decent bib tights for £20

tom3
tom3 Posts: 287
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I have used bib shorts from Raptor Sports this year and been very impressed for the price. Just ordered the bib tights below.

http://jarilo.co.uk/~raptorsp/index.php ... duct_id=94

Just thought i would share for anyone else like me who is trying to put together a winter wardrobe on a budget.

thanks

Comments

• Will be interested to know what happens post order - very cheap so will be good to hear feedback on quality and service etc.
    cheers and fingers crossed, sounds a bargain...
  • I have had a pair of their Bib Shorts for over a year and they are still good.

I only wear them for 1 to 1 1/2 hour midweek rides though as the pad is not as good as my much more expensive bibs.

Good value IMO
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • tom3 wrote:
    Hi all

I have used bib shorts from Raptor Sports this year and been very impressed for the price. Just ordered the bib tights below.

http://jarilo.co.uk/~raptorsp/index.php ... duct_id=94

Just thought i would share for anyone else like me who is trying to put together a winter wardrobe on a budget.

thanks

Ordered a pair on your recomendation !!
    No pressure then ?
    regards
    ILG
  • tom3
    ilovegrace, hopefully you wont be dissapointed mate.
  • Seem really good value and I'm never out too long in winter so even if the pad is unsatisfactory I'm sure ill manage. Has anyone any experience in sizing of this brand, are they small fitting as I'm looking at getting the xl size and take xxl in altura bibs.
  • tom3
    bib tights have just turned up exactly 48 hours after ordering (free delivery).

I must say, very impressed with fit and quality.

ilovegrace, have yours turned up yet?
  • Cmon then.......are they any good!!?? :roll:
  • tom3
    They will get a first test tomorrow morning,so will let you know
  • tom3 wrote:

came the next day.
    Size large I am 5 ft 10 1/2 11st10lbs and they are a spot on fit.
    Rode to work and back ( 30miles up hill and down dale ) .
    First impressions .
    Great fit ,comfortable , not a top class pad but again for the money and regular commuting they are just the job.
    They compliment my Aldi/Lidl kit and are great value for under £19 and free delivery.
    Going to try a 40 miler tomorrow , see how they are over a 2 -3 hour ride.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    regards
    ILG
    PS
    This somewhat softens the blow i had recently .
    Sent a £70 pair of bib shorts back to Altura , they have got lost in the post and i have lost the proof of purchase.!!
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tom3 wrote:

I also bought some based on this thread. I'm 5'10" and 78kg and went with medium - they felt fine when I tried them on yesterday but I like the compression fit. For £20 I might just splash out on a large pair too. Was planning on testing them on a club run this morning but now that the heavy rain has arrived with thunderstorms to follow, I'm going to wimp out - don't mind getting caught in the rain but leaving the house in a downpour is no fun!
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Worth a punt for the money, I reckon, so just ordered some :)
  • tom3
    I'm 6ft and 82 kg. great fit from the large but did have to breath in to do the zip up. Went out in a chilly drizzle this morning and seemed to work really well. The chamois seems fine to me but I'm used to the same pad from the bib shorts. Think I might order another pair.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    They do indeed look decent for £20, but is decent for £20 still any good?
    The last (possibly only) item of cycling clothing I would skimp on is bib shorts/tights.

Putting the above to one side I still think these are worth buying at £20, even if only to open the bib/bib tight (as opposed to non bib and bib shorts with leg warmers) door to the un-initiated.
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    I've ordered a pair too. I notice they don't have stirrup loops at the bottom of the legs so I'll probably have to sew some on to stop the legs riding up as I've got long legs. I've done this on a few pairs of tights and it works a treat.
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Ive got their arm and leg warmers, and they are excellent quality for the price.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Four hours over the Yorkshire moors and coast today . no problems at all.
    Good value bib shorts these.
  • Thanks tom3 for the heads up and review. Have ordered a pair to try. :)
  • Hawmaw
    Hawmaw Posts: 124
    Got mine today. I'm 6ft2 / 80kg / 33" inside leg. The large is a tight fit. I like it like that cause there's no saggy bottom or crotch however it may not be for you .
    First impressions are good but I've not tried them on the bike yet.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Work and back in them today, about 16 miles all in. Very comfy, very warm, I'm very happy and will be buying another pair!
  • Mine arrived very quickly indeed! Impressed with the quality, and the pad is better than Id expected. Only problem I bought a medium and they are too small, leg fit was ok but struggling to get them over my shoulders and tight across my chest. I am 5" 8' 32" waist and a 42" chest. Hope this is of help to anyone looking for sizing.
    I will send them back for though for an exchange, and hope their returns policy is as good as the rest of their service. :)
  • Gunnsie
    Gunnsie Posts: 171
    Just been on there to order some and they havn't got Large as an option for the black ones :(

I tried to message them to ask when they are expecting some back in stock, but the Contact Form doesn't work. No phone number for them. :(
  • Gunnsie
    Just got a reply from Raptor: -
    "I'm afraid these are an end of line item and the new ones will be zipless, but are still in the design and sample test stage so will be several weeks yet, sorry."

So unless I want the red ones I can't get a large. I'm 5' 11", 32" waist and 29" inside leg..... do you think the meduim would be ok for me?

Cheers!

Chris
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Not specifically helpful, as I do not own these exact items, but I am the same height as you, have a slightly bigger waist :-( but have a bigger inseam, and I would always go for Small or Medium in Bibs.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • weedram
    weedram Posts: 41
    In my experience no!

You are too tall for the medium

I am 5'8 and also 32" waist and the medium only just fits me across the chest and particularly length wise.

Gunnsie wrote:
    "I'm afraid these are an end of line item and the new ones will be zipless, but are still in the design and sample test stage so will be several weeks yet, sorry."

So unless I want the red ones I can't get a large. I'm 5' 11", 32" waist and 29" inside leg..... do you think the meduim would be ok for me?

Cheers!

Chris
  • Gunnsie
    weedram wrote:
    In my experience no!

You are too tall for the medium

I am 5'8 and also 32" waist and the medium only just fits me across the chest and particularly length wise.

Gunnsie wrote:

Cheers!

Chris

Cheers.... Looks like I'll have to wait for the new Non-zipped ones to come around.

Chris
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Which is not neccessarily a bad thing. The zips on my DHB roubaix bibtights have developed a nasty habit of popping open. I'm thinking of chopping them down to 3/4's

Got some end of line Campag ones from Planet X; no zips but stirrups. Much better.