Test rode a bike today - is the size ok?

starside
starside Posts: 20
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Hi

I have been on a 21inch (seat tube C-T) Raleigh Urban 3 hybrid for the last 5 years. I now want to upgrade to a road bike.

Pic here:
9617658404_49bd85f7aa_z.jpg

I went to a LBS today, and took a Whyte Dorset road bike around the car park. This was a 56cm frame (Large size). pic of bike here (not my pic):

10366830803_22812b99f0_z.jpg

I am 6ft 2 and my measuremtns are here:

10366230136_fd0970e539_z.jpg

All sizing guides, including the one for Whyte seem to suggest that a 58cm frame is the most suitable size for my height. But the 56cm felt fine when I went around the car park. The effective top tube length on the Whyte Dorset is 570mm which is the same as my Raleigh hybrid. (I have sat on, but not rode, a Cannondale CaadX 58cm which felt fine in size also)

The LBS stated the 'handlebar blocking the front wheel hub' rule, and the handlebar did block the front wheel hub.

On the basis that the bike felt fine to me, should I proceed with a purchase or is the bike a bit too small? According to competitive cyclist, the seat tube length is slightly short, and the effective top tube length is slightly long.

One thing I did notice is that the bike appeared to be quite small compared to my Raleigh. But I don't know if that was just me (I didn't have my Raleigh with me).

I ride every day to and from work (2 miles each way) and do 65 miles most Sundays.

Many thanks

Paul

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Try the next frame size up to get a better idea if you like the bike on the test ride. That will give you a better idea.

The bike fit and sizing charts are a starting point to get you in the right area but are based on averages and not individual riding styles or setups. You are doing the right thing with test riding.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Wtf? Whyte make road bikes? It looks good!!

However I reckon you should defo try the next size up. I'm the same height as you and have a 58 or 59 TT depending on geometry.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    As above. I'm 6'1" and I ride a 60cm frame. I have long legs (91cm inseam) and a short torso and I ride a bike with a relatively long top tube and a 120mm stem. Road bikes feel more stretched out than a hybrid, so it would take a little while to get used to that.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Cupras
    Cupras Posts: 145
    Is that not a CX bike?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    If it is it'll be crap! Sloping geo bobbins for carrying on your shoulder.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I just moved from a hybrid to a roadie. On the phone all LBS said I sounded like a 56 to a 58 (I'm 5'11.5''). But when I tried a Canondale Synapse, 54 felt fine. Then, when trying Trek 1 series, 56 felt too stretched out, 54 was fine. LBS explained this by saying I had '56 legs but 54 reach'. So I bought a 54 Trek 1.5
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    That's the trick with road bikes you have to have a much more accurate fit then mountain bikes etc. I am over 6ft6 and ride a 62cm.