Cinelli Saetta Sprint Veloce

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
Well, I finally ended all my dithering and replaced my CAAD8 with this:

10154586346_e2e31afde9.jpg

It's stock apart from the pedals, lights and cages. Tyres are rotten, though so will chuck on my Pro3 & 4 combo when I've got a mo'

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Needs the stem slamming and the bars sorting me thinks....

Much better than the CAAD?
  • maxlite
    maxlite Posts: 293
    Just building up a Saetta, nice bike
    Cervelo R5
    Cinelli Saetta
    Giant XTC
    Raleigh Classic
  • Very nice, would be interested to hear how it rides; agree with the comment regarding the bars.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Very nice. If only Cinelli would bring this out in the same colour way as the 2014 Experience then I would have to change all my current plans.

Oh, and I still don't understand the need to slam the bars unless you really need to for comfort/handling
    Someone's just passed me again
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    It's got to be fast it's red. Nice looking bike.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Really nice looking bikes are Cinellis. Hard to tell regarding the bars at this funny angle. Would be interested to know what you make of it compared to the Dale.
  • secretsam
    What's wrong with my bars??? As for the stem, I'll drop a new, 1cm shorter stem on and see how I go - did the same on the CAAD8 and it was much more comfortable

It's "different" to the CAAD - which I also loved - it's probably a little less harsh at the back end, but just as stiff when I life my lardy ar53 out of the saddle or really put the hammer down. The top tube has a lot more 'give' in it, so it's much kinder over rougher roads. I'd say that the 'dale was slightly more focused when descending, say.

The CAAD8 was a lovely thing and I was sorely tempted by a CAAD10, but given my freakish physiology (short legs, long body) a 'compact' frame fits me better. Plus I wanted to give Campag a go, and I've not regretted it so far.

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    The bars are a classic bend, so the bottom should be roughly level with the ground, like this:

img_0881_600.jpg

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    yes... :D
  • secretsam
    No

Having ridden many bikes with a "classic" bend (including when they were just "Bars" and there was just a bend, no classic involved) parallel drops are bloody uncomfortable. So I think I'll keep my bars just so, thanks.

• buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    SecretSam wrote:
    No

Having ridden many bikes with a "classic" bend (including when they were just "Bars" and there was just a bend, no classic involved) parallel drops are bloody uncomfortable. So I think I'll keep my bars just so, thanks.

Nice one SS. I get a bit fed up with the photo fascists trying to tell people how they should set their bike up and I think you're reply was spot on.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • secretsam
    buzzwold wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    No

Nice one SS. I get a bit fed up with the photo fascists trying to tell people how they should set their bike up and I think you're reply was spot on.

Thanks you muchly. Mind you, the photo I did isn't the best, perhaps I need to capture it from a better angle.

• Needs the stem slamming and the bars sorting me thinks....

Much better than the CAAD?
    What does stem slamming mean please?
  • declan1
    SecretSam wrote:
    No

If you find classic bars that are setup properly uncomfortable, why not try compact bars or 3T Tornovas?

http://www.3tcycling.com/roadbars/tornova

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    declan1 is right, bars should be set up correctly. If they are not set up correctly then get some different ones. Otherwise you are not getting the best of them and making them more uncomfortable than they should be in other positions.
  • secretsam
    Surely bars are set up correctly when they are comfortable??? Or am I being thick?

• declan1
    SecretSam wrote:
    Surely bars are set up correctly when they are comfortable??? Or am I being thick?

Bars are like saddles - some bars suit some people but not others. I personally don't like classic bend bars and use compact ones, but only to get the flat transition from bar to hoods.

Having those bars tilted up like that is like having a saddle pointing heavily nose-down to alleviate pain.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• secretsam
    Uh, so I'm still getting grief about my bar position? TBH, my first change will be to drop a shorter stem on - then we'll go from there.

And I didn't choose the bars - they came with the bike (original bars were insanely narrow so Wiggle sent replacements, which was these - Ritchey classics)

• Don't mind the people complaining about your bars, it is your bike, so set it up how YOU want.

Lovely looking bike though!