Mountain biking in the dark

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited December 2013 in MTB general
Hello,

I've seen people biking in the dark and as winter is coming and the light going I have decided I fancy a go at off roading in the dark. I have just purchased one of magicshine's finest to strap to my Stumpjumper FSR so I think I should be set lighting wise.

I was just wondering if anyone on her does it and if so, any tips?

Thanks,

Ben
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    be afraid....be very afraid...... :lol:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    When you re driving to the trail, have the Rock in Rio version of Fear of the Dark by Iron Maiden playing at full volume
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are riding solo be sure someone knows where you are going and when you'll be back, you don't want a heavy off and be left there all night!

Oh and as TDC says, it can sometimes feel like someone is following you, don't worry, you are not paranoid IT'S TRUE.....arghhhhhhhhhhhh
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yep Ive ordered a light from China last week, looking forward to getting sh*t scared down some local trails/plantations, nothing too technical for the above reason of spending the night with a broken limb in the middle of a zombi infested wood on my own. Going to be good just to get some miles in during Winter, just hope this light turns up ok and I dont blow the house up with the cheap battery pack/charger :lol:
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • mudsucker
    I'm not afraid of the dark, it's the things that hide in it that bothers me!

Best thing to do I imagine is to just start small and work up when I get more (hopefully not over) confident. Just seems a waste to not do as much riding in the winter. Local woods and tow path to start I think.

I did have a go a while ago with a cheap Cateye light I have. Couldn't see a lot but the feeling of speed was immense, really heighted the senses. Quite a rush!

Hopefully I don't get torn limb from limb by zombies :lol:

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Take a spare light with you and even a small torch just in case of repairs. The cheapo Chinese lights are OK but unreliable so be prepared.

Apart from that do a reccy in the day so you don't ride off the edge of a quarry etc.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Tell someone you're out and when you will be back... take a phone, and take a spare light just in case. If you will be doing any riding on road then make sure you have a rear light and some reflective kit... I feel safer off road than on when it's dark.

I'd also ride familiar trails - at least to start with. Part of the fun is getting a new perspective on familiar places... by all accounts only 650b is more effective in making the trails come alive.

If you've got mates to ride with that's also good... solo night riding is also fun, but a bit of company is always welcome and it will make you feel safer.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    is brilliant, end of story. Relax, keep your head up, flow.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • p44cmb
    p44cmb Posts: 124
    If you go alone NEVER look behind you into the darkness.

If you go with mates NEVER be the one at the back. it's always the one at the back that gets picked off first.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    mudsucker wrote:
    Hello,

I've seen people biking in the dark and as winter is coming and the light going I have decided I fancy a go at off roading in the dark. I have just purchased one of magicshine's finest to strap to my Stumpjumper FSR so I think I should be set lighting wise.

I was just wondering if anyone on her does it and if so, any tips?

Thanks,

Ben

Get a light for your helmet too, so u can see where you look, it will also serve as a backup.
  • bartimaeus
    Go night riding on Halloween - it should be safe then because "Creatures of the night shy away from Halloween. They find it all much too crass.” (Rupert Giles - 'Fear, Itself')
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    is brilliant, end of story..

yeah what he says, and what others have said also :lol:

Solo riding in the dark for the first few times is very spooky, like, you'll probably ride harder than you ever have before :wink: but it is soo much fun once you get used to it. 8)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Get a light for your helmet too, so u can see where you look, it will also serve as a backup.

really good advice your head is usually pointing where your looking handle bars less so Also pack spare batteries you never know if one set will go flat.
  • bartimaeus
    And don't be a wuss - night riding is suitable for Family & Kids :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Wiggle might be doing a blog entry in the next week on the top ten tips for night riding, should be very informative :)
  • bartimaeus
    lawman wrote:
    Wiggle might be doing a blog entry in the next week on the top ten tips for night riding, should be very informative :)
    I will watch for that, if only to see whether one of the tips is "Keep your friend's lights in view, as they probably know where they are going even if you have no idea where you are (still)".
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Its pretty scary in when you stop for a rest in the glentress forest on a misty night and switch the lights off!
  • It's awesome!

Tell someone where you're going and the first few times ride familiar trails, that way if your light dies you've half a chance of getting home.

Have two lights, bars and helmet, if you get a flat you can see what you're doing.

Don't look in the undergrowth and don't be afraid of the eyes, it's just a bunny rabbit.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Have your first night ride in Longleat forest. It's worth making the trip, the wolves howling and lions roaring as you are alone in the forest add to the atmosphere.
    Just look out for the doggers.
  • Have you seen the film deliverance ?
  • TownyDC
    TownyDC Posts: 157
    Started night rides a few years ago, first light was a hope 1, this was ok but after a while wanted more lumens so bought a magic shine for the bars and an ultra fire for the lid. Having directional light where you look makes night riding technical trails more of a possibility. We tend to do set routes but vary them every Wednesday and Sunday. Had badgers, foxes and rabbits run out in front of us and also a white owl flying just above our heads following us down the trail. Love night rides, prefer them to day time rides as in theory the trails are less busy, you can put the hammer down without the worry of ploughing into someone. If there are people out walking on the trails in the dark and they don't see you coming from your light beam then there's something wrong with them, trails seem faster, you need your wits about you sometimes but it's great fun.
  • mudsucker
    Wow thanks for all the replies, some great advice. Getting a headtorch sounds like a good idea so think ill get myself one of those.

So, first proper ride in the dark tonight. 17 miles along a gravel and mud path by the coast which goes in and out of the woods. Thought I'd start easy and work up to something more taxing. I absolutely loved it and was riding around with a silly grin on my face! Encountered a few rabbits darting around in front of me but was about it.

Very impressed with my new front light I got today (Magicshine MJ880U) which on full power was like having a car headlight on my bars. Made my old lights look very lame indeed.

Riding in Longleat sounds fun, just so long as no animals escape and see me a dinner!

I'll be sure to look out for Wiggle's guide on night riding places as I want to do a lot more that's for sure.

Ben :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Have you seen the film deliverance ?

Has anybody not seen Deliverance?

Squeal like a piiiig...
  • mudsucker
    No I haven't seen it. If I do want to carry on riding in the dark I'm guessing I don't want to see it :-)

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • Kowalski675
    mudsucker wrote:
    No I haven't seen it. If I do want to carry on riding in the dark I'm guessing I don't want to see it :-)

Are you a youngster?
  • mudsucker
    I'm 30 so no not really! Must have just passed me by

2013 Trek 1.2
    1982 Holdsworth Elan.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Before you were born.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Before you were born.

It was released a year before I was born, but I've seen it more than once, lol.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I've never seen it either.

but yeah, night riding is awesome and as mojo said, deffo get a helmet light too as you look where you're going, not always where the bike is pointing
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Have your first night ride in Longleat forest. It's worth making the trip, the wolves howling and lions roaring as you are alone in the forest add to the atmosphere.

I'm desperate to do this now! :lol::lol:

(oh and 29yrs and never seen deliverance)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver