Advice on stolen bike!

mhunterphoto
mhunterphoto Posts: 18
edited October 2013 in MTB general
So I've just attempted to get my bike ready for a ride out tomorrow to discover it's been stolen.

I live in an apartment block so my bike is stored in the provided bike store. Does anyone have an idea if I should be able to claim from my landlords insurance? The bike store was broken into 2 weeks ago and I wasn't informed as they 'assumed no bikes had been taken' it still now stands with the side torn off and my girlfriends bike unlocked in there!!! (Thieves cut the lock between our bikes).

Any ideas or has anyone dealt with similar before?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    You probably need to contact your landlord. Nobody here will know what kind of cover (if any) they have for such events.

Good luck and sorry for your loss from the theiving bazzas
  • cooldad
    They won't, it's not the landlord's problem, any more than someone burgling the flat.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 1 thief + 1 good bike + 1 shat bike = 1 shat bike.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    This happened to me and unfortunately you have zero chance of claiming this on your landlord's insurance - unless you can persuade your landlord to commit insurance fraud and pretend the bike was his/hers.

Communal bike sheds are a joke and lull you into a false sense of security until one day you come by to find your pride and joy gone or damaged and realise that even your neighbours are scum (or maybe careless enough to leave the door unlocked/open - but let's go with scum!)

Chalk it up as a learning experience and keep your next bike inside the flat - and get some damn home insurance of your own!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    So I've just attempted to get my bike ready for a ride out tomorrow to discover it's been stolen.

I live in an apartment block so my bike is stored in the provided bike store. Does anyone have an idea if I should be able to claim from my landlords insurance? The bike store was broken into 2 weeks ago and I wasn't informed as they 'assumed no bikes had been taken' it still now stands with the side torn off and my girlfriends bike unlocked in there!!! (Thieves cut the lock between our bikes).

Any ideas or has anyone dealt with similar before?

Unfortunate that its happened by why on earth would the landlord be insuring your property?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cooldad wrote:
    They won't, it's not the landlord's problem, any more than someone burgling the flat.
    Negligence in not informing the tenants of the break in.....if the bike was taken after the break in not (not as part of that break in) then he would have some recourse.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • highlux
    highlux Posts: 18
    I beg to differ. If the landlord provides a locked place to store bikes and it is broken into...its reasonable to conclude that he has a share in the resposibility. Is there an extra charge for the storage? If there is it's a given he should pay.

I wouldnt ask him if its covered. I would assume it is and ask hime for his insurance comanpanies information to file a claim.
  • cooldad
    Nope. Might be so in 'merica, but not here. Landlord also supplies a locked place to live in - the flat. Get burgled, tough sh1t. Most wouldn't charge - it's just a locked room.
    @The ex Beginner. Tough to prove plus most leases will have it covered off. A lot of buildings just give any tenant the code, so no way of knowing who is or isn't using it.
    He'd also be up against the Liability insurers, who would likely just tell him to get stuffed, so small claims action or nothing.
    I'd say nothing.
    Only time the landlord could be liable is if they are acting as a bailee and the bike is handed over to them for safe keeping. Which is not the case.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools