Carrera parts identifcation

jimgough
jimgough Posts: 12
edited November 2013 in MTB general
Hi! I bought a Carrera vengence about 18 months ago and giving it more than its fair share of abuse. I've had to replace the cassette and chain with no problems but the crankset has caused me massive issues. I couldn't get anything SRAM that was under silly money for it and ended up getting a Shimano crankset instead. This fits but not well and the smallest front cog is unavailable because its too close to the frame. I've made brass shims on the taper to move it out which has sort of worked, but not very well. Can anybody tell me what model of crankset should I be looking for? The bike is identical to this one
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_810619_langId_-1_categoryId_165499
I've found this on ebay which I think is the right set (right number of teeth anyway!)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321115100806&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
Thanks!
Jim

Comments

• Sram s200 3.0 the specs are listed on your link .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The bottom bracket axle length has to be suitable for the chainset. Be cheaper to get the right bb.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I am very concerned that this is all going to end up costing you more money.

the only info I can find on the Sram s200 (X3) is that it is a power spline fitting. Shimano do not make such a fitting on their cranks.

if it is a square taper crank then all we need to do is replace the BB with one with the correct axle length and for that we need to know which cranks you have bought.

part number is on the back of the arms. FC-++++++++
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Again,
    The SRAM cranks (square tapered) have stamped on the rear 20JUN2011 and 1144A1 and 175. The Shimano cranks I have on now are the same as these.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230998207735
    Is it fairly easy to change the bottom bracket crank axle?
    Cheers
    Jim
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is with the right tools, but we still need the model number that will be stamped on the chainset somewhere.
  • Would that be on the Shimano crank set somewhere?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    nicklouse wrote:
    part number is on the back of the arms. FC-++++++++
    Have a guess......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Sorry about the delay, not been near the old 'puter. The number on the Shimano cranks are FC M131
    Would it be a BB UN26 with 122.5mm spindle length that I need? Also do you know the name of the special tool I need to replace the spindle?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jimgough wrote:
    Sorry about the delay, not been near the old 'puter. The number on the Shimano cranks are FC M131
    Would it be a BB UN26 with 122.5mm spindle length that I need? Also do you know the name of the special tool I need to replace the spindle?
    yep.

have a read of Parktools and book mark it.

BB tool and crank puller (but you have that).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks matey, its appreciated. :wink:
    Jim
  • I took a gamble and ordered an SRAM truvativ S600 crank 8 speed with square BB because it looked identical and the guy selling it was quite happy to take it back if it was wrong. Its dimentionally exactly the same as the unavailable S200 crank, the only difference seems to be the S200's middle cog is splined onto the crank, and the S600's crank is a spider arrangement.