Is this a good price for used bike???

chrisrandall1984
chrisrandall1984 Posts: 19
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Been offered a mint condition 2013 Giant DEFY 5 for £300. Its had about 40 miles use.

It will be my first Road Bike and If I enjoy it then I would look to perhaps get something a little better next year?

Thoughts?

Anything I could get for a better price or slightly more??

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    If I hadn't already got one, i'd buy it!! I paid twice that 5months ago!!! Really really happy with mine. :D
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Ok thanks :-)
  • Schoie81
    Actually, that's rubbish, I paid £500 for mine, brand new. So it wasn't twice that price at all. Sorry. I'd still recommend the bike though at 60% the price I paid for it!
  • yeah cool, I had been looking at one in a LBS at £500.

Like I said, this one has done 40 miles or less so am quite happy with £300
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Anything I could get for a better price

A pair of glasses to read the forum rules perhaps? :evil:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It would have been considerably more helpful and friendly if you had pointed out what the infraction was.

To the OP, forum rule 16 says that you shouldn't ask questions about valuations, although quite why isn't clear to me.

The forum rules also say posters should use "proper English" but the rules themselves misuse the word "disinterested" but there you go.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    smidsy wrote:
    Anything I could get for a better price

A pair of glasses to read the forum rules perhaps? :evil:[/quote
    You an admin now or just sucking up to become one..If not why are you pretending to be one.
    Jobs worth or what. :|
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Good price IMO if it's as good as it sounds. :)
  • smidsy
    elderone wrote:
    You an admin now or just sucking up to become one..If not why are you pretending to be one.

Who is pretending to be admin? I simply believe that rules should be observed.

You seem to enjoy taking issue with everything so I assume you are happy for me to continue to give you opportunity.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smidsy
    oxoman wrote:
    are not rules made for breaking

If we allow rules to be broken we decend into anarchy. Oh hang on some folk on here already.....
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Breaking the rules.- Is it worth it? :?
  • elderone
    smidsy wrote:
    elderone wrote:

Who is pretending to be admin? I simply believe that rules should be observed.

You seem to enjoy taking issue with everything so I assume you are happy for me to continue to give you opportunity.
    I take issue with people like you who have an over inflated opinion of themselves.
    Admins are there to make sure rules are observed,your not an admin so why the attitude with the OP.I will be the first to admit I havn,t once looked at the rules etc,if I cross the line admin will soon let me know.It is a bicycle forum ffs .
    As for decending into anarchy,WTF. Call the MOD, put the army on standby,some one some where on a bike forum is going to ask a question and get this, like, break a rule.
  • smidsy
    I rest my case.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wow. Thanks for the input Smidsy. You have been most helpful.

To everyone else; thanks for the replies. I picked the bike up last week, its absolutely mint and I am very happy with it.
  • In fact having looked at rule 16 - "16) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark"

I would personally say that there is no infringement there.

I have not asked "how much is it worth" but simply if it was a good price for the bike. It may be similar but its nots the same.

Either way; if it is a "rule break" a polite nudge in the right direction would have gone a long way rather than the rude post that I got in return.

Really showing a great image to new members............
  • elderone
    In fact having looked at rule 16 - "16) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark"

I have not asked "how much is it worth" but simply if it was a good price for the bike. It may be similar but its nots the same.

Either way; if it is a "rule break" a polite nudge in the right direction would have gone a long way rather than the rude post that I got in return.

Totally agree with you,that,s what got me annoyed.It is a beginners forum but know it all big heads think they are above other members.There are a lot of very helpful people on here who know there onions,unlike some who just think they do.

Funny no admins said any thing though,seems giving the forum a bad image is less important than breaking some minor rule.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763

There are some very rude people here but I don't think Smidsy is one of them. Perhaps (as I pointed out above) he could have handled it differently but the argument has all got rather out of hand.

I have been on the internet since before the web even existed so I've seen a lot of ill-mannered behaviour but this forum stands out as being one of the rudest I have frequented on a regular basis. There are a lot of people who are very knowledgeable and polite (Ugo Santalucia is a good example), which is why I stay. Putting up with some rather poor manners is the price you have to pay for the good bits.

Curiously, it depends which sub-forum you are in. The Workshop sub-forum seems to be far better than Beginners or General for some reason. I'm prepared to bet the MTBers are a lot more friendly too but I don't venture into that bit.
  • smidsy

Either way; if it is a "rule break" a polite nudge in the right direction would have gone a long way

Semantics dear boy... and that was a polite nudge.

Geeeeesss get over it, you failed to read or comply with the rules and someone picked you up for it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Schoie81
    In fact having looked at rule 16 - "16) Do not post "How much is it worth?" topics. If you want to know, look on other sites for a benchmark"

I think I agree. My interpretation of that rule is that it is aimed at stopping people who are selling something from trying to get other forum members to value it for them, which I guess pretty much amounts to an advert for the thing they are selling, rather than someone asking if something they are considering buying is worth the price being asked, but I may be mis-interpretating it.

In any case, I'm glad you bought the bike and I hope you know feel it was worth what it cost you. As I said, I love mine and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a starter road bike. That said, I don't like the look of the 2014 version!!