New rider, new bike. Voodoo Aizan 29ER

wez-li
wez-li Posts: 7
edited December 2013 in MTB beginners
Hello all, bought a new bike yesterday, I've not ridden properly in 2 decades (apart from motorbikes) so picked up this mountain bike to do a bit of riding off road & commuting.

Had a look around read a few reviews, sat on a couple, and ended up going for a Voodoo Aizan 29ER with 20" frame.

Few quick pics.

20131016_110748-1_zpsa200dec5.jpg

20131016_194821_zps6d23284f.jpg

20131016_194756_zpse57ef0bd.jpg

20131016_194737_zps83a31d01.jpg

20131016_194728-1_zps043a0a3f.jpg

Looking forward to getting out and enjoying riding again.

Comments

• Hi and congratulations on the new bike. I myself am also a new owner of a 29er Voodoo bike, having snatched a Bizango earlier today. Enjoy.
  • I do actually like the look of these. I like the look of every orange coloured bike tbh
  • wez-li
    Cheers guys, I love the paint scheme, used it for the commute for the first time today, it rides great, the bug is catching!
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Hi and congratulations on the new bike. I myself am also a new owner of a 29er Voodoo bike, having snatched a Bizango earlier today. Enjoy.

Don't suppose you got it from Edinburgh?

This looks really nice tbh. Haven't seen much of the new range personally and if they're anything like the previous years, it should be a fantastic buy!
  • It looks great,how much of it?
  • wez-li
    kemywang wrote:
    It looks great,how much of it?

Cheers, I got it for £404, but it's back up to £449 now, bought it on c2w scheme.
  • heez29 wrote:
    Hi and congratulations on the new bike. I myself am also a new owner of a 29er Voodoo bike, having snatched a Bizango earlier today. Enjoy.

This looks really nice tbh. Haven't seen much of the new range personally and if they're anything like the previous years, it should be a fantastic buy!

No I picked it up from Halfords in Malvern. When I asked whether they could order me one in the system claimed to have 5x 20" Bizangos. I had been popping in there every few weeks to check on availability.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Those clips in the second pic don't last long, I replaced mine with suitably sized cable ties.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    heez29 wrote:

No I picked it up from Halfords in Malvern. When I asked whether they could order me one in the system claimed to have 5x 20" Bizangos. I had been popping in there every few weeks to check on availability.

Ah ok. We managed to get the last one available to order for a customer who conincidentally picked it up same day!

The Bizango any good?
  • heez29 wrote:
    Ah ok. We managed to get the last one available to order for a customer who conincidentally picked it up same day!

The Bizango any good?

I haven't ridden a 'proper' bike in such a long time I wouldn't honestly have a clue. :oops: :?

I have always ridden undersized bikes so it is a bit of a learning curve hopping on to a 20" frame 29er.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Loving that metallic orange paint colour.
  • wez-li

Yeah it's not very subtle but love it even more now I've had the bike for a bit. It's a great scheme imo.

Getting used to it now, feeling fitter too and haven't had to fill the car up just to go to work which is always a bonus!
  • Kowalski675
    wez-li wrote:

Yeah it's not very subtle but love it even more now I've had the bike for a bit. It's a great scheme imo.

Getting used to it now, feeling fitter too and haven't had to fill the car up just to go to work which is always a bonus!

Metallic orange rocks. I have a metallic candy orange Triumph.
  • So I've had the bike about a month and I've come across my first problem, my front disc is a bit whiney, the noise goes away when you apply the brake but comes back shortly after. Which means I'm travelling pretty slowly these days. :(
  • Kowalski675
    Sounds like it's just catching the pads a bit. Make sure the caliper's centred and straighten any high spots on the disc (easy to do by hand).
  • If you can't fix it yourself take to your local bike shop,they won't charge much to sort it
  • If you can't fix it yourself take to your local bike shop,they won't charge much to sort it
    err take it back to where you bought it (Halfords?) and it's their job to put it right.
    My lad has taken his Aizan back as the gear change is appalling, whoever signed the pdi needs shooting :roll:

My Bizango (came from a different Halfords0 is perfect so far!
  • Kowalski675
    locksmith wrote:
    whoever signed the pdi needs shooting :roll:

Same with my Boardman.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Takes a lot less time to centre the rotor, or index a mech than faff around taking it to a shop.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    cooldad wrote:
    Takes a lot less time to centre the rotor, or index a mech than faff around taking it to a shop.

Take less time to centre the rotor than it'll take to get your rear seats down and get the bike in the car.
  • Remember this is the beginners forum!

Despite riding a bike for around 50 years things really have changed tremendously in the last few years, so us newbies to modern machinery should take it back and get the so called experts to show us how to fix things properly (that they should have got right in the first place) :)
  • Kowalski675
    locksmith wrote:
    Remember this is the beginners forum!

But mountain bikes aren't ride and forget items. They need regular basic maintenance, which you need to learn how to do. It's all simple stuff, and doesn't get any simpler than centreing a brake rotor, so this is the ideal place to start learning. If you take it back to Halfords most branches will just get it wrong anyway. There's no experts in Halfords - you don't get experts when you pay minimum wage...
  • Cheers guys, I took the wheel off and re set it this afternoon and it's a lot quieter now.

Not sure if it makes any difference but quick release lever was on the wrong side, my error when I re-fitted the wheel when I first brought it home.

The disc is still rubbing the pad ever so slightly, as I can still just about hear the noise, I need to take it back to halfords for it's 6 week checkup in a couple weeks regardless, but I'll see how it goes tomorrow morning.
  • 97th choice
    There's no experts in Halfords - you don't get experts when you pay minimum wage...

There are loads of experts working in halfords, guys and girls with more technical skill than you will ever have. The problem is that it is massively variable. Your experience, whilst sadly all too familiar and unacceptable isn't the only outcome when dealing with halfords.

The problem is that it's a lottery.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    Parktools website below is very useful, and up to date.
    Sheldon Brown site can also be very useful, if a bit messy and old fashioned.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Kowalski675
    There's no experts in Halfords - you don't get experts when you pay minimum wage...

There are loads of experts working in halfords, guys and girls with more technical skill than you will ever have.

Never found one yet (no shortage of bodgers and butchers though), and I have ample technical skill, thanks (more than most Halfords bodge monkeys will ever have, anyway...):

DSC_0763_zps3a4006cd.jpg

DSCN0516_zps1b5b1c27.jpg

030520112501_zpsba3bc78a.jpg

DSCI0030_zps553f2fc8.jpg
  • There's no experts in Halfords - you don't get experts when you pay minimum wage...

There are loads of experts working in halfords, guys and girls with more technical skill than you will ever have.

Never found one yet (no shortage of bodgers and butchers though), and I have ample technical skill, thanks (more than most Halfords bodge monkeys will ever have, anyway...):

DSC_0763_zps3a4006cd.jpg

DSCN0516_zps1b5b1c27.jpg

030520112501_zpsba3bc78a.jpg

DSCI0030_zps553f2fc8.jpg

so is your technical skill taking photos of motorbikes and motorbike parts?
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • 97th choice
    rgliniany wrote:

so is your technical skill taking photos of motorbikes and motorbike parts?

you're supposed to be impressed and gush with praise.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • cooldad
    He is my new internet hero, and I get quite moist just thinking about him.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks for the parktools link Cooldad, looks very informative.
This discussion has been closed.