BMX

welsh_one
welsh_one Posts: 57
edited October 2013 in Commuting general
Anybody else own a bmx. I'm 35 for gods sake :oops:
Seen a Gt slammer in my village for sale. Am I childish for wanting one.
Could use it back and forth work when all this snow comes :wink:
Dawes Audex Clubman 2012.
Carrera Subway Limited Edition 2011 ( NOW SOLD )

Comments

• samtope
    samtope Posts: 18
    When my boy is old enough for his 1st bmx, I'm going to get one too. Can't wait! Never too old!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    same age, but its been at least 5 years since I owned a bmx, but never too old

still take the dj to the skate park once in a while

there is a thin line of having a bike that a youth can never afford and being told to "fuckoff grandad"

if they can get that far off the ground or pull 3's (which they cant) then it is the children that should fuckoff

and its really annoying the "how much is that" and "what's it called" it only has 2 words on the frame - mountain and cycle...... the youth of today........
  • estampida wrote:
    and its really annoying the "how much is that" and "what's it called" it only has 2 words on the frame - mountain and cycle...... the youth of today........

"Can you do flips?"

Every form of cycling has its bugbears. When I'm on the road it's inconsiderate drivers, when I am on my MTB it is horses and walkers, and when I am BMXing it is scooter kids

Still own a BMX and ride when I get the chance. Not far from the 70's concrete Mecca that is Southsea. In fact 3 or 4 of us (25 - 32 yrs old) are off for a road trip to the North in a couple of weeks to visit some of the indoor parks up there. Not sure I would want to commute on my BMX though.
  • Do It!!!
    I'm 42 and still have my old green GT Pro Performer in the garage. It's my summer bike.
    Still turns heads - some random bloke stopped me and offered me £200 for it.

(Monkey - I'm based in the NE now, but I used to be a Southsea regular. Used to get the train down from Southampton every weekend.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • (Monkey - I'm based in the NE now, but I used to be a Southsea regular. Used to get the train down from Southampton every weekend.)

You should try and make it down for the King of Concrete event they've rejuvenated. Some of the old skool legends like Dennis Wingham still turn up and shred.

We're heading NW for our road trip. Manchester and Liverpool.
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    I'm 36 and I still have a BMX. Although its pretty old school - i.e. really heavy. Its what gave me back problems at the end of my 20s, so I hardly ever ride it anymore, plus it needs new tyres/wheels/chain etc etc... I keep wanting to buy a newer lighter one, but SWMBO keeps stopping me. If I see a bargain for about £150 or less I might splash out though. I still have lots of friends who ride BMX who are in their late 30s and 40s. I saw a friend the other day who is also 36 who, a short while ago, didn't get his feet back on after a no foot can can and crushed a testicle! One of my friends is still a pro BMX rider and I think he is 40 now - so you're not too old to ride BMX!

I thought about commuting on my old beast, but I work in Crystal Palace and I doubt I would make it up the hill. I used to use it to commute when I worked in London, I rode to the station instead of getting the bus then got the train then rode instead of getting on the tube great fun - and, if you disregard the law and the safety of yourself and everyone around you, its the fastest way around town! :twisted:
  • I got a Haro 300.3 for my birthday a few years ago - my 40th :D . I have never owned one before and can't do any tricks but it is just good fun to try things on it. There is someone here at my work that rides a bmx in - i see it parked in the racks - but i have not identfied whose it is yet.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Got a dirt jump bike. Don't think I'd manage to slip a bmx past the bike, even though it's the only bike left I'd like for my collection..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • You should try and make it down for the King of Concrete event they've rejuvenated. Some of the old skool legends like Dennis Wingham still turn up and shred.
    We're heading NW for our road trip. Manchester and Liverpool.

That's a blast from the past! I'm surprised he is still walking, let alone riding. He used to try some dangerous sh*t in the old bowl.

Unfortunately I don't shred anymore. Years of BMXing/skating/snowboarding have left my knees in bits.
    I'm only good for long XC runs on a mountain bike now, and even then, I'm hobbling for a couple of days afterwards.
    Have a good trip to the NW...
  • Anyone remember Andy Ruffell?? :D

I used to be glued to the TV on Saturday mornings!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjOnC2u6-rg
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • Anyone remember Andy Ruffell?? :D

Certainly do...
    (If you look at his biog now, he has come a long way from BMXing...
    Him and a colleague created the MOBOs! And his company hosts loads of other high-profile events.)