Help for a new bike purchase for a beginner

gshep1873
gshep1873 Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi there

I am knew to mountain biking and I am looking for some advice on what bike to get. I have been on a few trails and in particular the new commonwealth games track which is minutes from my house. Therefore I am keen to improve and learn more about the sport.

Can someone advise me how much I need to spend to have a bike that is equipped for trails such as this, carronvalley and glentress. Would I be better to purchase a full suspension or a hardtail? Also what brands would you recommend? I am buying through a cycle to work scheme so I have to purchase from halfords.

Thanks
Sheps

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Good description of what you need a bike to do. What budget are you looking at ?
  • Thanks

Was thinking £700ish if I need to stretch that far but really not sure if I will benefit from it with my lack of experience.

Thanks for your help.
  • Look at boardman , carrera and voodoo , of the three I would go boardman . Hardtail in your price range definitely .
  • Thanks

Think I will go for boardman comp ht 650B 2014 or team ht 650B 2014 if you suggest boardman
  • Don't rule out Decathlon's RR 8.1

It might be £150 under your budget but it's still a great spec bike for the money
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I'd say Boardman hardtail for sure. 100mm-120mm travel up front. 27.5 wheels are probably a good all round choice if new to the sport, if you don't have aload of 26inch tyres in your shed like me. Main thing is that it fits, so I'd go in and see what you fancy & sit on a few.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.