Recommendations for routes from Newport area

mickisup
mickisup Posts: 295
edited October 2013 in Routes
Will have an afternoon available for a decent ride, based in Newport (Wales) but happy to drive a short distance to start if better option. Looking for 3-4 hours ride on CX bike or possibly somewhere where I can hire an MTB. As I am likely to be on a CX bike downhill is not a prority. Any ideas gratefull receieved, ideally somewhere with a bit of cover as forecast is iffy!

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Not quite sure what you're after... On the road I'd head up towards Usk (there's a tiny road parallel to the A449 that's smooth and traffic free) then you can climb in Wentwood and get your tyres dirty if you wish. There's no obvious single track in Wentwood though.

Cwmcarn isn't so far away - I think Twrch would be doable (even a bit of a laugh) on Cx. No experience of that myself though.

Or there's the levels if you want something more laid back - head towards Goldcliff and the RSPB reserve.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Park at 14 Locks in High Cross and then cycle down the canal path (National Cycle Track 47).
    Under the M4 and left to ride parallel to the motorway. At the split turn right. This will bring you out on Barrack Hill.
    Down Barrack Hill and across the Harlequin Roundabout taking Albany Street behind the Harlequin. Follow this road until you get to the RailTrack works. Now pick up the cycle track (No. 88) and follow it to Caerleon. Have a cuppa and a bite to eat in The Fwrrwm (off Caerleon High St).
    Head back to Newport on the cycle track and pick up track No. 47 again and follow it along the river Usk (following signs for Track No. 4). This track ends at The Transporter Bridge and you then have to follow the road until you get to Tredegar Park.
    Go in to the park and follow the path through it. This will take you back under the M4 and in to a little wooded area bounded by a stone wall on your left. Follow the track until you reach the wall and a style that gets you out on to the pavement. From there you can head back up to 14 Locks on the road.

Have a look at the map HERE.

It's not much of an off-road route but the majority of it is on cycle tracks and the canal path and there's plenty to see as you ride it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mickisup
    mickisup Posts: 295
    Many thanks both for the ideas, will check these out.