Randoms on Strava?

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2013 in Commuting chat
OK, I've not got my settings set to "ask" but I've had a couple of odd people start following me recently - I'm not that special that I warrant it!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1896443

This bloke today - lives in Jakarta, averages 50 miles a day/longest ride 250 miles ( :shock: )

Another a couple of days ago

http://www.strava.com/athletes/776685

He's Spanish (apparently) but is following 7000+ people with 1000+ following him & he hardly rides!

Anyone else getting these randoms? Whats the point?

Rushes off to change settings

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I've got my settings on lock down on the basis of the stories about crims strava searching.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I got one yesterday. He's localish and follows about 1000 people with about 50 following him.

I'm assuming he's followed me after seeing we've ridden the same segments. However the Johnny Foreigners are a bit odd.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I've had the exact same as the OP. Who knows what pleasure people can get from seeing the same route ridden by a random stranger 10 times a week ad infinitum...
  • Antonio just started following me a couple of days ago, too :?

Bizarre - and slightly suspicious, in a 'can't really work out what harm he could do' kind of way.
  • Social networking
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Could just be the start of a beautiful friendship...
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    people could work out your routines and if they can find you facebook page your living habits

there is a lot of identify theft going to occur in the coming years, if not just old plain house thefts like with footballers
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • Mikey23
    The Jakarta guy looks legit... Probably just a bit over enthusiastic

Mr Sanchez seems a bit of a dork... 7 rides in a year and following 7000... Bizarre and weird I would say. As someone above said, it seems harmless but their May be a sinister hidden reason...
  • I was being followed for a while by a lady a few villages down who describes herself as a "freelance lesbian". If you're going to have a stalker...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I've got my settings on lock down on the basis of the stories about crims strava searching.

Yeah this would concern me, they can probably work out where you live and when you're out then burgle you...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Yeah this would concern me, they can probably work out where you live and when you're out then burgle you...

Or they could just ring your bell and if they get no answer smash a back window.

And if someone answers, just ask for a random name then apologise when they realise it's the wrong house.

A age old tried and tested method which has to be easier than stalking someone on Strava. :roll:
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah this would concern me, they can probably work out where you live and when you're out then burgle you...

Or they could just ring your bell and if they get no answer smash a back window.

And if someone answers, just ask for a random name then apologise when they realise it's the wrong house.

A age old tried and tested method which has to be easier than stalking someone on Strava. :roll:
    But they can't guarantee that just because someone hasn't answered that no one's in. I barely ever answer the door when someone rings it and I'm not expecting anyone. IME it's a Jehovah's Witness, someone calling for 1 of the other flats and for some inexplicable reason feels the need to ring all 4 doorbells or someone trying to deliver something for someone else. I never get unannounced callers who I actually want to speak to - I live in London, most of my friends are scattered across the city and never just pop round for a coffee or whatever...

However by tracking your regular movements on Strava they can get an idea of when you are regularly out and know when your bike is likely to be at home - in the garage or in a shed etc which they can raid...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I dunno, all seems a bit convoluted for relatively straightforward crime like burglary/nicking bikes. I suppose they might target quick cyclists who come from nice areas on the basis that they'd likely be riding blingy bikes. So I'd be safe on all three counts.
  • I barely ever answer the door when someone rings it and I'm not expecting anyone.

Good move, you just never know who is outside.....

scary-clown.gif
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Why did you have to have a pic of the clown.

C'mon man, that is just plain scary.

'shudder'
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Ugh that's horrible. I hate clowns.

And what's a freelance lesbian? I just asked a couple of lesbians at work and they didn't even know.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    msmancunia wrote:
    Ugh that's horrible. I hate clowns.

And what's a freelance lesbian? I just asked a couple of lesbians at work and they didn't even know.

Well, she's obviously just self-employed... erm, maybe :?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I never even thought of that. We were wondering if she was up for grabs as opposed to having a girlfriend. Maybe she's treating Strava like a cyclist's version of Guardian Soulmates...
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Good timing with this thread, I have this random person up in liverpool who is giving me kudos on each of my rides even though they are nothing special. Its just me commuting to and from work!

Feeling a little worried!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • jspash
    jspash Posts: 107
    Ive gotten quite a few kudos in recent days from people in England but nowhere near London - or wherever it is that I securely lock my bike when I'm done riding it ;)

I can see how a Strava follower could be casing for future burglaries, but what could they glean from a kudo?
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    Check your car stereo!!!
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    Just picked up a new one. Born Barikor of Norff London. Anyone on here? He's ridden once, yesterday, and is following 975 people.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Just picked up a new one. Born Barikor of Norff London. Anyone on here? He's ridden once, yesterday, and is following 975 people.

He's a busy boy, only following 670 people when he followed me earlier today. Pity you can't remove followers and block them

Edit:
    Ah - you can
    https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2094 ... y-Settings
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mikey23
    A physique like that after one ride ...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Born clicked to follow me yesterday. Denied.

Was the the topless (in his picture) dude? Honestly I swear one day ITB will follow me.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    And I thought Born only had eyes for me.

Gutted.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mikey23
    ... And I'm feeling just a little left out
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Born added me. Denied and blocked.
    Who's the guy on here with an avatar of a cartoon character with a scarf blowing in the wind? I'm making him sweat....