What long brake calipers with Campag groupset?s

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Bizarrely Campag dont make long brake calipers for bikes with mudguard clearance. What to use instead?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• I'm running Veloce on my winter bike with a pair of Tektro R539's and SKS Chromoplastics.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche Performance they are Italian at least, that is important. Also they are good brake and even better brakes when the pads are changed. I am using my with Aztec road plus pads and the braking is excellent.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I ahve to say that I've been hugely disappointed with the Tektro 539 brakes which I have on my Kinesis T2. Even with Swissstop greens or Koolstop salmons they are poor and awful in the wet. This is on newish Ambrosio rims. About to be upgraded to Shimano R650.

Funny thing is the "extra deep drop" Tektros, the R559, as on my old steel frame, are excellent, same rims, same pads.

Best available deep drops if you believe all reviews are Shimano R650 but I guess if you're a Campag man you wouldn't be seen dead. . .
  • Is it not time to grow up and forget about these Shimano/Campagnolo nonsense? If the Shimano are the best ones, that's the ones you should buy... end of the story.
    Eddie Merckx would do that... Moser swapped from Campag to Shimano when the 7400 Dura Ace came out, as it was better than the C Record... end of...
    Brand loyalty is bullxxit!
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Is it not time to grow up and forget about these Shimano/Campagnolo nonsense? If the Shimano are the best ones, that's the ones you should buy... end of the story.

On what basis? Who says they are?

Not that it matters if you are putting Shimano brakes on an otherwise Campag bike but it does the other way round. Campag have a better mechanism for opening the calipers for getting the wheel out (doesn't adversely affect brake performance if you are daft enough not to reset the lever after putting the wheel back) but that does mean that putting Campag brakes on a Shimano bike has problems. So you can't assume that everything works with everything else.

Besides, it's not all about brand loyalty - as much about the hideous fugliness of Shimano kit! And it all looked so nice 20 years ago :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Campag Centaur 10 speed group with Shimano R650 brakes here.

Works well for me

Rich
  • cycleclinic
    I only suggested the Miche brakes because they are very very good. With standard pads they are lacking bit but with good pad (aztec road plus for example)) they are fantastic, real bite in the wet. I see no reason to spend the extra cash on R650's which are good if I can avoid it otherwise that's what I would have. My other comment about keeping it Italian was a joke. My word sense of humour failure lets calm down a bit :smile:
  • Best available deep drops if you believe all reviews are Shimano R650 but I guess if you're a Campag man you wouldn't be seen dead. . .

I was making a sardonic comment about folks who feel they must stick to "the rules" and at all costs avoid the shock and horror of mixing Campag with Shimano. From what I can gather, R650s are the only decent option in 57 drop. At least I hope so as my T2 is having them fitted this week. . .

EDIT: Miche may be as good but I don't want to take a punt on brakes that are cheap and have very limited review information on line - the Tektro 539s have people raving about them too but they are bloody awful.
  • cycleclinic
    Take reviews with a pinch of salt. the only review that is worth anything is the one that you make with your experience by trying kit out.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I use Velo Orange grand Cru with an otherwise Chorus set up. They are superb, best brakes I've used.
  • Take reviews with a pinch of salt. the only review that is worth anything is the one that you make with your experience by trying kit out.

I do, of course, but when I'm spending hard-earned cash and I have a choice of two products, one of which has hundreds of "apparently" independent, objective, positive reviews (which, even allowing for the pinch of salt, will plausibly contain a percentage of accurate reviews) and the other of which has very few, I'll do the only realistic thing and buy the product that seems to have a good word-of-mouth reputation.

Your alternative would be fine if I had the access to each product to "try it out", on a zero cost basis of course.

In my experience, online reviews, such as the huge number on Wiggle and the like, are usually quite close to the reality, so until that changes I'll take the advice of the online reviewers and keep taking (very small) pinches of salt with them.

On reflection, the Tektro R539s, which I mentioned had some raving reviews, have a fairly hefty share of lukewarm and negative reviews too, but my budget was limited at the time so I took a punt.
  • I've just pensioned off the venerable RX100 long drops on my Campag equipped bike and replaced them with long drop Ultegra, which from memory were about 65 quid from Ribble.
    They're great brakes and if do me 10 years like their predecessors, I'll be more than happy.
  • Had the same issue myself and went with the Tektro Tektro R539's nowt wrong with them .
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Another vote for R650s if you can afford them, I have them on my Veloce equipped winter bike.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have the cheaper R450s on my racelight Tk. They are every bit as effective as the standard drop Tiagras on the other bike. When the all in one moulded brake blocks eventually wear out I may replace them with some cartridge type holders and inserts.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    APIII wrote:
    I use Velo Orange grand Cru with an otherwise Chorus set up. They are superb, best brakes I've used.

Very beautiful looking brakeset and it's good to hear you are pleased with their performance. If I were doing my Audax bike again, I'd possibly have these (over the 650s I do have - which are pretty stunning as it is).
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    How about Condor Pioggias?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo