what to wear?

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I'm sure this has been covered many times but at the moment i am using my phone for the internet,and for whatever reason the search function doesnt want to work. What is best to wear for winter riding? i have dhb bib tights for my bottom half but, i am a little unsure what to go with on the top half, would a base layer and then an altura waterproof jacket be ok? also how do you keep your face warm on those very cold rides?
Thanks

Comments

• dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Lots of thinner layers works best for me usually and a buff looks after your face when it's really cold
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    It depends on the temperature, obviously, but in my arsenal I have:

Long sleeve base layer
    Short sleeve base layer
    Long sleeve warm jersey
    Wind proof gilet
    Very warm softshell jacket
    Waterproof jacket (thin, can go in a back pocket, not too warm and breathable so as not to be "boil I the bag")

I can construct an outfit for all conditions from that little lot.

For my head I have a thin merino hat to go under my helmet. I don't wear anything to keep my face warm, but if I were to I'd buy a buff.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    When it's colder I wear my short sleeve summer cycling top with my bigger Endura long sleeve jersey on top. Works a treat and wicks sweat away nicely.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • I got badly caught out by the weather this morning with 90m of very heavy rain when I was a long way from home. It ended up drowning me from head to foot and all running down into my shoes. I do have this very expensive Goretex bike rain top but strangely it's never seemed to be breathable to me so I hardly ever use it as I end up pretty damp inside it unless I have it half open which then rather spoils the effect. Would probably have put it on this morning though :-(
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I don't feel the cold much and wear shorts and a T-shirt or similar with either my thin windproof / water resistant sailing top or if it is colder my Altura Night Vision Evo Jacket. Sometimes I may put an extra layer on underneath but to be honest when it gets that cold ice tends to keep me off the roads.

Also I alternate between MTB mitts and full waterproof / wind proof winter gloves as needed.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I do have this very expensive Goretex bike rain top but strangely it's never seemed to be breathable

I have one too, only use it on my fairly short commute. I also have a sort of poncho thing with zips from the armpits to the base, it's much more breathable and I go mountain biking and cross country skiing in it a lot.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • OK and advice re which bib tights as my upper body is well catered for:

- decathlon bib tights
    - dhb
    - ridebosh
    - others?
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • First ride with dhb Vaeon Roubaix Padded Bib Tight today. Very, very happy.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Roubaix bib tights, long sleeve base layer and wind proof winter jacket, I find this plenty warm enough if it's dry. :)
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    +1 for layers, a gilet or waterproof shell are ideal for adding a few extra degrees wearability to other stuff

for when it's really cold...

balaclava, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-windstopper-balaclava/
    shoe covers, i use neoprene ones, wind/waterproof and provides a bit of insulation
    brynje super thermo vest http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo ... hirt-p6948 wicks extremely well, doesn't get clammy/stick when working hard
    proper winter gloves
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Decent waterproof gloves are a must for me. Once your hands get cold it stops being enjoyable.
  • +1 for Brynje base layers. I have a L/S "Sprint", it's one of the best-wicking base layers I've had, and so is surprisingly warm in the cold and not too hot in the cool. It even says "year-round" on their website, I've have to test it in the summer.