Confused about frame sizes

steviek
steviek Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Ok this is strictly speaking a question about hybrids, but anyway I'm mid-50s and looking to buy my first "proper" bike and have been looking at sports hybrids. I've 5'5" within 29" inside leg. Now I've looked at a number of sites to give me an idea of correct frame sizes. Wiggle size table gives me 17" frame for a sports hybrid and 50cm for a standard road bike. So I look at a couple of hybrids - Giant Rapid 4 and Boardman Comp and both are measured in centimetres. Not only that but the Giant has a 46.5cm as "small" while the Boardman has options at 45/49/54cm. So I now have 5 possibilities - 17" (43.18cm), 50cm, 46.5cm, 45cm or 49cm! Am I missing something?

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Look at the top tube length or effective top tube length if they are sloping instead of the frame size, go and sit on them and try them out this will give you a better idea of which size you need.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    The best way to find which bikes fit you is to do a few test rides. The same frame size e.g. 52cm will lead to slightly different sized bikes from different manufacturers.

The sizing charts are just there to give you a starting point of which bikes to test ride. Going by sizing charts my road bike should be too small for me but it fits me fine. The size / setup of bike you fit on depends on your leg length, reach and personal preference about riding position.
  • like the guys have mentioned the only way is to go and actually try the bikes your interested in

i'm 5ft 8 with an inside leg of 28.5inch (yes I know ridiculously small legs....lol) and going by giants sizing charts I 'should' be a medium (i'm talking about their compact tcr frame here which is a 46.5cm frame but 50-52cm equivalent, this only applies to compact frames so not sure the hybrids your looking at will be a compact frame or not btw), I took a medium out for a test ride and it was slightly too stretched for me and their small fits me perfect

long story short, test ride is the only way or your taking a punt whether it will be right for you or not
  • OK thanks. I guess a visit to my LBS is the simple answer.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Hi pal, I'm a similar age and 5' 6" with an inside leg of 30." I ride a 49cm Ribble.
    I also found a shorter stem made things more comfortable for me too, but as others have said, it's all down to the individual.

A word of warning though, my dad (77) went to a very well known local branch bike shop and despite being 5' 5" they sold him a £1000 Medium Boardman hybrid which is far too big for him. :evil: It turned out they had no 'small' in stock!
    A decent assistant won't let you buy the wrong size bike, but it will help if you at least know where to aim for, just in case.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Pituophis wrote:
    Hi pal, I'm a similar age and 5' 6" with an inside leg of 30." I ride a 49cm Ribble.
    I also found a shorter stem made things more comfortable for me too, but as others have said, it's all down to the individual.

A word of warning though, my dad (77) went to a very well known local branch bike shop and despite being 5' 5" they sold him a £1000 Medium Boardman hybrid which is far too big for him. :evil: It turned out they had no 'small' in stock! A decent assistant won't let you buy the wrong size bike, but it will help if you at least know where to aim for, just in case.
    This is unfortunately what you get from a large chain, staff who havent' got a clue or just want to get rid of old stock that's been hanging around.
  • wrlcs
    wrlcs Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm 5 feet 5.5 inches with 29 inch leg and tried small and medium giant defy's and 50 and 52cm trek domane bikes. I could have been happy with either treks but would have chosen 52 with a shorter stem but ended up with the small defy, the medium defy was too big.