Second Marrakech Atlas Etape Registration

Registration now open for this challenging event which takes place on Sunday 27 April, from Marrakech to Oukaimedan in the Atlas mountains. Climb from 495 metres to 2,642 metres in 70 kms and 140 kms in total. All proceeds to help educate girls from the rural Atlas. http://www.marrakech-atlas-etape.com/

“ Would I go back and ride the Marrakech Atlas Etape again? 100%. A great event, super-friendly and extremely well organized.” Mat Brett, road.cc

“ It is everything you can want as a cyclist, an off-the-beaten-track, adventurous challenge with great people in aid of a great cause. I really cannot recommend this event enough—truly exceptional.” James Tuffs

Comments

• “ It is everything you can want as a cyclist, an off-the-beaten-track, adventurous challenge with great people in aid of a great cause. I really cannot recommend this event enough—truly exceptional.” James Tuffs

...this man rode it on a Brompton last year :shock: 8)
  • I rode this last year - great ride and wonderful organisation - a very worthwhile cause - i shall definitely be back for more...
  • One of the great sportives in the world, this event will become a classic sportive in years to come... in short epic!!!
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Recommended!

I've been to Morocco a number of times for road cycling trips, arranged through a local agency called Mountain Voyage, each one has culminated in an ascent to the ski station at Oukaimeden (known locally as Ouka). I missed the inaugural Marrakech Atlas Etape, but I'm booked to do it in 2014.

Morocco is a great place to visit and Marrakech is a rather special city. Not far away are the Atlas mountains, you soon get into spectacular rural/mountainous countryside which is probably at its best in April. It is usually warm rather than hot and the countryside is green and lush.

The climb to Ouka is as good a challenge as you'll find in the high mountains of Europe. A steady climb along the plain out of Marrakech, a rolling run up the Ourika Valley before turning right onto the Oukaimeden road. The final ramp is 28km up to 2650 metres or so.

It's probably worth spending a few days in/around Marrakech or up in one of mountain hotels (the Berber town of Imlil is a great place to stay, be it in a hiking lodge or the fabulous Kasbah du Toubkal). There is plenty to see and the tour operators can arrange cheap transport for you and your bikes if you want to explore (or tick-off) passes like the Tizi n'Test.

It's been a couple of years since I've been, but I rode my regular road bike with 28C tyres IIRC. Love the Brompton!
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    is it only €80 for this or do you have to raise a minimum sponsorship as well ? Might be interested in this work commitments willing
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    There's no sponsorship commitment.