First Audax

the_spooks
the_spooks Posts: 190
After doing a few charity rides and now a few sportives signed up for an Audax, not too sure what to expect. Anyone done Ride of the Valkyrie's in Scotland and care to let me know what to expect, I know for the entrance fee I'm not expecting to have feed stations, but it's only 106km so won't really need anything that I can't carry, but what else should I know?
S

Comments

• durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Not a lot really, 60 miles to cycle and enjoy for a few quid :)
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Is the query about audaxes in general or this one specifically?? Quite of few of us on here ride audaxes and probably cover the complete range between us...
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    From the calendar description:

"End of season ride taking in some of the best Scottish Borders views for the autumn leaves.Two good cafe stops at The Gordon Arms and Jammy Coo at Lilliesleaf to refuel.Food showers etc at the start/finish HQ"

So it sounds like you'll be fed at the start/finish hall (though you may be asked to make a small donation - all depends on the organiser - but none of them are out to make their millions, so it will be a small donation).

The ride also has 4 info controls - so take a pencil - this is to prove you've ridden past a certain point on the ride and you'll be asked something like "what colour is the door to number 34?" or "how many miles to xyz-town on the signpost?".

Other than that, Audax is just like any other bike ride - make sure you're equipped for the conditions and have a spare tube and a pump etc.

If you are not a fast rider, you could be riding in the dark at the end of this ride - so good lights. If you're quick, then don't worry for this ride.

You will hopefully find Audax is a very accepting, non-judgemental activity. People don't really care how quick (or slow) you are. Enjoy it!
  • whoof
    whoof Posts: 756
    General Audax advice.
    You have to navigate yourself, there will be no direction arrows. You will therefore be given a route card giving directions such as left, right, staight on. Rather that putting this in your back pocket it's a good idea to get it laminated and then cable tie it to your bars/stem.
    Set your computer to Km to be able to follow the route card.
    The manned controls will be open for a given time slot that will relate to the fastest and slowest (average) you can ride to course.
    Remember to talk to other riders, be friendly and you will have a very enjoyable ride.
  • Cheers for the info, 'twas just a general enquiry about Audax so you have answered about all the questions :D
    Oh and whoof love the avatar..... Loves me a beagle
  • I did my 1st Audax 2 weeks ago, loved it. I was made to feel very welcome and had a great day out. I have booked my 2nd one in a few weeks time. Give it a go, so much better than paying way too much to do a sportive.

Do remember to take so cash as they always involve a decent Cafe or 2 :)
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    You have to navigate yourself, there will be no direction arrows. You will therefore be given a route card giving directions such as left, right, staight on. Rather that putting this in your back pocket it's a good idea to get it laminated and then cable tie it to your bars/stem.
    Set your computer to Km to be able to follow the route card.

although if you have a Garmin GPS unit etc many Audaxes now have a gpx route file---so much easier :)