Cervelo R3

cerv50
cerv50 Posts: 272
edited December 2013 in Your road bikes
My newest acquisition, an R3 Dark Edition size 54

105 groupset and upgraded Ultegra wheels. The saddle has also been swapped following this photo as the Selle that came with it was horrendous! First test run tomorrow after work then riding up to watch the Tour of Britain Saturday :)

d9fad0b8-b481-4ff5-b21e-3daef9ef0740_zps888d9b99.jpg

Comments

• racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    Wow, looks great! Enjoy your first ride :-)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Tasty.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    What bike?...all I can see is a wall of gabion baskets, with a wooden bench :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • amey
    amey Posts: 430
    Can I ask how much was this?
  • cerv50
    smidsy wrote:
    What bike?...all I can see is a wall of gabion baskets, with a wooden bench :-)

LOL its in disguise...

Will get some better pics when it stops blooming raining
  • cerv50
    amey wrote:
    Can I ask how much was this?

PM replied to :)
  • cerv50
    racingt wrote:
    Wow, looks great! Enjoy your first ride :-)

Managed to sneek a 10 minute blast up the road earlier and it feels very different to my S5. Looking forward to seeing how it climbs at the weekend :)
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Cervelo R3 Dark, bargain of the year....

Nice bike :D
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • cerv50
    maxlite wrote:
    Cervelo R3 Dark, bargain of the year....

Nice bike :D

That's what they are saying, not quite an R5 but as close as you can get without spending another £1500 just for the frameset.

Still not had a chance to ride it properly yet so will comment once I have :)
  • Cant wait to get mine - 3 weeks left

Got a few upgrades waiting in the garage but nothing silly as this bike is all about bang for your buck !!
  • Lovely bike. Hope it rides as good as it looks.

Where did you get the stand from incidentally?
  • cerv50
    Thanks for everyone's comments :) Stand came from CRC but they are available elsewhere
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    looks great - fantastic offer wish I was buying a new bike this year, not next :(
  • My Local shop had 38 coming in and they have all sold. Hope there not all in this area or I will see a few :(
  • Any of these available in the middle of the UK? I've only seen them advertised by a couple of south coast shops.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Nice bike ! In what way is the ride different to your S5 ?
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • cerv50
    First ride of the R3 yesterday and WOW its amazing! So light and nimble and seemed to really fly. Very comfortable and an ideal sportive bike IMO. I rode the S5 this morning and they are like night and day, so different. The S5 is a much harsher ride which I hadn't really noticed before and being of an aero design it just wants to go faster and faster, which is ok if your legs have it in them lol. The R3 is much more relaxed but still urges you to put the power down. Obviously the gearing on the R3 being only 105 is no where near the same standard as the DA9000 on the S5 but still quick and easy to use. I'm a high cadence rider and the R3 suits that too. Be interesting to take the R3 out to one of my favourite local hill climbs in the next couple of weeks to see how we go :D
  • Any of these available in the middle of the UK? I've only seen them advertised by a couple of south coast shops.

Likewise. I'm still on the lookout for one a bit closer to the grim north west!

Lovely bike btw......
  • cerv50
    Looks like Primera Sports still have some but they are down south too. Tri Store, Eastbourne where I got mine only has a 58cm left according to their website. Good luck in your search guys :)
  • Very nice, did anyone confirm if these had the upgraded forks?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Very nice bike. I love Cervelos.
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    1 x 56cm at Royles
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Just been to a mentioned bike shop and they confirmed that the frame is definitely an R5 frame that has been repainted. The reason they call it an R3 is because if they have to replace under warranty then it will be with an R3 not an R5 frame.

I just saw one with the new Force 22 and Fulcrum wheels. Not the greatest wheels but the whole bike is less than the frame was sold for.

They won't confirm the forks and I reckon this is too keep the resale of the R5 up.

Still a great deal and when they're gone then that's it you will need to buy the new R3 with internal cables.
  • cerv50
    Boxsters wrote:
    Just been to a mentioned bike shop and they confirmed that the frame is definitely an R5 frame that has been repainted. The reason they call it an R3 is because if they have to replace under warranty then it will be with an R3 not an R5 frame.

I just saw one with the new Force 22 and Fulcrum wheels. Not the greatest wheels but the whole bike is less than the frame was sold for.

They won't confirm the forks and I reckon this is too keep the resale of the R5 up.

Still a great deal and when they're gone then that's it you will need to buy the new R3 with internal cables.

Did they mention the Force 22 version is £3k so not so much of a bargain IMO
  • 2014 R3 (with internal cables) will have a 105 equipped model for the 2k also.
  • cerv50
    The 2014 model looks nice and especially seeing it has internal cables but I prefer mine as it has splashes of red on it ;)

http://www.togoparts.com/articles/news.php?artid=3053
  • True you can buy a 2014 R3 for £2000 but it is definitely an R3 and not a repainted R5 as it is from a new mould :)
  • Internal cabling? Bloody hell thats a mighty step forward :wink:
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Boxsters
    Boxsters Posts: 325
    Its finally arrived and I am very pleased!

