Arsenal...

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,195
edited October 2013 in The bottom bracket
What a goal from Wilshere/The team

Liverpool fail to overcome...and MU hoo.

Its all good at the moment.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Wenger boo boys strangely quiet. :wink:
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,152
    Yep, looking good for 'The @rse', as Stavros used to call them. Not as satisfying as seeing Man U struggle though.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    As an @rse supporter, it's double happiness.
  • Stevo_666
    There used to be the old joke about football teams with swear words in their names: Arsenal, Scunthorpe and F***ing Man United. Might have to change that now :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    No no, it's not all good - my fantasy football team's ruined!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Arsenal - comes from the Arabic word dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a, you'd think that to be in an English football league you'd have to have an English name wouldn't ya :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    Like Woolwich Arsenal?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Didn't know where to post this so this'll do.

Has anyone else spotted the similarity at the start of this move with Brazil's famous 4th goal in the 1970 WC Final? A little foot-over dribble past the opposition midfield, roll it out to the wing, curved ball down the line then work it infield. The two goals diverge there with Arsenal opting to walk it into the net with the fancy one-touch approach, and Brazil opting for a pass to what looks like nowhere for Carlos Alberto to appear in shot ready to plant it in the bottom corner, with some aplomb. Quality, both, and noticeably similar. Arsenal - just like watching Brazil. And I support Leicester. :)
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Like Woolwich Arsenal?

OK, but the original name of Woolwich is Hulviz, anglo saxon, germanic european so Hulviz Dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a :D

Slow day, I probably should go out more :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    edited October 2013
    team47b wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Like Woolwich Arsenal?

OK, but the original name of Woolwich is Hulviz, anglo saxon, germanic european so Hulviz Dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a :D

One-Nil to the Hulviz Dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a

No, doesn't sound eight. :lol:

Sorry, that should be "No, doesn't sound right" :oops:
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    They'll implode by Xmas.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    Wenger boo boys strangely quiet. :wink:

wob army!

once we have played a couple of decent teams i may come around.
  • Stevo_666
    Ballysmate wrote:
    One-Nil to the Hulviz Dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a

No, doesn't sound eight. :lol:

Sorry, that should be "No, doesn't sound right" :oops:
    Likewise, the 'Hulviz Dār-aṣ-ṣinā‛a' offside trap doesn't sound right either :)
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Mmm let's look more closely at who they have actually played,

Aston Villa 13th
    Fulham 17th
    Spurs 5th
    Sunderland 20th
    Stoke 15th
    Swansea 11th
    WBA 12th
    Norwich 18th

A very easy start to a season so I wouldn't go buying any silver polish just yet. Let's see how good they are when they start playing some teams in the top half of the table.
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Like Woolwich Arsenal?

What's this all about T47? Are you trying to educate us? or are you just showing us how much knowledge you have acquired since the beginning of the industrial revolution?
  • Stevo_666
    Mmm let's look more closely at who they have actually played,

Aston Villa 13th
    Fulham 17th
    Spurs 5th
    Sunderland 20th
    Stoke 15th
    Swansea 11th
    WBA 12th
    Norwich 18th

A very easy start to a season so I wouldn't go buying any silver polish just yet. Let's see how good they are when they start playing some teams in the top half of the table.
    True, if they can't beat mid-table teams like Man U they'll never win the league :)
  • ... so they play their first high ranked team and found wanting.
    Did the Fergie book release play on their minds?

Acha
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    So Ze Germans have gone and beat us at Home.

Ramsey decided to be too much of a show pony in his own area, Its all gonna kick off now.

Who have we really played of any quality?

What a load of Bollox, We've been quality and will bounce back from one defeat even stronger, just as we did after Villa, nothing wrong with a reality check every now and a then.

Good to Santi Carzola back, and if Flamini had have played he'd have sorted out that sewer rat Lewandowski.
  • pinno
    Cazorla hit the bar...f*ck.

Marseille at home amongst the 3 last fixtures. Maybe a draw between Napoli and Dortmund. May not be so tight.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    CiB wrote:
    Didn't know where to post this so this'll do.

