Threaded headset problem

flester
flester Posts: 464
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Threaded headset won't stay tightened. I hoped a new locknut would solve the problem but looks like the threads on the fork are stripped. What are my options (other than a new fork)? I've taken out the washer between locknut at bearing race hoping it'll grip a bit better.

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    A bit of threadlock maybe?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    flester wrote:
    Threaded headset won't stay tightened. I hoped a new locknut would solve the problem but looks like the threads on the fork are stripped. What are my options (other than a new fork)? I've taken out the washer between locknut at bearing race hoping it'll grip a bit better.
    here you mention two possible causes. one is stripped threads and the other is the removal of the tabbed washer.

if you can not get the nut to lock agains the washer due to damaged threads first replave the nut. (to check is the fork threads are not to bad), if it works it is fine. if not then new fork time. the tabbed washer is there to stop the nut working lose as it will do so without it being fitted.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown