Side Stitches - Ugh!

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
Hello people, I hope this is the right place to put this. I think this is my first post on this side of the forum...

I cycle around 90 miles a week, most of it road biking while I'm at uni so I am relatively fit. I've never suffered from side stitches when cycling before. I've had them when running but I don't really care about running so wasn't really bothered.

The last three cycles I went on I got side stitches about 10 miles in. They were only very short 15ish mile road rides. They seemed to come on when I was trying fairly hard. It's annoying because I don't see why they're happening now, since nothing has changed from last week or the week before that or before that....... But then today I got them alternating between left and right side when walking to the shop!!

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience, knows why they're happening and how I can stop them.

Cheers
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    If you're getting them even going to the shops I suspect it must be something else causing problems. Wind, digestive problems, gall stone? no idea really. Traditionally stitch is usually one sided, seen in people who are less fit and aggravated by food intake prior to exercise.
  • awsm
    awsm Posts: 210
    I occasionally get a side stitch if I go for a ride shortly after eating. I also experienced side stitches a couple of times during TT's, reading about and focusing on my breathing technique helped.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I used to get a side stitch when MTB racing it was caused by too much rapid shallow breathing, I found if I made sure I fully breathed out and a slower pace breathing back in this prevented stitches.