Comments

• RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    What horse's head in the bed...

Oh no that's godfather...
  • wallace_and_gromit
    wallace_and_gromit Posts: 3,042
    edited October 2013
    It's not that far fetched to say a good first cat could hang in there if they were a good climber - a guy we went over with who was a first cat finished top 100 - you may be right but I'm not sure it's nailed on either way. Be good to see a few try!

Indeed. I was deliberately non-committal, as you can always find a Cat 1 rider on his way up through the ranks who has yet to find their (higher) level, who can perform at a higher standard than is typical of their categorisation.

I still think you'd need to be more than simply strong as a Cat 1 racer in the UK to live with the autobus. But never say never - there's always an exception to sweeping generalisations. (Re your man who did top 100 for the Marmotte - in 2011 this was around 6:30 excluding the Glandon, so ~6:50 for the full route. Still a distance away from keeping up with the autobus even if my estimate of just over 6 hours was a bit optimistic.

In terms of the amount of support that the top Marmotteers get, an acquaintence of mine who got round in the low 7 hours was stationary for around 2 minutes, making use of easy access to the feed stations from being at the front and friends positioned round the course. So I don't think this is a significant factor. (Being in the autobus through the Valley of Death after the Glandon would be a help vs the leading Marmotteers, who tackle this in much smaller groups.)

Another telling statistic is that the autobus can climb the Alpe "easily" in under an hour, whereas the number of Marmotteers who can do the slightly shorter climb up the Alpe in under an hour is vanishingly small. My acquaintence who did the low 7 hours Marmotte took 1:08.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    ddraver wrote:
    Everyone in the UK starts at 4, and depending on where you come, move up the categories each year...

It varies from country to country though, everyone has different set ups.

Everyone above cat 4 is a suspect doper IMO. I ride clean...and have results that reflect that :(
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TheBigBean wrote:
    Forgive my ignorance, but how do you go about becoming a cat 1-4? There's always lots of talk about them, and I'm wondering which cat I might be.

Points make prizes. Start off with a full racing licence as a cat 4 and move up through the categories over time by earning enough ranking points through results at national and regional races.

Better still, race on a provisional licence, so you don't get any points. That way, if you're competitive at Cat 4, you "find your level" at the sharp end of races rather than at the back of Cat 3. If Cat 4 is too boring, or you get too much abuse from people who think you're playing the system, then you can enter higher categories to receive a ritual beating every so often.

I discovered this possibility when having flukily taken 10th place in my last race this year, I found that as I didn't have a full licence, I didn't get the point I'd so coveted. I was initially miffed, but then realised I can use this to my advantage. I'm sure it's against established etiquette, though as it's not precluded by the Velominati's "Rules" then it must be OK. :wink:
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    ddraver wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    emadden wrote:
    BigMat wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha! You know what, its all relative and I bet you're not. Just like none of us are better climbers than Cav.

Sorry ... but thats pure boll'ox. The average pro is not super human - they are the cream of the crop, but most strong cat 1 riders would be capable of hanging onto the gruppetto at the Tour. They may not be able to do it for 2 days on the trot, but thats the stamina you get with racing at the pro level every day. I know its off topic, but i see this statement so often it irks me.
    You mean like most strong Cat 1s were able to stay with Cav at the Abergavenny nat champs?

Able to stay with Cav Racing in the Tour or able to stay with Cav riding up hills waving at the crowds?
    You didn't get my irony - Abergavenny would be a good example of Cav outclimbing pretty much all UK domestic riders.
    I agree with Rick :)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Sorry, read as Wiggins selling fish.

I can see that's not right, now.

He's the Modfather, not the Codfather

No no no - he's Shellfish ... he's clamming up, lacking in mussel pow(d)er...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Slowbike wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Shame as the world was his oyster after 2012, people should stop being so crabby with him. He should just retire back to Belgium and open a Fietswinkel

No?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    ddraver wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Shame as the world was his oyster after 2012, people should stop being so crabby with him. He should just retire back to Belgium and open a Fietswinkel

No?

OMFG and we aren't even into the off-season yet....
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    dish_dash wrote:
    He is. :!:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Droll :lol:
  • RideOnTime
    ddraver wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

No?

Eel be back with avengenance next season...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    RideOnTime wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

No?

Eel be back with avengenance next season...

yer - he'll beat them shrimps into submission again ...
  • deejay wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

Droll :lol:

Yeah - props for that one :D
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins made a special appearance at a memorial ride for a promising cyclist who died at the age of 15.

Lewis Barry, who was known as Spadger, was a talented rider from Garforth in West Yorkshire who died of sudden arrhythmic death syndrome in June 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-24511996
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    FocusZing wrote:
    Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins made a special appearance at a memorial ride for a promising cyclist who died at the age of 15.

Lewis Barry, who was known as Spadger, was a talented rider from Garforth in West Yorkshire who died of sudden arrhythmic death syndrome in June 2010.

Fair play, that's a very decent gesture
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Fair play, that's a very decent gesture

Yes, you have to admire that.

BWkHF6BIAAAz6ph.jpg
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    The lad who died doesn't get any benefit out of that ... Yet Bradley seems to be doing alright out of it ...

If he doesn't actually know the boy then stay home and stop courting journalistic favour ...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    The lad who died doesn't get any benefit out of that ... Yet Bradley seems to be doing alright out of it ...

If he doesn't actually know the boy then stay home and stop courting journalistic favour ...

Shameful comment.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Ed-tron
    Ed-tron Posts: 165

So no one should ever go to a funeral, ever, because the dead won't benefit from it?

You must see that is nuts.

Simply put, its a fine gesture that the boy's family and friends would have taken much comfort from.
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015

As someone who did know the boy (in fact, someone who rode with him) and his family well, it's a very wrong comment.

Brad knows Mark + Carol and has done for many years. A very distasteful comment.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466

Man up and apologise.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    ...and that's why Crank is blocked...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Shameful comment.

+1. Disgraceful.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458

Grow up or go away you hateful man.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

What an absolute p***k. :roll:
  • RideOnTime
    Nice beard.
  • The lad who died doesn't get any benefit out of that ... Yet Bradley seems to be doing alright out of it ...

Thats a bit harsh mate, even by my standards. :|
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    She's a MILF though. Nice. :P

F*ck me that's sad.
  • A couple of examples of poor excuses for people, commenting in this thread
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    I suppose we should be thankful he was visible during the ride ... Obviously wasn't wearing his National kit ...