Clothing suggestions for winter

richmarriott84
richmarriott84 Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all

I'm pretty new to road cycling, I got my first bike at the end of last winter and remember how cold it could get! I really want to keep cycling though the winter months as I've really enjoyed this summer but I have a few problems...

Clothing is a minefield, what do I need to keep at the right temp? Last year I couldn't get the balance right, that added micro fleece sometimes too much and sometimes not enough. Mainly my feet and hands were freezing!!

Next... is it me or do all cyclists have really deep pockets? I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible and looking at some of the gear will need to take out a second mortgage. I did invest in some dhb bib shorts which have been brilliant and have been using my mtb bontranger gloves but they are no way warm enough!

Basically I want some really good winter gear on a budget (if that exists).

Thanks in advance
Rich

Comments

• Also does everyone stick with the same tyres in the winter? Suggestions on this welcome too :)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I can wear up to 4 layers. My base layer in winter is a thermal long sleeve top from M&S - I think I bought 2 for £20. Then a long sleeved cycling top from Aldi - I have a few that have been going for years that cost about £10 each. I have a thin Bontranger gilet that cost £25 a few years ago, and then a thin Endura jacket that cost about £70 last year. If it gets warmer during the ride both top layers can come off and fit in my back pocket. Also wear Aldi winter gloves - bought for about £6 a few years ago, and I also wear cheap Aldi leg warmers under my shorts. That lot usually keeps me warm in all but the very worst of weather.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    You don't have to spent a fortune and you just mix and match, It can be hard to find that happy medium where you don't freeze or fry.
    Overshoes and winter socks will cover cool, cold and wet.
    Winter gloves and a glove liner, I use Endura windchill gloves with a cheap Altura glove liner for really cold days and these saw me through last winter without and issue.
    Scull cap or merino peaked cycling cap for your noggin.
    A lightweight buff.
    A cold weather base layer.
    A Gilet
    A softshell.
    Roubaix bib tights.

This list can go on and on.
  • Brilliant thanks guys some great ideas! Looks like I'm off to m and s, decathlon and aldi! Also spotted another post earlier with long padded trousers for £20 that everyone seems to rate.
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    ZXWINTER_P1.jpg

This could be useful, £17 for all of the above! - http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXW ... ter_bundle

I have the overshoes and they are brilliant and really help against the cold, they are usually £10 so all that is a bargain.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Socks, long johns, underwear, boots, thick jumpers, Sou-Westers, balaclavas...
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    shorts, short sleeve jersey, like to go for the full zip as I get too hot otherwise.

When it gets really cold I have a pair of spring arm warmers, but then I'm a wuss :D

I have a pair of gloves with fingers, but had to cut the fingers off as my hands were getting all sweaty.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Layers. Thats the trick.

Put on as many layers as you can (as in everything) so you are nice and toasty before you go out the door.

Personally, I would go for base layer, S/S jersey, L/S jersey, breathable jacket and waterproof jacket. Add on shorts, longs, overshoes, 2 pairs of socks, gloves with liners and a skull cap and I would be ready for anything.

Then simply peel them off as you warm up.

Your next question will probably be, which backpack should I get? But that is for another thread.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Plus pipe and slippers warming by the fire for when you get in. :lol:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    There's an old boy who I see every morning on his bike as he rides to the next village to get a paper and no matter what the weather he's always out, when the weather gets wet and stormy he dons a cycle cape a bit like this

ttwg.jpg

It looks so sensible to me, I'm going to get one too :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Ballysmate wrote:

Plus pipe and slippers warming by the fire for when you get in. :lol:

And a wee dram :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Brilliant thanks guys some great ideas! Looks like I'm off to m and s, decathlon and aldi! Also spotted another post earlier with long padded trousers for £20 that everyone seems to rate.
    I should have mentioned that Aldi only have a cycling sale a few times a year. They are advertised on their website under Special Buys near to the time and are usually on a Thursday, and you will get a few cyclists queueing outside waiting for the stores to open when the sale starts, as the good stuff goes quickly. Lidl have similar cycling sales a couple of times a year.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    It's all about the layers or....

0412.angusbikesiberia.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Just noticed Wiggle have clothing discount vouchers on today.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    team47b wrote:
    shorts, short sleeve jersey, like to go for the full zip as I get too hot otherwise.

When it gets really cold I have a pair of spring arm warmers, but then I'm a wuss :D

I have a pair of gloves with fingers, but had to cut the fingers off as my hands were getting all sweaty.

Fair weather cyclists.... :roll:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • MartAstur
    MartAstur Posts: 122
    I bought some Castelli Toe Thingies last year and wore them under the overshoes. Kept the feet nice and warm all winter. Wouldn't want to be without them.
  • apparently if its below 15degrees - your knees need warming or it can cause damage. So Shorts is a nono.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    An alternative to buying tights - a long pair of football socks pulled up over your knees. These worked for me last year when I was in the same position as the OP - just starting out, on a budget without a clue what I actually needed.

I would also look at the nike clima cool base layers. I had a load from playing football. Chilly days I would wear a short sleeve, cold days a long sleeve and freezing cold days I would wear both. You can get them from Sports direct for about £10 each and I found this with a long sleeve jersey would keep me warm enough.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Dolan have got some good deals on at the moment, I just got some Lotto Belisol 3/4 bibs for £25 reduced from £75, they have some OPQS stuff as well
  • I disagree with the "add more layers" solution.I wear my Gore Windstopper softshell jacket with only a base layer and have never been cold around my torso and arms.(I'm not a fair weather cyclist)
    A lot of the cold that us cyclists feel in winter is generated by wind chill. Windstopper fabric does what it says on the tin. From personal experience it is comfier and warmer than multiple layers.
  • One word...Aldis. You just missed the winter cycling range unfortunately but I cant rate it highly enough. Have been using their winter tights, shell jackets, winter jersey and gloves for a few years now and cant rate it highly enough. Plus...cheap as chips. Keep an eye out on the website, it comes back from time to time.
  • I disagree with the "add more layers" solution.I wear my Gore Windstopper softshell jacket with only a base layer and have never been cold around my torso and arms.(I'm not a fair weather cyclist)
    A lot of the cold that us cyclists feel in winter is generated by wind chill. Windstopper fabric does what it says on the tin. From personal experience it is comfier and warmer than multiple layers.

This ^^^ and buy a gilet. It is the most versatile piece of kit you will have. If you are too warm it will pack small enough that you won't notice it in your back pocket.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Windproof softshell > waterproof material

This winter I've added a Craft Cap with visor and ear warmers to use alongside my buff. Another essential.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Most of the winter I'm warm enough in roubaix bibtights, thin but thermal LS baselayer and Gore Phantom windstopper jacket. If it's really cold I might switch to a merino baselayer (but I find it doesn't wick as well). One Buff over head / ears and a second round my neck, decent gloves, woolie boolie socks and Planet X neoprene overshoes.

The Phantom has zip off sleeves so if it warms up too much I can quickly turn it into a gilet. It's also reasonably water repellent but dries quickly and is very breathable, so it's perfect for much of our autumn / winter / spring weather. Marvellous piece of clothing.
  • dai_t75
    dai_t75 Posts: 189
    keef66 wrote:
    Most of the winter I'm warm enough in roubaix bibtights, thin but thermal LS baselayer and Gore Phantom windstopper jacket. If it's really cold I might switch to a merino baselayer (but I find it doesn't wick as well). One Buff over head / ears and a second round my neck, decent gloves, woolie boolie socks and Planet X neoprene overshoes.

The Phantom has zip off sleeves so if it warms up too much I can quickly turn it into a gilet. It's also reasonably water repellent but dries quickly and is very breathable, so it's perfect for much of our autumn / winter / spring weather. Marvellous piece of clothing.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Phantom... the other half wouldn't be impressed if I dropped £100+ on a jacket though. Are there any cheaper alternatives to the Phantom that you know about? I realise the quality won't be up to the same standard.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I only have one because a fellow forumite spotted Wiggle selling them off for £70-ish. It was about this time of year. I think my wife then gave it to me for Christmas!

Anything with Windstopper front / sleeves would do. Must be cheaper options out there.
  • keef66 wrote:
    Anything with Windstopper front / sleeves would do. Must be cheaper options out there.

Endura Windchill 2 - just got myself one from Tredz for £72 and quite pleased with it so far.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... ket-32190/