Best Rider ~ 2013

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited October 2013 in Pro race
Not sure who it is this year, Cancellara, Nibali or Froome? Or maybe Vos?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    It's been a strange year with no-one being particularly consistent. I'd go with Vos overall but of the male riders possibly one of the up and coming riders such as Demare or Pinot? Not necessarily the best in terms of results but some good performances and maybe more 'breakthrough' riders. For consistency through the season I suppose it would have to be JRod with his number 1 ranking confirming it but it actually felt like he didn't have a brilliant season.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    JRod. He is No1 in the rankings so he must have been the best.
  • I'd actually go with Nibali. Really impressed me this year.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    mike6 wrote:
    JRod. He is No1 in the rankings so he must have been the best.

He's been consistent, but he's not won much has he.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165
    Its a long ol' season so perhaps hard for one to stick in the mind as best all the way through. You almost forget how dominant Cancellara was in the classics, even when favourite. Was amazing to see him ride away from Sagan for example. Nibali at the Giro was formidable obviously, but he stayed competitive across the season (Vuelta/Worlds etc), something which Froome didn't for example?

The BR board should have an end of season awards thread, where people vote on different categories. Could be done with Google docs or a survey monkey perhaps.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I'd actually go with Nibali. Really impressed me this year.

Me too. He's matured this year and his attacks have generally been decisive, whereas previously they were often speculative and futile.

I think the way he won Tirreno was particularly impressive.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Not many 41 year olds win GTs..... just saying.

Cancellera or Froome for me.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Nibali for me. Robbed of a dominant Giro win by the elements. Close second in Vuelta. Competitive in Worlds.

[OT Originally wrote competitive in classics. But that was 2012. Here's another top class rider who seems to have to park one-day ambitions to succeed in stage races. Pity if that continues through a 2014 Tour campaign]
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited October 2013
    Froome. If he hadn't been mugged by Nibali on one day in Tirreno Adriatico he would have won every race he (seriously) tried to. And won them comfortably too.

As an outside choice- Marcel Kittel - he challenged the king and won.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Honourable mention to Dan Martin - was good in lots of the one-dayers, featured in the GTs too. Season-long consistency.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    "It's great to be number one (in the Gran Gala classification). It's just a pity not to be number one in the UCI rankings even though everyone knows what I've won this year," Nibali told Gazetta dello Sport at the Gran Gala event.

"Perhaps the way the points are awarded is wrong and needs rethinking. To be honest it's not something I think about too much when I race. I prefer to race."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Fabian/Froome for me.

Though I tip my internet hat to Tony Martin.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Don't know how it's quantified but i've enjoyed Mollema's season and Bakelandts type of racing.

Pinot coming back from that disastrous Tour to take 7th in the Vuelta on top of his 4th at Suisse was impressive
  • sbbefc
    sbbefc Posts: 189
    Big fan of Quintana
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Froome
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Don't know how it's quantified but i've enjoyed Mollema's season and Bakelandts type of racing.

Jan Bakelandts gave the interview of the year after his TdF Stage 2 win. Worth seeking out in the looming gloom for its sheer joy:

"I'm incredibly happy - I've never one a race in professional ranks. I can't win in a bunch sprint so I decided to go. I started pushing and I went fast. I thought, 'just pedal!' and I made it, I won. What a victory. It's hard to believe."
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    1. Cancellara - Great season from start to finish
    2. Nibali - The outstanding GC rider
    3. Purito - The most consistent, you can't argue with the points as they are allocated

And for the BR home crowd:
    1. Froome - Won the main race right?
    2. Martin - Strong performances all round
    3. Cavendish - Best of the british sprinters, won a couple of races ;-)
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Nibali

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • ad_snow
    ad_snow Posts: 469
    Hard to pick just one! I've really enjoyed watching Dan Martin come on this year and also Tony Martin continue his dominance in all things TT.

So anyone with the surname Martin really :D
  • No contest. Froome
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Macaloon wrote:
    Jan Bakelandts gave the interview of the year after his TdF Stage 2 win. Worth seeking out in the looming gloom for its sheer joy:

"I'm incredibly happy - I've never one a race in professional ranks. I can't win in a bunch sprint so I decided to go. I started pushing and I went fast. I thought, 'just pedal!' and I made it, I won. What a victory. It's hard to believe."
    The other thing he said after he won that stage is that he was rooming with Jens Voigt and when the pain got too much and he thought he'd be caught before the line he knew he couldn't give up and had to keep going or he wouldn't have been able to face Jens afterwards.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Nibs for me. Brilliant in the Giro, and was unlucky to have come up against something not normal in the Vuelta.
  • tailwindhome
    ad_snow wrote:
    Hard to pick just one! I've really enjoyed watching Dan Martin come on this year and also Tony Martin continue his dominance in all things TT.

So anyone with the surname Martin really :D

Martyn Irvine ?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    RichN95 wrote:
    Marcel Kittel - he challenged the king and won.

+1

On the biggest stage (metaphorically) he beat the outstanding performer of his generation when it really counted thus becoming the biggest fish in the biggest pond
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

The other thing he said after he won that stage is that he was rooming with Jens Voigt and when the pain got too much and he thought he'd be caught before the line he knew he couldn't give up and had to keep going or he wouldn't have been able to face Jens afterwards.

:D Bakelandts was good value this season too... look forward to seeing lots more from him...
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Froome
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Mustapha Sayar. He was excellent in Turkey, pushing that big gear.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Joelsim wrote:
    Mustapha Sayar. He was excellent in Turkey, taking that big gear.

FIFY
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    1 day stuff Dan Martin, TT stuff Tony Martin, sprint stuff Kittell and Cav, classics Cancellara. Overall, Nibbles!

honorable mention to Purito, think he spread himself a bit thinly, and paid for it in the end and Sagan who despite not being quite as stellar as he was last year, picked up quite a few stage wins and another green jersey..
  • tailwindhome
    philbar72 wrote:
    Sagan who despite not being quite as stellar as he was last year, picked up quite a few stage wins and another green jersey..

I reckon he's managed to win more races than anyone else but still be a bit disappointed.

The drawback of being hugely talented...