Good backpack for commuting?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Looking for a good back pack for commuting duties, currently using a shoulder/messenger style bag which just swings about too much for my liking. All i carry with me is my lunch in a 3.5 liter lunchbox and the usual's of wallet,keys and phone. Also might need space for a rain jacket and maybe my work top when it's too warm to wear it. Also want something with reasonable venting for the back to stop me getting too sweaty. cheers

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Alpkit 20l Gourdon.

Cheap, comfortable, 100% waterproof and comes with compression straps.

I've got two.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • skeetam
    skeetam Posts: 178
    Deuter Bike 1. Had mine for 4-5 years. It's very durable and comes with a hi-viz rain cover tucked in the bottom and plenty of useful pockets.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/deuter/bike-1-ec011770
  • I recently bought the large Proviz in yellow but without the battery powered neon triangle. Jury still out on durability, the stitching looks a bit dodgy but since I bought mine the website says the new 2014 ones are "tweaked" so maybe fixed that.

It's got pads that are meant to stop your back getting sweaty but I find that doesn't really work and I sweat like pig.

Other than that it's ace, good bits are that I've ridden in the rain and it is waterproof, the padding makes it comfy and the compartments are good. I like the little zip pocket on the top that takes my work badge without rummaging through the bag.
    I carry a lot, laptop, charger, work clothes, towel, shower stuff (can't keep anything at work) and have plenty of room, maybe the small version would suit you.
  • iand-83
    Cheers for the replies, will check out Deuter bags
    dhope wrote:

Had a look at this post but it seems the guy is after a day to day backpack over a commuter one.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    Asprilla wrote:
    Alpkit 20l Gourdon.

I've got two.

This. I've just got one and it's brilliant. Worth noting it's only £22.50 posted...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Avoid any single strap shoulder bags I strongly believe my messenger bag is the reason I now have serious neck problems.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 3.5l lunchbox? Are you really filling that up with food?
    What about leaving the box at work and storing everything else at the jersey's back pocket and in one of the bottle cages?
    I prefer that way as I have a complete freedom of movement and nothing pressing against my back.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    itboffin wrote:
    Avoid any single strap shoulder bags I strongly believe my messenger bag is the reason I now have serious neck problems.

Would second that - girl in the office currently walking around with one of those warmed bean bag things around her neck for the very same reason.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    willy b wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Alpkit 20l Gourdon.

I've got two.

This. I've just got one and it's brilliant. Worth noting it's only £22.50 posted...

Good bags but no venting on the back right? My 25l one doesn't anyway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    tilt wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Alpkit 20l Gourdon.

I've got two.

Does back venting actually work for anyone? Airflow between the pads is minimal. Snake oil as far as I'm concerned. I've got Deuter, Ortleib, Lowe Alpine, etc (thanks to cycling I have more bags and shoes than my wife) which have venting and I still find that the only things that stops me getting a sweaty back are riding slower, not using a bag or a combination of the two.

Despite all the bags I own, if I need a rucksack for the commute then I reach for the Gourdon without fail.

Also, it weighs almost nothing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tilt
    tilt Posts: 214
    No, I don't think I've ever found venting actually works, but it was one of the OPs requirements :wink:

Tbf I just use panniers.
  • RC21
    RC21 Posts: 166
    Another purchase made because of these forums - I really need to stop coming here. . . :D
    £22.50 spent

Thanks!
    RC
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Asprilla wrote:
    tilt wrote:
    willy b wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Alpkit 20l Gourdon.

I've got two.

Does back venting actually work for anyone? Airflow between the pads is minimal. Snake oil as far as I'm concerned. I've got Deuter, Ortleib, Lowe Alpine, etc (thanks to cycling I have more bags and shoes than my wife) which have venting and I still find that the only things that stops me getting a sweaty back are riding slower, not using a bag or a combination of the two.

Despite all the bags I own, if I need a rucksack for the commute then I reach for the Gourdon without fail.

Also, it weighs almost nothing.

Yes - my favourite daysac /commuting rucsac.

And Alpkit are good on their customer service
  • iand-83
    I think I can cross making me not sweat off the list I guess any bag will do that no matter how fancy it is!

I have seen an Osprey back pack that I might pop along to my local outdoor shop and have a look at, I seem to be quite fussy about bags so like to try them on first before committing to a buy.
    hegyestomi wrote:
    3.5l lunchbox? Are you really filling that up with food?
    What about leaving the box at work and storing everything else at the jersey's back pocket and in one of the bottle cages?
    I prefer that way as I have a complete freedom of movement and nothing pressing against my back.

Yes it is full of food! Most of it is fruit and a Muller corner yogurt! I could possibly down size it a bit and put anything that's not likely to make a mess loose in the bag of just inside a carrier bag in the backpack.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    jimmypippa wrote:

And Alpkit are good on their customer service

Agree with that. You even get a little hand written thank you in your order. 8)
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    http://www.outdoorclearance.co.uk/index ... googlebase

Got one of these, it's doing the job so far.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Tetley10 wrote:

Been using one of those for the past couple of months, nice and compact which keeps your back cool (venting may or may not help!) and has reflective details so you don't need to worry too much about a cover for it... unless it rains. Padding is also comfy.

Have ordered one of the 30l Lomo drybags recently but not had a chance to try it out yet:
    http://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/drybag-daypack.html - probably worth considering though if 20l is too small for you in the Gourdon and you want the secondary storage.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    the 20litre gourdon has a couple of mesh poskets and shockcord netting(?) on the back, so it is more usable than the 25l or 30l for me.

I mainly use panniers on my bike and the rucsac when on the hill and there I find that on gentle sections you can get pretty reasonable venting on most backpacks by tightening the waist belt and having the straps really loose so that the rucsac hangs on the waist belt. This only works if it isn't too heavily loaded. I sometimes also have my rucsac off one shoulder for the same reason.

Again, not really useful on a bike - but that is why I use panniers most of the time