Fulcrum Racing 4 (Quattro)

ddgracing
ddgracing Posts: 31
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I would like to know your opinion about the wheels Fulcrum Racing 4 (Quattro) because I'm thinking to buy them in future.
They seem ideal for flat rides but are them good also for climbs?
Thanks for your replies! :)

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    They will go up hills just fine - but you do have to pedal....
  • Imposter wrote:
    They will go up hills just fine - but you do have to pedal....

Indeed! Climbs are never easy! :mrgreen:
    Do I have to pedal up hills a lot harder with Fulcrum 4 than with Fulcrum 3? :?
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have the Quattro,s and they are very good wheels for the money.They go up hills ok,but I don,t think they will make you a better climber,they just won,t hold you back.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Thanks Elderone for your useful reply.
    I'm glad to hear that they are good wheels at a right quality/price! 8)
    Yes I don't think that I will become a better climber since I am better on flats rides, but at least they will be better and much lighter than my current wheels Ambrosio WS23...
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    As you suggest, they are likely to be marginally quicker on the flat but marginally slower up hills compared to a similarly priced but shallower section wheelset, as the latter will probably be a bit lighter.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    who cares? they look super blingy! :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • imposter2.0
    thegibdog wrote:
    As you suggest, they are likely to be marginally quicker on the flat but marginally slower up hills compared to a similarly priced but shallower section wheelset, as the latter will probably be a bit lighter.

I have a set - they are not heavy wheels at 1700g +/- (can't remember the exact weight). They are excellent wheels for the price, they look great and they will climb in exactly the same way as any other wheel of a similar weight, regardless of section.
  • thegibdog
    Imposter wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    I have a set - they are not heavy wheels at 1700g +/- (can't remember the exact weight). They are excellent wheels for the price, they look great and they will climb in exactly the same way as any other wheel of a similar weight, regardless of section.
    Indeed, but lighter shallower section wheels are available for a similar price - Ultegra for example.
  • imposter2.0
    thegibdog wrote:
    Indeed, but lighter shallower section wheels are available for a similar price - Ultegra for example.

I got the quattros for £224 - the cheapest I can see the Ultegras is around £270 - and there might be 100g in it....
  • thegibdog
    Imposter wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    I got the quattros for £224 - the cheapest I can see the Ultegras is around £270 - and there might be 100g in it....
    Both can be currently had for just under £200 - Quattros at Bikediscount.de and Ultegras at Ribble.

By the way I am not criticising your choice of wheel, I was thinking of getting some myself.
  • imposter2.0
    thegibdog wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Both can be currently had for just under £200 - Quattros at Bikediscount.de and Ultegras at Ribble.

By the way I am not criticising your choice of wheel, I was thinking of getting some myself.

No that's fine, I know you weren't. My lad rides them anyway, not me - although I have tried them. TBH, the bling look was a major consideration for him.. ;)
  • The 2014 Fulcrum Racing 5s are lighter and cheaper than the Quattros with shallower rims I believe.
  • imposter2.0
    Rusty Nail wrote:
    The 2014 Fulcrum Racing 5s are lighter and cheaper than the Quattros with shallower rims I believe.

A bit cheaper yes, although the shimano freehub version puts the weight up a bit. Anyway, we're talking a few grammes...
  • You can pick up Shimano RS80 C24 for £299.

I would look at them instead of the fulcrums if your bothered about weight as they are over 250g lighter.

To be honest you have to remove over 500g off a bike to even begin to notice real differences.
    If your weight cutting to climb them you have to remove quite a bit compared to say getting a 50/39 chainset and/or a cassette suited to climbs.

Campagnolo Zondas or the model below are good too and are actually similar to fulcrum as campy own fulcrum!
  • Thank you very much for all your replies! :)
    I may consider the new Fulcrum 5 2014 too but I like a lot the 4! :mrgreen:
    It's good to hear that they climb well so I can avoid to worry to compare it to the more expensive 3... :wink:
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    You can pick up Shimano RS80 C24 for £299.

I've seen the RS81 for £350, where can you get the 80 ?
  • adamfo
    Imposter wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

6800 Ultegra £243 currently at Ribble
  • imposter2.0
    adamfo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:

6800 Ultegra £243 currently at Ribble

I didn't check the Ribble site, as I won't go near them. Although the Ultegras were not really a consideration tbh..
  • adamfo
    Your right, forget Ribble folks Bike-Discount.de are cheaper for most wheels. They also have free shipping to the UK on orders over 250 euros.