New to forum and looking for help :)

uhf79
uhf79 Posts: 5
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've just signed up here, so firstly, hi everyone :)

I took up cycling a few months ago with a view of losing some weight, so I bought myself a reasonably specced hybrid bike and started cycling. At first 4 miles seemed to kill me but now i'm comfortably riding 25 miles per session which I'm gradually ramping up.

The reason I joined is to see if I could get some advice regarding places I can go to get assistance with bike setup to avoid developing injuries. Specifically my knees are starting to develop clicks and the odd discomfort which I can only attribute to the cycling. I've found a few places who seem to cater for the real high end competition cyclists and I'm reluctant to approach them as I don't think they're right for a casual cyclist like me and on the other hand there are local bike shops and the chains who just don't seem to have the knowledge to address an issue such as this so I'm a bit stuck.

Anyway, its a great hobby and I've already lost around 1 stone and a half and i'm getting quicker on all my Strava segments almost every time I ride.

Dave

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    The decent bike fit places ill not look down their nose at you, and will help get yu set up properly.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • uhf79
    uhf79 Posts: 5
    Stevenage, herts, uk
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unless you have existing injuries look at checking your saddle height as too high or too low can cause knee problems. If unsure set the saddle slightly too low.

Next look up KOPS on the internet as it is a good starting point for adjusting the saddle towards and backwards which can also relieve knee pain. You can then adjust to suit yourself.

If you are using clipless pedals this can also cause issues if not properly set up.

If not then go a see someone to assist you.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If you have an iPhone/iPad, check out the new bike fit app Bike fast fit. Gets some very good feedback off tech guru DCRainmaker.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Maybe join your local cycling club? The British Cycling website likely has a list. By the way, it's worth joining BC as for 2-3 quid a month you get insurance and legal cover.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Maybe join your local cycling club? The British Cycling website likely has a list. By the way, it's worth joining BC as for 2-3 quid a month you get insurance and legal cover.

You don't get insurance, people often think that it works like for the car, you crash your bike, somebody pays... you only get liability cover... which is pretty much useless as you will only be sued if they know they can get money and if you don't have the insurance, they won't sue you. If you kill somebody you might go to jail, with or without BC.
    Legal cover might be more interesting, in case you get knocked off by a motorist... but even there, you need to be lucky and have the number plate ready, as the police won't move a finger to help you... unless you get killed, in which case BC turns out to be useless
    left the forum March 2023
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Woah, you having a bad day Ugo? Negativity post of the day!!!

@OP a local club may be able to offer some friendly fit advice, also check out online demos and apps. If you struggle to get set up properly yourself then turn to a professional bike fitter.
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    Woah, you having a bad day Ugo? Negativity post of the day!!!

Just being realistic about what you get for 3 quid a month... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023