Not making them like they used to?

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited October 2013 in Pro race
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• josame
    Sorry bored at work

Retitle: not making any more like him are they?
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I think RichN95 did a good piece on this in one of the other threads recently.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Goes to show just how amazing Gilbert was in 2011.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Seems a strange way of calcuating the points. Maertens 1977 season is surely worth a mention (overall and 13 stages of the Vuelta to name but one race) and he won paris Nice and took 5 stages in the 1976 season that also seems to be not worth points.
  • frenchfighter
    inseine wrote:
    Seems a strange way of calcuating the points. Maertens 1977 season is surely worth a mention (overall and 13 stages of the Vuelta to name but one race) and he won paris Nice and took 5 stages in the 1976 season that also seems to be not worth points.

I thought it not very robust either.

I prefer this:
    http://thevirtualmusette.com/
    Contador is the Greatest
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    There's a suspiciously high number of seasons from the last 3 years there, especially if you take out Merckx an Hinault. I suspect the race results for the last few years are a lot more complete?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    FJS wrote:
    There's a suspiciously high number of seasons from the last 3 years there, especially if you take out Merckx an Hinault. I suspect the race results for the last few years are a lot more complete?
    I also expect the distribution of points is a reflection of the current races and their present status rather than what they were at the time with some defunct races overlooked (eg Midi Libre)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Cavendish @ 13 ?? Come on, surely not. I mean I'm a fan of Cav but winning sprinter's stages isn't quite the same thing as GC stuff surely

(Hides in bunker waiting for incoming)
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    edited October 2013
    dsoutar wrote:
    Cavendish @ 13 ?? Come on, surely not. I mean I'm a fan of Cav but winning sprinter's stages isn't quite the same thing as GC stuff surely

Doh, double post.
  • mike6
    dsoutar wrote:

Depends on the criteria being used to compile the list I suppose. As for winning stages, whatever the profile a rider has to get over the line first, unless we are going to say it is only laudable to win a mountain top finish. What about winning on GC but, not winning any stages?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    I would have thought all Giro-Tour doubles (Pantani, Indurain etc.) would beat some of the entries.
  • josame

I prefer this:

Surprised by average length of careers: only 13.8yrs

Hinault only 11yrs, whilst Coppi and Bartali almost twice as long (although obvs war years involved)
  • josame wrote:

I prefer this:

Hinault only 11yrs, whilst Coppi and Bartali almost twice as long (although obvs war years involved)

Modern diets and nutrition, greater understanding about stuff like benefits of rest, improvements in equipment etc, even cross training stuff like yoga to increase flexibility - all help to prolong riders careers
  • mike6
    josame wrote:

I prefer this:

Modern diets and nutrition, greater understanding about stuff like benefits of rest, improvements in equipment etc, even cross training stuff like yoga to increase flexibility - all help to prolong riders careers

Number of races and total racing miles probably makes the biggest difference to longevity. The belief seems to be that If Merckx had raced a bit less his career at the very top could have been considerably longer.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    He really needs to clean this up.
    With Low Life Armstrong & Zabel still showing as the biggest outrage.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • frenchfighter
    deejay wrote:
    He really needs to clean this up.
    With Low Life Armstrong & Zabel still showing as the biggest outrage.

I think he should be there. Removing him is just silly. This is not the UCI.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • emadden
    emadden Posts: 2,431
    Not robust at all.... Roche in a triple crown year down in 15th? He also won Romandie and Valencia that year.
    www.dotcycling.com