Values of secondhand bikes?

nugget
nugget Posts: 7
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I'm new to road bikes and have been exploring the second hand market (eBay and in here). How much do bikes depreciate?

I've got my eye on a Giant Avail (2009) which would have been around £675rrp. In immaculate condition, what is top dollar these days?
ian scanlan

Comments

• jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    In my stingy Scottish eyes I want to be paying 50% of RRP buying secondhand, even if it is had just been rolled home from the bike shop.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've just bought a bike off eBay for the winter, if you're patient and know what you want to pay you'll get something cheap.
    I found that you get 40 - 60% off the original price if the bike was 12 of 36 mths old and in vgc, pick up only bikes seem to go cheaper because there's less market.
    It's always worth making a cheeky offer telling them that you'll pay cash on collection, the seller will save money on charges so it can sway them and you get to have a good look around the bike.
    I saw a mint 2012 carbon Giant TCR with Ultegra go for £750, 2012 Boardmans, Cubes.and Giants with Shimano 105 usually went for between £500 and £600.
    Just take your time.
  • Be patient as its taken me 6 weeks to find the right bike at the right price. I was getting frustrated not being able to find the right bike near enough to me and had agreed a deal on a basic Cube Peloton when I found a 105 specced bike badly listed on Gumtree cheap as chips. Needs a clean and a set of pedals and i'm in business!!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Patient? I was searching almost daily for my dream frame in my size for nearly 6 years! However, last week! Frame was 3k new.

50% is always a good guide if in vgc, a little more for a premium brand.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As soon as you walk out a bike shop, you'll wipe out the Vat and dealer margin to get down to it's 'value' of about 60% of retail.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If only I could find a 595 Ultra in a Med in red and black. I've been after one for a few years to go with my 585 and when I find it I'll probably be as happy as that Nap bloke.
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    thing to remember is that part of the price of a new bike is to cover the warranty.

second hand bikes don't have a warranty.

so the reduction in value needs to cover age, depreciation, wear and tear, obsolescence as well as lack of warranty.

sometimes 50% of new value is too much, particularly on an obscure brand a few years old.
  • I bought this http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/lapierre/x ... mpact-2010 . three months ago for £850 (£2800 new).
    Seller lives a mile from where i work , had it for one summer (Bradley Wiggins effect) and left it in his outhouse .
    Needed a new chain and bar tape , light as a feather comfortable and fast , don't think i would buy new again.
    regards
    ILG
  • ilovegrace wrote:
    I bought this http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/lapierre/x ... mpact-2010 . three months ago for £850 (£2800 new).
    Seller lives a mile from where i work , had it for one summer (Bradley Wiggins effect) and left it in his outhouse .
    Needed a new chain and bar tape , light as a feather comfortable and fast , don't think i would buy new again.
    regards
    ILG
    carrock wrote:

sometimes 50% of new value is too much, particularly on an obscure brand a few years old.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • ??????????????????????
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    £200 tops in a good condition.
  • nugget
    nugget Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies. I offered £200 (start price was £300) and the seller basically suggested it was worth way more than £300...in the end it sold for £352. I didn't buy it.

So maybe I should just be patient then but the weather is going to be so yucky before I get to ride!
    ian scanlan
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Whoever bought it got mugged IMO :)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    in my experience a dealer is a good place to buy a second hand bike, obviously those dealers who take tradeins and sell on..

It probably wont be overpriced, it will be serviced and typically have a 3 month warranty. They typically offer 35% of the new RRP for the trade in, and flog it for 50%, thus covering their costs.