How does this wheel build sound?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Just placed an order for some hand built wheels at a local place.

They're to be used as an all round wheel not specially for racing or climbing. I tend to do long distance rides, light touring and audax/sportive events.

I weigh 78kg and have never broken a spoke in 3 years of riding.

So, the build is -

H Plus Son Archetype rims
DT Swiss 350 hubs
Sapim laser spokes on front, Sapim race on the back
Spoke count is 28 with x2 cross pattern

I didn't want loads of spokes as I don't think they'd look that good so we compromised by using heavier/stronger spokes on the rear wheel to strengthen it that way. I was assured that at my weight the front would be fine.

My current wheels are Shimano RS10s which I think are a pretty low spoke count in comparison and which have served me very well for over a year now.

So, for my budget of £400 how does that sound? They're in a queue to be built so it will be easy to tweak any of the above if it isn't right.

Comments

• Spot on!
    left the forum March 2023
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Just placed an order for some hand built wheels at a local place.

They're to be used as an all round wheel not specially for racing or climbing. I tend to do long distance rides, light touring and audax/sportive events.

I weigh 78kg and have never broken a spoke in 3 years of riding.

So, the build is -

H Plus Son Archetype rims
    DT Swiss 350 hubs
    Sapim laser spokes on front, Sapim race on the back
    Spoke count is 28 with x2 cross pattern

I didn't want loads of spokes as I don't think they'd look that good so we compromised by using heavier/stronger spokes on the rear wheel to strengthen it that way. I was assured that at my weight the front would be fine.

My current wheels are Shimano RS10s which I think are a pretty low spoke count in comparison and which have served me very well for over a year now.

So, for my budget of £400 how does that sound? They're in a queue to be built so it will be easy to tweak any of the above if it isn't right.

Sounds good but you could save a packet by changing hubs. £300 would be more realistic with an equivalent Novatec or Miche hub. DT hubs overrated and overpriced IMO.

• Sounds good but you could save a packet by changing hubs. £300 would be more realistic with an equivalent Novatec or Miche hub. DT hubs overrated and overpriced IMO.

The DT 350 are nice and not too pricey... the bearings virtually last forever and the freehub has the fully serviceable double ratchet design, which is superior to the usual pawls + ratchet. Once you wear the ratchet in a normal hub, you throw the hub away, while with DT you simply replace the two ratchets which are available as spares.
  • rodgers73
    Sounds good to me then!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175

Sounds good but you could save a packet by changing hubs. £300 would be more realistic with an equivalent Novatec or Miche hub. DT hubs overrated and overpriced IMO.

The DT 350 are nice and not too pricey... the bearings virtually last forever and the freehub has the fully serviceable double ratchet design, which is superior to the usual pawls + ratchet. Once you wear the ratchet in a normal hub, you throw the hub away, while with DT you simply replace the two ratchets which are available as spares.

You can unscrew the Novatec ratchet rings and replace the pawls, of course. Not that it's economical on those hubs!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:

You can unscrew the Novatec ratchet rings and replace the pawls, of course. Not that it's economical on those hubs!

You can unscrew the ratchet ring, but

1) you need a tool which ain't cheap and a replacement ring which is only available in Taiwan
    2) Even with the tool it ain't easy... a bit like unscrewing a seized freewheel... and if the teeth are severely worn the tool might not even engage properly
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    If your doing long audax, then DT Swiss spares generally won't be available as spares at short notice. Shimano hubs- much easier to sort on something like Paris Brest, or on a traverse across Wales. Might not concern U tho
    jc
  • rodgers73
    TBH before a really big event I'd get them serviced beforehand so I knew they were ok.
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    What type of bearings are in the DT hubs?
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am sure you will like the build. A ratchet and Pawl design does take a long time to wear out though.I'm still waiting.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.