New Cav Autobiography: At Speed

pomtarr
pomtarr Posts: 318
edited January 2014 in Pro race
http://www.eburypublishing.co.uk/editions/at-speed/9780091933401

"At Speed My life in the fast lane"

Out on 7th Nov, just in time for Christmas... Presumably this means there'll also be a third volume later covering the end of his career.
Living in the goldfish bowl, he has come under fire for his bombastic riding style and been portrayed as everything from an outlaw to a psychopath.
:shock:

51uajt5%2BA0L._SY445_.jpg Looks like they've used the same photographer from Millar's cover.
"Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"

Comments

• mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    pomtarr wrote:
    http://www.eburypublishing.co.uk/editions/at-speed/9780091933401

"At Speed My life in the fast lane"

Out on 7th Nov, just in time for Christmas... Presumably this means there'll also be a third volume later covering the end of his career.
    Living in the goldfish bowl, he has come under fire for his bombastic riding style and been portrayed as everything from an outlaw to a psychopath.
    :shock:

51uajt5%2BA0L._SY445_.jpg Looks like they've used the same photographer from Millar's cover.

Outlaw to a psychopath? Probably a bit of both, he is a sprinter after all. He is also, according to David Millar, a bit OCD. Must be difficult being his swanny or mechanic, or possibly not if you do your job properly. :D
  • Sure this should be called:

At Speed: My life in the Middle Lane behind Kittel and Sagan.
  • mike6
    Sure this should be called:

Yawn. :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853

Drivel.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I really hope it is better written than Boy Racer. As much as I like Cav the rider I thought it was poorly written (I know it was ghosted) and badly proofed.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • LeePaton
    LeePaton Posts: 353
    Always enjoy learning more about Cav, he is a character to say the least. Love his attitude to get him where he is and think it should be put out there more for youngsters to learn from.
    It's not so much about winning, I just hate losing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,027
    I really hope it is better written than Boy Racer. As much as I like Cav the rider I thought it was poorly written (I know it was ghosted) and badly proofed.

Poor old Friebe.
  • Yellow Peril

Poor old Friebe.

Yes I think of him every time I apply my "breaks" on my bike.
    @JaunePeril

• At Speed: My life in the Middle Lane behind Kittel and Sagan.

Drivel.

Says the man with Sagans profile pic.

Jeez, another Cav kiss-ars£. "Look at me ive 7000 posts so i must know what im talking about when it comes to the pros"

Idiot. :roll:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,853

Drivel.

Says the man with Sagans profile pic.

Jeez, another Cav kiss-ars£. "Look at me ive 7000 posts so i must know what im talking about when it comes to the pros"

Idiot. :roll:

Do you want to try playing the ball instead of the man?

Even your attack on me makes no sense...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    So, EPO delivery Troll pops up on another Cav thread. His or her bashing of Cav actually shows how little they know of pro racing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,453

Never argue with an idiot - they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Relative to different situations we find ourselves in we are all idiots.
  • carl_p
    carl_p Posts: 989

Each to their own indeed, but I quite liked Boy Racer and will probably give At Speed a go as well even it is a bit rough around the edges.
    Specialized Venge S Works
    Cannondale Synapse
    Enigma Etape
    Genesis Flyer Single Speed

Turn the corner, rub my eyes and hope the world will last...
  • Yellow Peril
    Carl_P wrote:

Each to their own indeed, but I quite liked Boy Racer and will probably give At Speed a go as well even it is a bit rough around the edges.

...I'll still read it as well because he is an awesome talent.
    @JaunePeril

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Never ever a fan of Sportsmen writing books part way through there career.

I did read boy racer which didnt give any real insight but the one thing I did enjoy and its something I have enjoyed listening when he has done interviews and documentary in the past is how he gives a run down of what happens goes on in the sprints. Explaining all the details of how it builds up etc. Like the stuff he did in that eurosport show explaining how Goss was leading him out and how it was different to having Renshaw. Its cool to hear stuff like that
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    you can trade in Boy Racer for a copy of this ?
  • I don't know why, but I'd rather read a story of someone's life once they've finished their careers. It allows them some perspective, such as Charly Wegelius or Sean Kelly's books do.

I'll wait until Cav's career is over before I read any of his books
  • mike6
    I don't know why, but I'd rather read a story of someone's life once they've finished their careers. It allows them some perspective, such as Charly Wegelius or Sean Kelly's books do.

I agree, but how are they supposed to remember the minutia of a situation 10 years after the event? Unless, of course, they realise early on that they are going to be a superstar so write everything down for future publication, just in case.
    :D
  • I don't know why, but I'd rather read a story of someone's life once they've finished their careers. It allows them some perspective, such as Charly Wegelius or Sean Kelly's books do.

They'll only be notionally his in the meantime; other people are writing them "in character". These kinds of "autobiography" are a nice little earner for the publishing companies that churn them out alongside celeb chef cookery books and chick lit.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I agree. Only when he finishes will I read one. Have obviously seen the docs on TV.

Any suggestions as to a good book, want to read Charlie W for sure and have already read, ahem 12, cycling books this year, 13 if you include The Secret Race twice.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I'll go straight to page 3 to see if there is a pic of Peta :wink: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ^ LOL
  • mike6 wrote:
    Unless, of course, they realise early on that they are going to be a superstar so write everything down for future publication, just in case.
    :D

What, like Wegelius did? :D
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    TheBigBean wrote:

Never argue with an idiot - they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Priceless - Hope I always remember that line.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    A biography by a good writer would be better...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    Markwb79 wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Priceless - Hope I always remember that line.
    Another good one is "Never wrestle with a pig. You get dirty and the pig enjoys it"
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Yellow Peril
    RideOnTime wrote:
    A biography by a good writer would be better...

+1

I have to agree with our man of many words RoT here. Cav can already look back on a great career. Cooperating with a good biographer such as Moore or Fothers would produce a first class read. A separate chapter on the Tour echelon stage alone please!
    @JaunePeril

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,134
    I'm surprised that Froome doesn't have a book in the pipeline. I would have thought that would have been a dead cert. It might be quite good too.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'm surprised that Froome doesn't have a book in the pipeline. I would have thought that would have been a dead cert. It might be quite good too.

According to the Cound, he does (she may be writing it as we speak). You can bet it will come out just before next year's Tour, and we'll get episode 23 of the ongoing soap opera that is Wiggins-Froome.