Orange Alpine 160! Pikes, Purple and Lots more! PAGE 4!

peter_booker2003
peter_booker2003 Posts: 566
edited August 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Found this for a decent price and fancied an upgrade from the five. So here it is.

Rode the Coed Y Brenin Enduro on it and it just soaked it up, even the uphills were quality!!

Spec includes

Orange Alpine 160 18 inch in Striker Orange Colour

Cane Creek Double Barrel Coil Shock
X Fusion Vengeance HLR Forks
Hope Race M4 Evo Brakes in Team Green
Ceramic Hope Team Green BB
Team Green Pro 2 Evos on Flows
Renthal Bars
Reverb

What do you reckon?

image_zpsa13848cc.jpg

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Lovely bike mate! I was after one of these when I bought me mega! But everyone wanted silly money for them at the time!

I do like my oranges!
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Very very nice.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • MrPhil
    MrPhil Posts: 57
    Nice rig, the CCDB works well.

What weight are you? I run a 400 but really need a 550 for larger drop places like Antur Stiniog.

Also what chain device is that?

Cheers

Phil
  • Mountain machine :D got this years alpine and I love it.
    Love the colour aswell was torn between this and neon green for mine.
  • Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Chain device is MRP G2 Mini SL in Matching Orange.

The bike is going on a diet currently.

Selling the Cane Creek Double Barrel as i've got an RP23 on the way. Currently weighs dead on 33lbs, but an rp23 will drop that to 31.6lbs. Also ordered some nukeproof electron pedals to replace my knackered superstars and also a 170g weight saving. Nearly half a pound so should be getting to 31lbs. Also, got some Pikes on Order so they should drop another 500g and that should be just over 30lbs then. A few good choices with finishing kit should have it below 30lbs.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    surprised you are going for an rp23 to replace the DB coil.
  • I was thinking the same but the coil doesnt do it justice for me. Trying to make it into more of a trail bike rather than mini dh bike, and have the extra bitta cash will be nice.

Thanks
  • What is the ride like in comparison to the five?
  • The ride is amazing! i tried the same forks on five and the front was stiff but the back end was always bouncing around and felt flexy.

On this frame it just feels balanced.

Once i get it below 30lbs it should be the perfect enduro beast.
  • Since the last photo the bike has gone on a bit of a diet.

Ive swapped the CCDBC for an RP23 Boost Valve. I actually prefer it with the RP23. Just feels more "poppy". That saved 690g.
    I bought a raceface N/W ring as i already had a clutch mech. Chopped the chain device. Saved 200g
    Swapped the Superstar Pedals that weighed in at 505g for some nukeproof electron pedals which feel really good and weigh 348g.

Gave it a good clean and took some photos.

Weight before: 33.06lbs
    Weight after: 30.86lbs

I actually didnt spend any extra money as only paid £115 for the shock and sold my CCDB for £240 so made a little bit.

Heres a before and after comparison:

BEFORE:

IMG_3607_zpsb2082a7e.jpg
    image_zpsa13848cc.jpg

AFTER:

IMG_2887_zpsf24579fc.jpg
    IMG_2886_zps93d23214.jpg
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    sold the CDDB quite cheaply - where did you get the rp23 from?

do you notice the difference in weight?
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Yeah I thought that was cheap for a CCDBc
  • Yeah, a guy offered me that for it and i wanted a quick sale. Plus, it has been quite well used and has a steel spring not ti one.

Got the RP23 off a guy of Pinkbike. Brand New and Tuned for an Alpine so though why not.

Had a quick ride this afternoon and have to say it definitely feels more lively yet still feels as planted as it did before.
  • Thats what i thought, and i wanted to lose some weight on the bike so was a double win!
  • X Fusions are really good! Very plush and progressive and have every adjustment you will ever need
  • X Fusions are really good! Very plush and progressive and have every adjustment you will ever need

Probly half the price of fox and rockshox aswell.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    X Fusions are really good! Very plush and progressive and have every adjustment you will ever need

The 2014 Fox 34 is near enough £1,000 :O
    The RS Pike is a slightly more down to earth £600
  • ej2320 wrote:
    X Fusions are really good! Very plush and progressive and have every adjustment you will ever need

The 2014 Fox 34 is near enough £1,000 :O
    The RS Pike is a slightly more down to earth £600

Don't know where the extra £400 pound goes does anybody???
    Because it says fox on them ?...
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited October 2013

Don't Orange owners prefer paying over the odds though?... :wink:
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Really don't understand this hate of orange bikes....
  • ej2320
    edited October 2013
    *AJ* wrote:

He's not hating, he's just commenting on the fact Orange are poor value for money especially when you consider the 'simple' frame

Although I'll always go on the basis if you like how the bikes rides then buy it, it could also be argued Santa Cruz are a poor value
  • Kowalski675
    *AJ* wrote:

I'm just pulling his chain after his hormonal rant on the Orange hate thread, lol. I've never ridden one, but they do seem hugely overpriced, and rather agricultural.

£400 is a huge price jump that's all I was meaning.
  • Kowalski675
    I'd have the Pike. Reviews are all glowing, and those black Stanchions just look lush.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Even I'd have the Pike, and I'm a huge Fox fan. Tbf the only reason I'm considering the Pike is because they've produced the charger damper, it's sealed cartridge is meant to take the feeling of riding on the air spring away, every RS fork I've ridden felt like the damper was secondary to the air spring when controlling compression, with Fox it feels like the Damper is in complete control of the fork. Hopefully the Pike lives up to all the rave reviews, would love to have a go on one
  • ej2320
    I'll be buying a Pike soon so I'll report back when I have it

The reason I'll get it is cause I want a fork with chunky legs and I really don't see why I should spend £400 more when the Pike is claimed to be better than the 34.. Not that I can afford the 34 anyway
  • ej2320

£400 is a huge price jump that's all I was meaning.

Especially considering the Pike is claimed to be as good as if not better than the 34
    I'd only pay fox money for a Blackbox damper.. Cause that will make me as fast as Sam Hill ;)
  • Well its been a while since i updated this so here it is.

Only a few changes, 50mm Renthal Stem rather than a 35mm Pro one.

Got some green wheel stickers and added a guide with a renthal ring.

Apart from that, nothing has really changed.

Bit of a muddy photo but here it is.

th_IMG_3731_zpsefaf2a07.jpg