
  • I use 19/23 tubes on 32 mm tyres, go figure...
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I use 19/23 tubes on 32 mm tyres, go figure...

Me too, though I haven't ridden them yet.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Carbonator wrote:
    Is there any point in using ultralite tubes in a heavier tyre? They are quite expensive arn't they?
    I would have thought stretching (even slightly) an ultralite (ultra thin?) tube is not a great idea.

The 25c GP4000S isnt exactly heavy, think most people weigh them in at 210g (under the quoted weight).
    No, £3.15 at Ribble.
    Hence the question really, seems Ugo at least uses the combo with an even larger tyre and its ok.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    I use Michelin A2 airstop 700x 25 to 32 Yes they are slightly heavier but wont be as "stretched" and if its for winter who cares if its 5 gramms heavier...I certainly dont want to be "p**sing about on a cold winters day fixing a puncture when you know you could have fitted a slightly more thicker inner tube. maybe am old school but i prefer riding a heavier bike through the winter and when it comes to march getting on the good bike and feel like your "flying". PS. Gone off Conti's both had sidewall wire issues last year. maybe they were a bad batch....will stick to my tried and trusted Michelin Pro4 endurance's.
  • Gazzetta67 wrote:
    I use Michelin A2 airstop 700x 25 to 32 Yes they are slightly heavier but wont be as "stretched" and if its for winter who cares if its 5 gramms heavier...I certainly dont want to be "p**sing about on a cold winters day fixing a puncture when you know you could have fitted a slightly more thicker inner tube. maybe am old school but i prefer riding a heavier bike through the winter and when it comes to march getting on the good bike and feel like your "flying". PS. Gone off Conti's both had sidewall wire issues last year. maybe they were a bad batch....will stick to my tried and trusted Michelin Pro4 endurance's.

I don't think tube thickness matters when it comes to avoiding punctures... if something sharp gets through the thread, it will pierce any rubber at pressure.
    A bigger tube is more likely to get pinched when you do a repair on the road if you use levers, so on balance I am not sure it is any better
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    duckson wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

The 25c GP4000S isnt exactly heavy, think most people weigh them in at 210g (under the quoted weight).
    No, £3.15 at Ribble.
    Hence the question really, seems Ugo at least uses the combo with an even larger tyre and its ok.

I meant the extra weight of a 25mm tyre vs the 23mm version that the tube was designed for (not that I have any idea how much heavier they are).

If they are only £3.15 its not really an issue anyway and I would give them a try.