After having 2 of my bikes stolen I shopped around for a while looking for a new ride. After much deliberation I decided on a new Cervelo R3 and the Dark edition really caught my eye especially with the great price.

Ok so the bargain bike didn't quite stay that way after I ended up using some parts I had in the garage and some wheels I had for another build but I am very happy with the results.
    I had an Ultegra groupset that was waiting to go on my winter steed but I realised that if I sent it back I could swap it for new Dura Ace 9000 and put the 105 on my winter bike.

I wanted to put a bike together that was just right for me with the best parts I could afford without going to a silly budget. I have built many bikes and I hand picked each part for this one. I know I probably could have bought a similar spec Canyon but the bike I now have is from my LBS and this means I support them and I have a 2 mile trip if there are any issues.

I am really happy with the end results. The new Ultegra brakes match in with the frame and the Dura Ace cables are a pretty close colour. Even the Rotor crank is spot on for me although this did take a lot of setting up to get it to work with the 11 speed cassette and Praxis rings.

I know it could be lighter (xpresso 12 pedals, stem , seat post) but I didn't want to spend money on things that I felt would have no real advantage to me. For instance I love the iclic pedal system but know that the bearings are made of butter so why would I pay another £60 to save 50g on something I couldn't service. The FSA stuff is not that light but its stiff and I like the way it looks.

Now if the weather could sort itself out then I might get to ride it as at the moment I have done about 5 miles but even in that short time I can tell I am going to like it. I really hope the braking gets quieter ssccrreeeccchhh !!!!!

Many thanks to Primera sports for getting me one and Dennis at Cyclefix for his attention to detail putting it together.

Cervelo R3 Dark Edition
    Mavic Kysrium SLR wheels
    Dura Ace 9000 front mech
    Dura Ace 9000 rear mech
    Dura Ace 9000 STI levers
    Rotor 3D+ crankset
    Praxis semi compact chainrings
    Ultegra 6800 cassette
    KMC x11 sl chain
    Ultegra 6800 brakes
    FSA SLK seat post
    FSA SLK stem
    Fizik Arione kium saddle
    Bontrager Isozone RXL bars
    Time Xpresso 4 pedals

Weight 14.90 lbs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406331293/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406121804/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406159805/

If only I could learn to post pictures correctly :?
  • Boxsters wrote:
    Its finally arrived and I am very pleased!

After having 2 of my bikes stolen I shopped around for a while looking for a new ride. After much deliberation I decided on a new Cervelo R3 and the Dark edition really caught my eye especially with the great price.

Ok so the bargain bike didn't quite stay that way after I ended up using some parts I had in the garage and some wheels I had for another build but I am very happy with the results.
    I had an Ultegra groupset that was waiting to go on my winter steed but I realised that if I sent it back I could swap it for new Dura Ace 9000 and put the 105 on my winter bike.

I wanted to put a bike together that was just right for me with the best parts I could afford without going to a silly budget. I have built many bikes and I hand picked each part for this one. I know I probably could have bought a similar spec Canyon but the bike I now have is from my LBS and this means I support them and I have a 2 mile trip if there are any issues.

I am really happy with the end results. The new Ultegra brakes match in with the frame and the Dura Ace cables are a pretty close colour. Even the Rotor crank is spot on for me although this did take a lot of setting up to get it to work with the 11 speed cassette and Praxis rings.

I know it could be lighter (xpresso 12 pedals, stem , seat post) but I didn't want to spend money on things that I felt would have no real advantage to me. For instance I love the iclic pedal system but know that the bearings are made of butter so why would I pay another £60 to save 50g on something I couldn't service. The FSA stuff is not that light but its stiff and I like the way it looks.

Now if the weather could sort itself out then I might get to ride it as at the moment I have done about 5 miles but even in that short time I can tell I am going to like it. I really hope the braking gets quieter ssccrreeeccchhh !!!!!

Many thanks to Primera sports for getting me one and Dennis at Cyclefix for his attention to detail putting it together.

Cervelo R3 Dark Edition
    Mavic Kysrium SLR wheels
    Dura Ace 9000 front mech
    Dura Ace 9000 rear mech
    Dura Ace 9000 STI levers
    Rotor 3D+ crankset
    Praxis semi compact chainrings
    Ultegra 6800 cassette
    KMC x11 sl chain
    Ultegra 6800 brakes
    FSA SLK seat post
    FSA SLK stem
    Fizik Arione kium saddle
    Bontrager Isozone RXL bars
    Time Xpresso 4 pedals

Weight 14.90 lbs

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406331293/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406121804/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/93749564@N06/10406159805/

If only I could learn to post pictures correctly :?

'tis a lovely thing indeed..........as the yoof today say "well jel"....njoy it in 2014.......