Is it worth getting waterproof bib tights for the winter?

lukebennett
lukebennett Posts: 52
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Or shall I just get standard bib tights? or something different for the cold and wet?

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Is it possible to get waterproof ones? I'm interested but I've not seen any.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Heres some waterproof bib tights, there pretty expensive though so wasn't sure whether they were worth it or not?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/end ... s-ec019858
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    I'm wondering the same thing...

I've been impressed by the Sportful no-rain arm & knee warmers I have, so was debating the no-rain bib tights
    Or, should I get the Mavic Equipe bib tights, since I know I like Mavic stuff?

After a soggy ride this morning, I didn't really notice wet legs, as long as my body and feet were mostly dry, so was thinking Equipe, but then it wasn't really that cold, so maybe the no-rain might be better when it's colder.
    So in other words I can't make my mind up either
  • Yeah, well i'm currently just riding in running shorts so not sure what to go for. Is it really necessary to have waterproof tights, or will I be warm enough in non waterproof tights in the rain throughout the winter?
  • unixnerd
    To be honest if you keep your feet warm with good neoprene overshoes (such as Planet-X) and have a long back on your jacket to keep you bum dry that's half the battle.

If it's bad weather I'd do a shorter ride at a higher pace and not stay out so long. I think waterproof tights may be overkill unless you need them for commuting.
  • ctc
    ctc Posts: 232
    Last couple of years I've ridden in shorts + knee or leg warmers down to about 5 degrees, and then a pair of unpadded tights over shorts when it's colder, and I haven't really had a problem
    I bought some campagnolo bib tights from either planet x when they were selling them off cheap earlier this year, and today was the first time I wore them. I wouldn't really say they were better than a good pair of bib shorts + some leg warmers, and as I said I didn't really notice the wet because I was quite warm.

If you're in running shorts at the moment, you will get far more use out of some good bib shorts, some knee and leg warmers and a pair of cheap over tights for when it's really cold.

You can get the sportful no-rain bib shorts, along with some no-rain knee and leg warmers and then have the best of both...
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I use Sportful no rain arm warmers, they're ok in very light drizzle but after that they're a waste of time and the rain just goes straight through them, plus apparently after a couple of washes they lose the repellent too.
    Lusso do repel bib tights for about £45 and they do the same job, I used some a few years back and they're good value and a good place to start.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    CTC wrote:
    I've been impressed by the Sportful no-rain arm & knee warmers I have, so was debating the no-rain bib tights
    Or, should I get the Mavic Equipe bib tights, since I know I like Mavic stuff?

I've got some Mavic Equipe bib tights and really like them. They have a DWR water repellent finish, so ok in showers, but not particularly windproof when it's REALLY cold and wet...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • unixnerd
    Comment from that thread:
    You can reproof kit - using Nikwash. So I reckon you could make any bibtights water resistant. They'd all soak thru in heavier rain though

Has anyone tried this? I have a bottle of that lying around but am off the bike for a bit with a broken wrist due to a cycling accident.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Thing is, if you have to re-proof them with nikwax then why buy waterproof ones to start with? Why not just proof some normal bibshorts - or is this not possible?
  • Thanks guys for your reply's I might go for bib shorts and leg and arm warmers or something. Since we are on the topic of winter gear. Shall I go for a pair of winter riding shoes and a pair of summer riding shoes? Or just invest in a pair if summer shoes and good overshoes?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Winter boots - summer shoes with overshoes doesnt even come close.
  • apreading wrote:
    Winter boots - summer shoes with overshoes doesnt even come close.
    Aha from reading reviews it deinitely sells it to me. No more soggy feet aha. I don't even have any proper cycling shoes at the moment so just ruining my trainers...
  • unixnerd
    I have mtb shoes and road shoes. Under a pair of neoprene overshoes there isn't a massive difference although given the choice I'd take mtb shoes. Even in sleet storms for two hours I've found my Planet-X overshoes to be 100% waterproof. With the right gear it's possible to enjoy cycling in any weather, although if it's really wet I prefer to go off road.

I find the main difference is that on road shoes with overshoes the soles of my feet get cold, that doesn't happen with mtb shoes as much. Living in a place where I could look out my window today and see fresh lying snow on the hills I tend to use my overshoes a lot, best 15 quid I ever spent on bike gear.

Mtb shoes often have two sets of holes in the bottom for cleats. Do yourself a favour and seal up the unused set.
  • brucey72
    brucey72 Posts: 1,086
    I bought a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit winter boots last year and they are excellent. I find them much warmer than my old summer shoe/neoprene overshoe combination. I think you will find that if you ride in the rain your feet will eventually get wet anyway as the rain runs down your legs and into the top of the overshoe or winter boot. The important thing is that overshoes or winter boots will keep your wet feet warm
  • rbarcan
    rbarcan Posts: 206
    I have the Sportful Fiandre light jacket (2011 version I think) and their Fiandre bib tights. Both work a treat. I haven't noticed and drop offin performance of the tights. The jacket did leak a bit for the first time recently in 2.5 hrs continuous rain. I contacted Sportful who advised spraying with TX.

Nothing lasts for ever but the jacket is a superb fit and would still be my go to outer garment for early winter just for its comfort and wind resistance. Not having to carry a separate rain jacket is a bonus.

Also have the Castelli arms and knee warmers and they still work well with a gilet after a year.

Perhaps I should wash my kit more often but this technology seems to work for me!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Thanks guys for your reply's I might go for bib shorts and leg and arm warmers or something. Since we are on the topic of winter gear. Shall I go for a pair of winter riding shoes and a pair of summer riding shoes? Or just invest in a pair if summer shoes and good overshoes?

Mudguards are the most important part of keeping dry, then dress to stay warm even when wet. I've some mavic splashproof bibs but I'll always reach for my dbh roubaix 3/4s. Proper waterproof tends to = boil in a bag, look for fleece lined/softshell windproof kit.

I've also got winter boots, didn't use them last year. Perhaps they are a rubbish selection (shimano RW80s) but good socks, normal clipless shoes and overshoes are personally much better.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a look at these; http://www.enduraequipe.com/products/legwear/thermo_windshield_biblongs.aspx

They've got waterproof panels on shins, knees and seat, so they keep the bulk of the spray and muck from soaking through. I wore them through last winter and they were great. Highly recommended !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved