???What Make is this, Anyone hazard a guess???

cljcars
cljcars Posts: 18
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Had this Bike for a while now, great fast ride for an old giffer. Was told it was a 1970's Aluminium framed racer which I can't dispute. It is all aluminium and very light, been outfitted with more modern components shimano 105 and campagnolo gear and looks really good once cleaned and polished.

So any Idea chaps. Was thinking off selling it so it would be nice to know for the Add.

Cheers

IMAG0002_zps4e76f6c6.jpg

IMAG0161_zpsb7272381.jpg

IMAG0160_zpsfd5d5bad.jpg

IMAG0159_zps40ad83b9.jpg

IMAG0158_zps84dcf5e0.jpg

IMAG0157_zpsc58c56bc.jpg

IMAG0156_zps63722b8e.jpg

IMAG0154_zps4a0adfab.jpg

Comments

• whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    If it's a welded Al frame I doubt it's from the 1970's. The only 1970's Al frame I can think of is Vitus and they were bonded (glued). Also it would have a 126 mm rear spacing which would make getting a 8/9/10 speed (130 mm) hub in pretty difficult. More lightly to be early to mid 90's.
  • cljcars
    Cheers, who made Ally frames for Road bikes then, Loads I bet!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    It's fairly early 90s if it is - note the D/T levers

As for type, are you sure it's aluminium? Steel seems more likely

Cannondale kicked off mid-70s but they'd be obvious as fat tubes 'n' all

There was a batch of Kettlers imported in the 80s, not sure about their build method but was skinny tubed

As a PS, my local bike fiddler Spirit bikes have an old Vitus ally bike hanging up in their workshop - red, no less. It's clucking gorgeous.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    It could be an Alan?
  • cljcars
    It is definately an alloy frame. Not magnetic and the welds are as you would expect but dressed smooth.
  • cljcars
    Added some Photos after a bit of a clean. Any better?
  • It is a bicycle and anyone's guess unless it is stamped who made it... it is whatever you want it to be... if you want it to be a Pinarello, get some decals, otherwise write your name on it or leave it as it is
    left the forum March 2023
  • cljcars
    Ok, thanks for the advice, no intention of altering it.
  • I am a big fan of Shimergo setups and as such it gets my vote!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Hmm, old 'Dale a possibility indeed. But the forks don't look like anything fitted from the factory on those. Maybe browse the pics in the old catalogs here: http://www.vintagecannondale.com

You can check by looking on the inner face of the dropouts - if there are initials engraved there, it probably is. They used to do that - whoever was the welder who made each frame would put their initials there.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Still not convinced it's a 'dale, and didn't Alan frames have the same lugged construction as Vitus?

Early Giant/etc - did these come with D/T shifters?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • cljcars
    Looked through all the historic Dale photos from that website and think I have ruled them out. None of them have the rear brake cable going through the top tube like this one.

Try Giant next!
  • Not sure that it is a Giant, think they had a mono stay...could be a Coyote, they were around in the early 90's, made some quite nice Mtn Bike and road frames.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Any clues on the underside of the bottom bracket shell? Perhaps there's a frame no. with an identifiable prefix or suffix
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Looks like a Shogun to me. They were the first Ali frames I remember seeing a lot of.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Didn't notice the internal brake cable routing. I'd have suggested an Avanti Giro Pro from the mid 90's, as I had one which looked very similar to that but IIRC the brake was external route. They did do nice alloy frames back then though. Can't find much on them online.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Yosti
    Yosti Posts: 36
    It could be an early Principia 700. I know that the drop is not the same but they made alot of different models

10447778144_52ba0c2a2f_c_d.jpg
  • cljcars
    Well, thats interesting, The fine detail considered it could be either of those makers.

Thanks for you help chaps, The Knowledge on here is exceptional.

Cheers