new bike, set up help needed , knee pain

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I had my 58cm specialized roubaix 2008 pro nicked so when I saw a 56cm version of exact same bike on eBay I jumped at it thinking it won't make that much of a difference ( I'm 6ft 1"). I had previously written down all the measurements from crank to saddle , saddle to bars from when I road the old 58cm bike and I transferred them to the 56cm bike.

With the bike been that touch smaller my saddle is more up in the air than when riding the 58cm so I'm in a more stooped position as apposed to been sat abit more upright which I prefer. Over the 4-5 times I've been out I've noticed some pain in the right knee when peddling and more when I get off.
Which would be the best way to try to rectify this problem ?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It's a good possibility the seatpost angle is different twixt the two frames, only by a degree but the centre of the top of the seatpost will be a little further forward in relation to the BB. Odds on you got your saddle to bar dimension by fitting a longer stem? If you've a tablet or smart phone have a play with Size My Bike you'll probably find your saddle needs to move a bit
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This +1
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I started getting knee pain on a ride on my normal bike.WHEN I looked into it,I found the seat had slid backwards and Had it not happened I wouldn,t have believed such a small thing could have such an effect.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I had a similar experience on my Roubaix when it was new. It felt fine but I got knee pain. Got out the plumb bob and tried the knee over pedal spindle test then moved the saddle 15mm forwards. Totally fixed the problem.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!