True confessions

mpie
mpie Posts: 81
edited October 2013 in Pro race
Snipped from Millar thread...
For my education (at least), are there any pro-cyclist who have admitted to doping without being either caught or retired?
Or elite athletes in any other sport?

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Arguably Anquetil?

Problem with the question is that once you confess then you'd be convicted or forced into retirement... non?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    I don't think Jesus Manzano had formally retired when he spilled the beans - but he never raced again (due to injury as much as anything).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    dish_dash wrote:
    Arguably Anquetil?
    Performance-enhancing substances weren't illegal until the very end of his career though. Coppi talked about using drugs openly.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513
    I think if you removed the retirement clause there are a few more. I think riders that confess unchallenged when retired are one notch above those that only confess when found out.
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    Jerome Chiotti - Festina MTB rider. Fessed up without failing any tests:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A9r%C3%B4me_Chiotti

I only know this due to a French TV programme in the summer that I posted about here : viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=12934486
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    dish_dash wrote:
    Arguably Anquetil?

Problem with the question is that once you confess then you'd be convicted or forced into retirement... non?

Sorry, bad wording. I meant to ask if there were any who had confessed without having had a positive test (or been involuntarily 'outed' some other way) and who were not either retired or about to retire.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    sssshh sssshh shsh