rapid wieght gain/endurance?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2013 in Health, fitness & training
okay im underweight but don't wanna stop cycling.

okay im aware cycling is a cardio workout therefore burns fat/calories which hinders weight gain. jus wondering if there's anyway to gain weight while enjoying cycling. I really don't like gyms im kind of self conscious. at the moment while cycling I eat chocolate bars and drink sport's drink's product linked below. jus wondering should I be drinking a mass gainer or something similar and instead of eating chocolate so I be looking at more fattening protein and carbohydrate rich sports nutrition bars/gels. moving on would these drink's hinder my endurance and or leave me bloated im not really a massive fan of having to stop every 10 mins for a drink and snack prefer to carry on cycling and stop when I find someplace nice. rather then at the side of the path or road. was thinking about getting a camelback hydration backpack thing but I think I would look a bit stupid and there not overally cheap either . jus wondering what people recommend. thanks.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/ ... =277033502

Comments

• Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    This works for me:

CriticalMass4,4KG.jpg

As for hydration packs, tesco do a 1.5 litre hydration pack rucksack for £12 that does the job, with room for your pump, multi tool, spare inner tube, wallet, phone etc. I have the older version, but the bladder's identical in the current version that's in stores now. Why would you look stupid? They just look like a small rucksack.
  • Anonymous
    This works for me:

CriticalMass4,4KG.jpg

As for hydration packs, tesco do a 1.5 litre hydration pack rucksack for £12 that does the job, with room for your pump, multi tool, spare inner tube, wallet, phone etc. I have the older version, but the bladder's identical in the current version that's in stores now. Why would you look stupid? They just look like a small rucksack.

surely weight gained from mass gainers is lost due to cardio workout of cycling.

which was my original point?

also mass gainers are around £50 for a big tub and often quite unpleasant to drink I had a chocolate it tasted like soil. :cry:
  • Kowalski675
    surely weight gained from mass gainers is lost due to cardio workout of cycling.

Taking in more calories than you use = gain body fat. Extra colories + training = gain muscle mass. Training for muscle mass and training for endurance are two different things, requiring completely different approaches.

The 4.4kg tub of the one pictured is about £37 at the shop I get it from. Chocolate ones always taste foul, the strawberry isn't something I'd drink for pleasure, but it's bearable in half pint semi skimmed milk doses, especially with a dose of raspberry Crusha added. Pint measures leave me feeling a bit unpleasant.
  • Anonymous

Taking in more calories than you use = gain body fat. Extra colories + training = gain muscle mass. Training for muscle mass and training for endurance are two different things, requiring completely different approaches.

The 4.4kg tub of the one pictured is about £37 at the shop I get it from. Chocolate ones always taste foul, the strawberry isn't something I'd drink for pleasure, but it's bearable in half pint semi skimmed milk doses, especially with a dose of raspberry Crusha added. Pint measures leave me feeling a bit unpleasant.

i'd like to a bit more muscular and have a bit more endurance I've registered interest to do a 20 miles off-road race for charity im a fan of winning so ideally the less drink breaks I have the better.

some muscle mass for increased strength and speed
    and endurance so I can keep going at full whack.

my family whom im living with don't approve of these things mass gainer's and protein supplements saying its cause's high cholesterol? and other health scares. they keep saying ill get fatter in my own time LOL. im sure its probably not good for you all that carbs and proteins. but people use this stuff all the time and no issues I guess?
    they seem to think its a sort of drug or something slightly paranoid and worried for my health?
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    It sounds to me like you've got 2 conflicting goals:
    1) the 20 mile race
    2) gain muscle and get bigger

For the race part you can develop 'riding strength and endurance' by RIDING.
    Do hills that are difficult, and also do extended flat & rolling rides that last for 2 hours or more. Keep the pace on the long rides at a pace that allows you to get home, but feel knackered for the rest of the day.

For muscles and weight gain, I suggest (and do in off-season) exercises at home.
    What I do is sets that include: upper body stretches, knee raises, lower body stretches, step bench, lower body stretches (again), push-ups. Then immediately do more sets - I do a total of 5 sets in about 30 minutes. If you have access to a pull-up / chin-up bar, do some of those too - with stretching between sets. The pull-ups / chin-ups can be very difficult - just do what you can, and don't give up.
    You'll get stronger fairly quickly, but getting bigger will take at least several months - but the exercises will build larger muscles and weight.
    Have confidence that the exercises will work, but will take time to see results.

The attraction of supplements such as whey protein, and 'mass gainers' is that they are easy and convenient. But, eating good quality foods will work just as well - look for foods that are high in protein and carbs, and low in fat. Lean ham and turkey are good for protein, rice & beans, pasta, potatoes are good for carbs.

In the seasons that are good for riding, I don't do the indoor exercises unless the weather is not suitable for riding. In the cold/wet seasons I do the exercises every other day - they are difficult enough that I need rest days, otherwise my muscles get too sore.

If you want to be bigger THIS year, it might not work - But if you want to be bigger & stronger for NEXT year, then start the exercises when the riding season is over.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Eat more calories than you burn, it's nt rocket science. I train for increasing muscle mass and ride 2/3 times per week. On ride days i eat over 4000 calories and that's not enough most of the time!

Ignore the rubbish about supplements giving you high cholesterol. Rubbish! Just eat a healthy diet and use supplements to top you up, if you need it. If you can get your cals from food then that's the best option, but it's more expensive than a shake.

No need to buy that critical mass either. Go on Myprotein website, get a bag of oats, whey. Mix up 100g oats, 25g whey with a pint of full fat milk and a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil and you can a shake packing a good 900 cals
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    Your weight and body 'type' are greatly influenced by your genetics, and by your age.
    YES, you can exercise and build bigger and stronger muscles, and have better endurance, but you can't change your basic biology (or your parents).

Back when I was 18 years old (1966, yeah old guy...), I was 5 foot 10 inches and weighed 139 pounds, today still same height and weigh 170 pounds - a little chunky around the waist, but bigger and stronger legs, chest, arms, neck. The added weight is mostly from getting older, the bigger & stronger is from doing exercises and keep doing them.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • Kowalski675
    Concorde wrote:
    No need to buy that critical mass either. Go on Myprotein website, get a bag of oats, whey. Mix up 100g oats, 25g whey with a pint of full fat milk and a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil and you can a shake packing a good 900 cals

That sounds minging, I think I'd bring that back up, lol. As has been said, there's nothing magical about the weight gain supplements, they're just a convenient alternative to eating more food (good if, like me, you don't have a big appetite and see food as a necessity, rather than a pleasure. When I was a lot younger and training at the gym three times per week I was eating 5000 or more calories per day, and I couldn't have eaten enough food for that - I was having three pints of weight gain shake per day.
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:

That sounds minging, I think I'd bring that back up, lol. As has been said, there's nothing magical about the weight gain supplements, they're just a convenient alternative to eating more food (good if, like me, you don't have a big appetite and see food as a necessity, rather than a pleasure. When I was a lot younger and training at the gym three times per week I was eating 5000 or more calories per day, and I couldn't have eaten enough food for that - I was having three pints of weight gain shake per day.

It's lovely, the oats are fine oats so they mix well. The whey is vanilla flavoured and the EVOO gives it a nice taste too. Tastes like a thick milkshake. At first they're a bit heavy on the stomach but get used to that quickly. Packs a punch!

5000cals per day is a bit excessive just for weight training three times per week I'd say?! Unless you was riding or other cardio activities.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    If you want to get quick on a bike don't take crap like that, just ride your bike! Extra muscle mass will be of no use whatsoever, it's just additional weight to lug up the hills.

Learn to drink while riding, either from a bottle or a hydration pack, no need to stop.

If you want to 'bulk up' then you need to accept it will come at the expense of any fitness gained from riding.
  • concorde
    njee20 wrote:
    If you want to get quick on a bike don't take crap like that, just ride your bike! Extra muscle mass will be of no use whatsoever, it's just additional weight to lug up the hills.

Learn to drink while riding, either from a bottle or a hydration pack, no need to stop.

If you want to 'bulk up' then you need to accept it will come at the expense of any fitness gained from riding.

But he said he wants to build muscle as well as endurance, nowhere did he say 'I want to get quicker on a bike! You can build endurance and muscle at the same time. Getting faster and muscle don't really go together. I've said it before, we don't all wanna be skinny little boys.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    i'd like to a bit more muscular and have a bit more endurance I've registered interest to do a 20 miles off-road race for charity im a fan of winning so ideally the less drink breaks I have the better.

some muscle mass for increased strength and speed
    and endurance so I can keep going at full whack.

At best 'bulking up' with shit like this will add useless muscle bulk, at worst (and far more likely) it'll make you fat. Riding a bike more will make you better at riding a bike, far more so than anything from a tub.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    njee20 wrote:

Have to agree here.

Focus more on the endurance of the muscle than building bigger ones i.e. high reps, low weight.

Big muscles are fine for impressing the ladies, but generally dont mean sh*t on the bike.
  • Kowalski675
    Concorde wrote:
    Concorde wrote:

It's lovely, the oats are fine oats so they mix well. The whey is vanilla flavoured and the EVOO gives it a nice taste too. Tastes like a thick milkshake. At first they're a bit heavy on the stomach but get used to that quickly. Packs a punch!

5000cals per day is a bit excessive just for weight training three times per week I'd say?! Unless you was riding or other cardio activities.

Nah, it was just training for mass gain to look better, not cardio fitness (I've always been too lazy for cardio - gym work was a means to an end, not a hobby in itself). I could afford to take in more calories than I was using, even training three times a week, since I was starting from around 6% body fat, so could afford to add a bit of fat too, lol (and starting from such a low fat level meant the muscle gains were noticeable in a short space of time, which gave you the incentive to put up with the hard work and boredom of the gym). I didn't put on any fat though - gained about a stone, but still had the same body fat percentage, I was still slim, but very ripped back then, with abs you could've cracked coconuts on, lol. I've lost weight again in the last couple of years (for reasons I won't bore you with), so really should get back to the gym, but just can't find the motivation.

Your drink still sounds minging though :wink:
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Firstly, you don't need to stop to drink

Second, stopping is gay.

Im 65kg (was 60kg) and I drink Myprotein's impact weight gainer. Its about 400 calories and full of complex carbs. Ditch the chocolate, its awful stuff. You'll find more power & energy if you eat good carbs. Peanut butter is also good. Packed full of calories and protein.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    When I was in my early twenties I was very fit from mountain biking and weighted a fair bit less than I do now in my forties. I was very slim and used to eat a lot but it made little difference to my build. As long as you are fit and healthy just enjoy being slim and very fit. Give it twenty years and you will wonder what you were concerned about ;)

The worst thing you can do it start filling you body with all kinds of stuff trying to meet a goal that is virtually impossible due to your natural build and fitness.