Has anyone else spotted the similarity at the start of this move with Brazil's famous 4th goal in the 1970 WC Final? A little foot-over dribble past the opposition midfield, roll it out to the wing, curved ball down the line then work it infield. The two goals diverge there with Arsenal opting to walk it into the net with the fancy one-touch approach, and Brazil opting for a pass to what looks like nowhere for Carlos Alberto to appear in shot ready to plant it in the bottom corner, with some aplomb. Quality, both, and noticeably similar. Arsenal - just like watching Brazil. And I support Leicester. :)

No.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Alan Brazil wasnt that good. :lol:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • we are still, and always will, be better than the scum so it dont matter. forever in our shadow.

the future is bright, if wenger doesnt spend in jan and we collapse, he will walk away as he will get too much stick and someone will come in who will. if he does spend we should be sorted. need quality alternative for giroud and flamster and left back
  • tim_wand
    Flamini is on a 3 year deal, which tells you at 29 that Wenger sees him as a long term not just a short term soloution. His form so far and the fact that he was a free looks like good business, who knows in 3 year Diaby might even get a game in.

Gnarby looks like he will develop into a solid squad player, but I think the likes of Frimpong are still raw.

We could do with another defensive Mid with only Arteta and Flamini playing this role with any conviction.

We need another Centre back (Jagelka or Williams would be nice) as I think any defender needs premiership experience, we have seen with Mertesacker and Koscielney that it takes players from other leagues time to adapt especially in defence.

Definitley need a forward as back up to Giroud, but by January all the decent ones will have played in the Champions league and not be eligible if we are still in the comp.

The only ones I can think of worth a punt who aren't "Cup Tied" would be Benteke or Suarez but I don't think we would embarrass ourselves twice by enquiring about the later.
  • tim, im not dissing the flamster, think hes perfect and a great signing, always backed bringing him back, despite many gooners not wanting him back, saying a hes is probably past it, b he wasnt good enough for milan anymore, c he is now a crock and d, he is a see u next tuesday for leaving in the first plae and the reasons for his leaving

re the first 3 points i had no idea as i dont follow serie a, but as he was free i saw it as fairly risk free even if a,b,c were correct.

re point d, i didnt agree, he was one for leaving last time, and even if he was i wouldnt care as to win these days such personal prejudices must be put a side...there are no morals in the game now. as for his reason for leaving i dont think it was greed, the club messed him about letting his deal run down and leaving it too late. added to the fact his old mans italian and it was ac milan 9one of the biggest/famous clubs of all time,) i can see why he would want to go there. the club fooked up with him leaving and gilberto and diarra, and only his return has meant this position has been adequately filled (song was massively overrated and i did not rate him much as a DM)

anyway back to the point, i think we need and equally good cover to him. we saw last night how missed he was, as every time they attacked they looked dangerous and we looked a bit disorganised. imo flam must play every game if fit.

arteta is a decent player but not the same sort as flamster and i think we look far less solid with tets in the flamster role.
  • tim_wand
    I agree with you. Think Arteta is more about controlling play in midfield , where as Flamini is more about breaking down opposition play in Midfield, doing the ugly stuff.

Wenger obviously wanted Diaby to be that role, but I really don't think he will play again (which is a real shame)
    therefore I think Wenger will look for cover, but he seems to be more focussed on controlling midfield play through our own possession than looking to spoil the oppositions possession (personally I think we should mix it up, especially against the better teams, and this is why Flamini is pivotal)

I wonder if when fit he might try Vermaelen in this role as well, Cant see Vermaelen breaking up the current Mertersacker/Konscielney partnership, despite thinking we need another C/B .

