What makes a bike"custom"???

bmxboy10
bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Right bear with me on this please. Been looking around for a few weeks at custom bike builders as I want a one off steel frame with forks. One or two of the builders I have spoken to are true ground up builders so you know the frames are one offs and I am fairly happy with the thought of going with one of the builders I have spoken to but lets just say my heart is not racing just yet plus they are not cheap.

I have spoken to another well known builder who say their bikes are "custom" and I love their bikes but I have done some research that suggests their bikes are not so much custom but are "built to order". Having spent some time doing my homework this tends to mean off the peg sized frames that are built for you when you pay a deposit with a colour scheme of your choice. Surely this is not the same thing right?

Comments

• Read Robert Penn's book. "It's all about the bike"
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I have seen the film - that's what got me interested in steel:)
  • tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    To me a "custom" bike would be one built specifically for me using my measurements, everything else would also be to my specification, so gruppo, wheels, finishing kit....

Anything else and its as you state, of the peg
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    Justin Burls does custom frames at a great price , he is doing me a a titanium frame at the moment fully up to modern spec di2/std gear options and tapered headtube, also with integrated post as this is a great weight saver and on a custom frame is worth it . have a look at some of his bikes the titanium ones are made in Russia but the steel ones he does in the u.k.
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    The builder or their agent measures/assesses you and your style of riding and the bike is built to fit you as opposed to a stock frame in eg M or L then tweaked using a longer/shorter stem and straight/laid back seatpost
    M.Rushton
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    limoneboy wrote:
    Justin Burls does custom frames at a great price , he is doing me a a titanium frame at the moment fully up to modern spec di2/std gear options and tapered headtube, also with integrated post as this is a great weight saver and on a custom frame is worth it . have a look at some of his bikes the titanium ones are made in Russia but the steel ones he does in the u.k.

I've ordered a custom Ti from Justin last week too - but in a bit of a different direction. Mine will be a bit more of a racy version of an audax frame with a very short head tube to allow me to keep my current position, but with clearance for 28mm tyres and full mudguards (with 57mm drop calipers), rear rack mounts, and a nice relaxing head tube angle.

As said, prices are great and Justin was brilliant when we specced my new frame up. Cant wait to get it now 8)
  • limoneboy
    limoneboy Posts: 480
    limoneboy wrote:

I've ordered a custom Ti from Justin last week too - but in a bit of a different direction. Mine will be a bit more of a racy version of an audax frame with a very short head tube to allow me to keep my current position, but with clearance for 28mm tyres and full mudguards (with 57mm drop calipers), rear rack mounts, and a nice relaxing head tube angle.

As said, prices are great and Justin was brilliant when we specced my new frame up. Cant wait to get it now 8)

Might see you around i live in chester and ride a round the wirral. :)
    last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    limoneboy wrote:

Might see you around i live in chester and ride a round the wirral. :)

Hahaha oh no - two custom Burls titaniums in the same area!! So much for going for the "exclusive" option! Sorry but you're going to have to cancel your order :lol::wink::wink:

I'm up in Hoylake myself Limoneboy - but generally ride to the Eureka Cafe to start most rides on Sundays with Port Sunlight Wheelers. I'll keep my eyes peeled in future for another Burls Ti 8)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I had a completely bespoke tourer built for me by Mark Reilly at Enigma. Everything was chosen by me, from the designs of the lugs to the components to the livery. I chose the tube set - Columbus Spirit - and the measurements were for me alone. There are no other bikes like it anywhere.