Need help adjusting my V-brakes

tc1992
tc1992 Posts: 62
edited October 2013 in The workshop
i bought a second hand bike recently, and am new to this. Just trying to do a few tweaks.
At the moment on the back break, the brake block on the right moves before the one on the left. Having looked at a couple of youtube videos they are saying to adjust the small screw(s) at the bottom of the brake housing (is that the right term?).

I don't have screws there, i have what i think might need adjusting with a very small alan key, as you can in the picture. So do a need an alan key for this, or are the screws missing?

rco9vm.jpg

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    They are called grub screws. Yes they are adjusted with a hex (or Allen) key.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks liek they need a bit of lube too (but don't get it on the rims or pads!)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May just be the angle of the photo but that looks like the post may be bent...
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tc1992
    thanks all

yes just starting to lube things up now i'm getting used to it. Post is fine, crap camera.
  • Could be seized up.

Take the brake arms off, give the post, hole, bolt and mount a good clean then grease it up before your put it back on.

Adjust the screws after you're happy that the arms move freely.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Could be seized up.

Take the brake arms off, give the post, hole, bolt and mount a good clean then grease it up before your put it back on.

Adjust the screws after you're happy that the arms move freely.

This is good advice. If they still don't work just buy some good quality metal replacements. They are very easy to fit.

My old bike had the same problem as the adjustment in one of the arms broke. So I just replaced it.
  • You can often pick up a set of XTR Vs on eBay relatively cheap. The linear pull mechanism means more of the pad make a solid contact with the wheel than with regular Vs. I'm still turning a set on an old MTB, they're pretty good compared to mechanical discs but suffer more I think the wet on the the road, don't seem to fade badly in mud.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tc1992
    Initialsed . . sorry i missed your posts at the time, thanks for the advice, going to stick with these for the moment.

I bought an allen key to "suit M3 grub screw", it was too small.
    Could anyone post a direct link (ebay, amazon, etc) to the exact one i need
  • tc1992
    bump
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    tc1992 wrote:
    Initialsed . . sorry i missed your posts at the time, thanks for the advice, going to stick with these for the moment.

I bought an allen key to "suit M3 grub screw", it was too small.
    Could anyone post a direct link (ebay, amazon, etc) to the exact one i need

Just get a set of allen keys. A set like this will do the job and will be useful in future.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tc1992
    good idea , makes a lot of sense