As well as Giroud is playing as a centre forward, or holding player high up the pitch we still need back up, although I cant understand why Podolski is never played through the middle as a striker, Seen him play this role for Germany and he can cut it , it given a decent run.
  • pinno
    Re: Last nights game. To me Ozul was uncomfortable playing out so wide on the right. Sagna only crossed twice into the box - he seemed to want to pull it back all the time. Of the two crosses in the box, one resulted in a goal.
    Giroud was as Wrighty said 'trying to pick up on scraps but he seemed isolated and the few balls punted up to him were ineffectual with 3-4 defenders anywhere near him at any time and no-one to flick or pass the ball onto. Playing with 3 and 1 up front wasn't the right tactic to continue in the 2nd half. I can't blame Giroud for last nights performance.
    I do hope Oxlade Chamberlain gets back on the pitch as soon as possible. I also hope Wenger lets him play more often. We need 'engines' like him and Cazorla. All good squads have solid centre backs and an engine or two - Claude Makalele, Keane (love him or hate him). Rosicky impressed despite me not really rating him.
    When he (Sagna) defended he was ok but did not track Lewandowski leaving a gaping hole in the back.
    We are spoiled for choice up front but I still believe that strength comes from a solid defence and we have not got that class of strength against bigger clubs.
    The next 3 weeks are going to be a test of resolve and and acid test of the quality.
    Ozuls arrival has brought an unprecedented change in mentality for Arsenal. It has been so dry for so long that I think many are expecting too much too soon. In the last 3-4 years, we have looked alright but now at least, there is huge potential.
  • tim_wand
    When we play the "Creative midfielders" (Ozil/ Carzola) wide it really does expose the full backs. I think Ozil did more than his fair share of tracking back which blunted his forward play. Despite the assist for the goal I thought Sagna had a poor game by his standards, but he was left with too much to do on that flank. (Its even worse when Walcott plays in front of him, but at least Walcott pushes his Full back back , for fear of being caught behind).

Grossekreutz ran it for Dortmund last night as The Gooners in my mind played too narrow and lost their shape by the natural inclination to try and come inside (Ozil, Carzola and Sagna) . and as well as Gibbs played there was just too much space out there.

Flamini acts as a pivot at the front of the back four and is able to get out early to the ball and break down play wether through the middle or flanks , allowing the full back to remain in position, Last night with no one in front of them the full backs had to either go out to meet the ball with wide player running onto them or come back after loosing possession, leaving the space behind in either case.

Its a fine balance you cant have attacking wing play and still be 100% secure to the counter down the flanks, Flamini acting as a pivot at the top of the defence at least gives that extra cover and first tackle to allow everyone to regain their shape, that was missing last night as Arsenal quite rightly pushed forward believing they needed the win.

A draw last night would have been a good result, Effectively denying Dortmund 2 points, We 'd be on 7 they'd be on 4 which would have given us a games breathing space.

I cant see Napoli or Marseille getting anything from them. So we need to beat Marsielle at home and get something from Napoli, Don't think we will come away from the Westfahlen Stadium with much.

Gonna look into tickets for that, When I was at Gutersloh in the forces used to go to Dortmund all the time, Only 9DM (3 quid) and you could buy a beer on the terraces (55,000) for league games, great atmosphere.
  • i thought we looked better when cazorla came on and rosicky came in side. i dont particularly like him, and moaned when he got contract renewals despite always being injured, but his career is a shame, had stayed fit, i think he would have been a top player for us.

it did leave the fb's exposed when this happened but we were a bit unlucky not to have got that 2nd goal and we should just have been a bit less gung ho. either way, we didnt shame ourselves against one of the ebst teams in europe, and were unlucky to lose. we gifted them one goal and were caught out by a counter for the other. no shame. we need to bounce back against palace, but they are due a good result!!

we should still get out the group, as we can win in naples and not lose in dortmund im sure. that should be a great visit (dortmund, not naples i have no wish to get stabbed) my arsenal m8s bang on about german away trips being top notch.

another point last nights atmosphere was pretty crap to me it seemed on tv, awful, thought the fans would be up 4 it more, even given our justified reputation of librariness. guy at work said it wasnt much better live and this combined with the extortiante cost means i still dont regret flogging my ST...too many tourists and corporates

i think verm as dm/holding midfeilder is a good call, hes mobile and skilled enough to do it. i cant see diaby filling that role even if fit for 5 mins. sure he looks like viera, but to me he is and always has been an attacking central midfielder, and to be fair, has shown he can do well at that role at times when he has been fit. i dont thnik he has the discipline or football brain of a makelele to be a more defence minded midfielder, or even box to box. if it hadnt been for that sunderland **** he would also have been a good player for us.

btw my post above this one doesnt make much sense, i should really proof read....
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Arsenal fans, yeah.

Other than last night blip, this is the first season in years that I am queitly optomistic. I think we will get out of this CL group and we will then see how far we can go, I dont think we will win the league we are just a bit short in terms of numbers ATM, but we will be there or there abouts.

Flammini will be the key I thinks and looks like he is turning out to be an absolute bargain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills