Dusting off my 97 GT Karakorum

highlux
highlux Posts: 18
edited October 2013 in MTB beginners
Getting over serious back/neck injury and plan to ride the bike to help lose the 25 plus pounds I've put on since I have been home offwork.

This bike has hung in the garage Since 98 or so. Life took over and I never made time to ride.

Im going to put new tubes/tires on it. And go over the whole bike.
I lubed it occasionally over the years, so its in great shape. There is a tear in the seat as well from one of my last
rides of death. There will be no more rides of death. Im 43 now. I did buy this bike brand new and have turned down many offers on it.

Any advice? I wont be able to ride it for a bit...but I can probably tinker with it.

Ill get some pics of it when I get a chance.

Comments

• highlux
    In all her dusty undisturbed glory.

photo4_zpsaa50c155.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You could park it between my 1997 Fuji and 1997 Gary Fisher!

Just check it all over, make sure cables are free running and the brakes still work, make sure the eastpost isn't seized, or the forks, check the wheel bearings and headset as both may have gummed up with thickened grease, so a strip, clean and fresh grease may be in order.

43 is young, it is a lower number than my age and I AM STILL YOUNG, so you must be, and yes I regularly get myself a little busted up by falling off!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The Rookie wrote:
    You could park it between my 1997 Fuji and 1997 Gary Fisher!

Just check it all over, make sure cables are free running and the brakes still work, make sure the eastpost isn't seized, or the forks, check the wheel bearings and headset as both may have gummed up with thickened grease, so a strip, clean and fresh grease may be in order.

43 is young, it is a lower number than my age and I AM STILL YOUNG, so you must be, and yes I regularly get myself a little busted up by falling off!

Pair of old codgers, I am only forty and still riding my 1996 Orange c16r ;)

Good advice above, give it a once over and they just ride it up and down outside your house a bit to see if anything feels or sounds wrong. It should be pretty much fine, you may need a new chain and rear cassette but see how you go. Good luck :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you haven't been riding for a while, I thought I better just point out it's upside down.
    Wouldn't want you hurting yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    cooldad wrote:
    If you haven't been riding for a while, I thought I better just point out it's upside down.
    Wouldn't want you hurting yourself.

How do you know that? Could be an upside down photo taken in an upside down house - durr
  • cooldad
    Being like a scientist, I observed the liquids on the shelf.
    Plus the way the dead sheep is hanging.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    Thanks guys. I found some good bicycle books/videos. Ill go go over the whole bike. I was shocked to see how far the bikes have come...disc brakes, full suspension. Crazy. I dont think I will need all that. I will most likely stick to the street and light bike trails. There is some decent riding around here.

The bike has the factory Velociraptor tires on it. I was thinking something a little smoother for the street. And I dont think my butt can handle that Vette trishock seat. I kinda remember it hurting anyways. Something softer seems more apppropriate now...lol.

So...am I an American on an English board?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My old MTB still has velociraptor tyres on it and they are great.
  • cooldad
    highlux wrote:

So...am I an American on an English board?
    So it's left hand drive as well as upside down.

Mainly British (if you say English all of our Welsh, Scottish and Irish types have hissy fits)
    Americans are welcome, just a pity you lot can't spell.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    Ok. The left handed and upsidedown comment nearly sent a drink of milk across the room.
    If it matters...Im a Davis. I'm Scottish, Irish, and Welsh. Im sure there is a joke in there somewhere.

I think I'll go take her down and give her (bike) a look over and get a few more pics.

I found a Video of a guy doing bicycle work on a bike with the exact same components as mine ( Deore LX)
    so I was pretty happy about that. I apologize ahead of time if Im really slow paced at this, as I have a pretty hard time getting around right now with these rutpured discs.
  • cooldad
    highlux wrote:
    Ok. The left handed and upsidedown comment nearly sent a drink of milk across the room.
    If it matters...Im a Davis. I'm Scottish, Irish, and Welsh. Im sure there is a joke in there somewhere.
    Could be you share a mum with Sheepsteeth, but you won't get it.
    She lives in Rhyl.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    More pictures. Not a spec of rust anywhere. Needs a good bath.

Also...guess what it's leaning against for extra bonus prizes! (good luck)

photo1_zps753edba1.jpg

photo3_zps776962cb.jpg

photo2_zps4ed16289.jpg

photo4_zps1d84fed6.jpg

photo11_zpsa9ec7218.jpg

photo21_zps72b8fd2f.jpg

photo41_zps890be7e4.jpg

photo5_zps52b4d464.jpg

photo12_zps977910a6.jpg

photo22_zpsb54f4b2e.jpg
  • cooldad
    You could have given a clue, but using the awesome power of my mind, could it be a really sad looking Toyota Highlux?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    You are very warm....but no cigar.

Here is another clue. Please forgive hew condition. She was only recently rescued and in first phase of restoration.
    She does run though.

bath.jpg
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    but using the awesome power of my mind

By thinking that it might not just be a coincidence that he is asking the name of a truck, and his username is the name of a truck?

That is awesome.

Anyway, It looks very much like a hilux...

hilux_zpsfe8f28b3.jpg

Check the wheel arch, front bumper, lights and wing mirror
  • cooldad
    Itr's American, so probably called Toyota Honcho Big Chief Massive Wang Yankee Doodle Six Shooter Lux
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    cooldad wrote:
    Itr's American, so probably called Toyota Honcho Big Chief Massive Wang Yankee Doodle Six Shooter Lux
    highlux wrote:
    Correct!
  • highlux
    It's based off a hilux....but not a pickup. It is open all the way to the back with rear seats. And the entire portion from the cab back is fiberglass. Top not made to be removable.
    They only made 1200-1400.

Now get crackin.
  • highlux
    Few pictures cleaned up. Need a Saddle and some tubes. Plans are to go over the whole bike.

Do I need to replace my BB? Its a Shimano UN 51 73x113 Can it be serviced? Regreased?

photo13_zpsf1b966b8.jpg

photo23_zps44dba7f9.jpg

photo32_zpsd464143d.jpg

photo42_zps28431a63.jpg

photo51_zpsff15515d.jpg

Above is Zues....he wouldnt let my other 2 Shepherds near the bike.
  • cooldad
    Scary eyes. Do you feed it plutonium?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    When I first saw it I thought it was an early landcruiser but guess I am wrong?
  • highlux
    No plutonium. Cant get that in America anymore except through the Iranian Embassy.

Ok. It is a 1981 Toyota Trekker. Pretty rare beast. Im in the planning/inspection stage of its restoration. Will have to be a frame off deal. Im a Toyota 4x4 guy. I have a 2001 Tacoma, 99 4runner, 87 4runner, and the Trekker.

My 87 4runner is my baby. I cant wait to hang the bike off the back.
    Alot of people are telling me with my back injuries, I should look into a full suspension bike.

The 87.

photo2-1.jpg
  • cooldad
    We generally drive cars here, not trucks.
    Being part of the civilised world.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    cooldad wrote:
    We generally drive cars here, not trucks.
    Being part of the civilised world.

You mean civilized? We have spelling books.
  • cooldad
    Yeah, written by Americans in American.
    You need books, we invented the words.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    cooldad wrote:
    Yeah, written by Americans in American.
    You need books, we invented the words.

Too bad it wasnt dental care.
  • cooldad
    chris-shaw-e1272026436587.jpg?w=450&h=678
    3qz5p9.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • highlux
    So I assume you are the board asshole? Trollling me only reinforces my feelings that the English are just as bad as the rest of the euro trash. I knew one of you would go douchebag on me. I knew it.

Was it because my Grandfather and Great Uncle both came to your county to stage for Normandy invasion? Knock your granny up or something?

Was it because we rebelled in 1776? You mad bro? I suppose living in a country that has only lost territory over the last 100 years would make me edgy as well.

Or maybe its misplaced angst at the fact you worship do nothing monarchs like gods?

Are you mad I have more freedom?

I like people from England. But I guess being a douchebag is universal in your case.

Ill slither back to an American forum. I just happened to find this one first. No need for me to contribute. I have nothing to add or share worthwhile.

One thing I can guarantee you though my freind. England needs America......way more than we need you.
  • cooldad
    My apologies, but you started the with teeth thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    highlux wrote:
    So I assume you are the board asshole? Trollling me only reinforces my feelings that the English are just as bad as the rest of the euro trash. I knew one of you would go douchebag on me. I knew it.

Was it because my Grandfather and Great Uncle both came to your county to stage for Normandy invasion? Knock your granny up or something?

Was it because we rebelled in 1776? You mad bro? I suppose living in a country that has only lost territory over the last 100 years would make me edgy as well.

Or maybe its misplaced angst at the fact you worship do nothing monarchs like gods?

Are you mad I have more freedom?

I like people from England. But I guess being a douchebag is universal in your case.

Ill slither back to an American forum. I just happened to find this one first. No need for me to contribute. I have nothing to add or share worthwhile.

One thing I can guarantee you though my freind. England needs America......way more than we need you.

Don't worry he's always like that. He gets satisfaction from putting other people down, sad really. Fine in 'The Crudcatcher', but shouldn't be tolerated elsewhere. Especially a section were people are likely to be new to the forum.