Front fork Issue Help solve the crime HAHA

rorylofthouse
rorylofthouse Posts: 6
edited November 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I know the title is misleading but its hard to describe is such a short title

Ok so i have a dawes hard tail 2011 bike only really getting ridden to work mainly road work and slight bit of hardcore pathing & under 1/2 mile x4 daily.

Recently the front forks feel as what i can only describe as say 5/6mm of empty space before they soak up any bumps, its quite a harsh bump and bang when it happens.

The forks are RST Gilas so i appreciate that they are only a really cheap fork but if i can solve this then i'd be over the moon.

The allen bolt at the headset is tight and it doesn't feel like any movement in the head set, so can only put this down to a fork issue, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    When were they last serviced? Could be they are binding up and then a big enouigh hit is shocking them into moving?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • They've never been serviced, as i thought with them only been cheap forks it would be pointless, im guessing it should be easy to get them to bits
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And probably pointless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Nothing to be lost by splitting them and adding a good dollop of grease to the bushes, you'll either see they are FUBAR or fix them (for a while at least), that or prize the seals off and drizzle in salty water to seize them up completely!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gonna pull them to bits tonight, should i look for anything in particular
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dirt, rust and water I imagine.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The Rookie
    Plus signs of binding (wear) between the stanchions and bushes!
  • cool cheers, i'll take a look then tonight im guessing that if the top bushes are f*cked then theres not alot i can do

Cheers
  • well i took a look last night and they where in pretty good nick. greased up and they seem loads better. how ever my pre load leg doesn't seem to twist anymore so might need to look into this. but it wast a right pain to screw in from the outer leg so guessing it could be a slightly bent rod
  • arnego2
    arnego2 Posts: 10
    edited October 2013
    Hopefully its not a thread jack, I have a similar problem and the bike, a Jamis Komodo is new. My forks are RST Dirt and they have that feeling of an empty space since new. I'm thinking of using a heavier oil but need to know what amount of oil those forks are use.
  • The Rookie
    Probably none at all.....
  • arnego2
    Could well be :(

Went to hardest setting and have no damping at all. Later I try and see what I can do.
  • arnego2
    Nothing can be done really, adding 200gr of grease made a slight difference. There is no damping body. Its basically a Spring in grease in a tube. Little grease. Any recommendation for a mediate fork anyone?
  • The Rookie
    Cheapest fork worth upgrading to is a Suntour XCM or XCR with a hydraulic damper, but a Raidon or Rockshox Recon is much better as they have a 'proper damper and not the cartridge of the XC's.
  • arnego2
    Thx a lot I appreciate it.
    Searching ebay on used stuff I found some internals hopefully I can modernize that "fork" I have.
    Problem being that the stanchions of the seller are 28mm and my set up is 32.
  • cooldad
    Not happening
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arnego2
    Why no? Care to elaborate?
  • cooldad
    arnego2 wrote:
    the stanchions of the seller are 28mm and my set up is 32.
    Plus you can't just add a random damper to a fork not designed for it. There is a damped Dirt so you could work out what the difference is.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • arnego2
    Basically those 28mm stanchions could well fit in the 32mm Stock stanchions.
  • cooldad
    arnego2 wrote:
    Basically those 28mm stanchions could well fit in the 32mm Stock stanchions.
    Good luck then.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    With 4mm of slop, riding and steering response will be hilarious!
  • arnego2
    Thanks,
    I would have loved to try it, if hilarious or not. Seeing that some lower end forks are nothing but tubes, coil rubber and bolts improvement should have come if I'd won those parts. Unfortunately for me it did not happen. :(

Hoping to get a Suntour Durolux TAD or Raidon as a replacement of the RST Dirt it should be an upgrade :)
  • cooldad
    You got lucky.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    arnego2 wrote:
    Thanks,
    I would have loved to try it, if hilarious or not. Seeing that some lower end forks are nothing but tubes, coil rubber and bolts improvement should have come if I'd won those parts.
    Despite the uppers slopping around in the lowers like your obvious in a shirt sleeve......do you understand how forks wok at all?
  • Doing suspension work on my YZ250 and RM260 I think I have an idea.
  • cooldad
    bad-ideas-bad-idea-dog-hump-demotivational-posters-1307130271.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools