C59 in colour scheme LOUD

Mccaria
Mccaria Posts: 869
edited October 2013 in Your road bikes
942397c7-dc71-48cc-b111-039a36b4a650_zps5b448222.jpg

Most of my builds tend to be black, or at least majority black. However when Colnago brought out the Mapei C59 for 2014 it was my have to have frame. I have bought white cables and a white saddle for the first time in a long time.

Comments

• Do like this but hate the font
  • nchappy
    nchappy Posts: 29
    Stunning :mrgreen:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Love the mapei colour scheme but WTF have they done with the font :(

Gutted :(
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Is that really a 100%, ceritified, bonafide, OEM, made in Italy, not-outsourced, Ernesto endorsed, factory original paint job?

Looks like a 50 shades of grey Belgiam sources Mick special to me. It's just not that nicely executed.

The blue is too dark (or to be fair in the pic it's too dark) and the font is fugly. Looks like it should read 'Viking'.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • napoleond
    Is that really a 100%, ceritified, bonafide, OEM, made in Italy, not-outsourced, Ernesto endorsed, factory original paint job?

Looks like a 50 shades of grey Belgiam sources Mick special to me. It's just not that nicely executed.

The blue is too dark (or to be fair in the pic it's too dark) and the font is fugly. Looks like it should read 'Viking'.

It's a factory option
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mccaria
    Photo is not the best, the blue is actually quite rich in the flesh. Came in a Windwave box and with Colnago receipt - it's pukka. Tend to agree on the font - I didn't really focus on it until reading the comments ! Will look better once I have a full Shimano groupset on it :wink:
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Mccaria wrote:
    Photo is not the best, the blue is actually quite rich in the flesh. Came in a Windwave box and with Colnago receipt - it's pukka. Tend to agree on the font - I didn't really focus on it until reading the comments ! Will look better once I have a full Shimano groupset on it :wink:

Flame the troll!
  • Mccaria
    Sorry Pete, too late to change my view of Shimano on Colnago. Remember Mapei rode Shimano !
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Personally I would never have bought this frame as the original Mapei had Shim... On them, I wouldn't want to devalue my stable with something like that :shock: :roll:

Good luck and enjoy, but I'd get out an old paintbrush and colour it in :mrgreen:
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I absolutely love it, font and all! It's well cool like a 70's Dodge Charger! Get it Shimano'd up.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Mccaria
    Well on my way to devaluing any Colnago I see !

image_zps7a4d6b36.jpg
    image_zpsb7919f07.jpg
  • flintlock
    flintlock Posts: 105
    Saw the mapei at the cycle show and it looked stunning built up.

And yes the two above are virtually worthless.
  • I'm a Shimano chap and I have to say a Colnago with it on just looks totally wrong! At least change the chainset, that would help s**t loads.
  • napoleond
    Colnago + 7700 / 7800 = win.
    Colnago + 7900 / 9000 = vomit.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Mccaria wrote:
    Well on my way to devaluing any Colnago I see !

image_zps7a4d6b36.jpg
    image_zpsb7919f07.jpg

I love the frame and colour very nice,but it is campag for me :D
    20121230_120517_zpsf5e2dc18.jpg
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Mccaria
    Hey Markyone, have followed your C59 builds with interest over previous months.

I have never been tempted by Campagnolo for 2 reasons, one practical and one aesthetic. On the practical side all my bikes are built with Shimano and I have all the tools and wheelsets compatible to that. Introducing Campagnolo would require a lot of additional expenditure and having 2 sets of tools doesn't appeal.

On the aesthetics, I just don't like the look of the carbon fibre chainset - which is not necessarily rational when I have bikes with carbon fibre frames, seatpost, stem and bars, but then it would be pretty boring if everybody built their bikes up in the same way.

NapD - you forgot 7090 in your vomit analysis, so this piccie is for you :wink:

image_zpsfeba0330.jpg
  • markyone
    Mccaria wrote:

I have never been tempted by Campagnolo for 2 reasons, one practical and one aesthetic. On the practical side all my bikes are built with Shimano and I have all the tools and wheelsets compatible to that. Introducing Campagnolo would require a lot of additional expenditure and having 2 sets of tools doesn't appeal.

On the aesthetics, I just don't like the look of the carbon fibre chainset - which is not necessarily rational when I have bikes with carbon fibre frames, seatpost, stem and bars, but then it would be pretty boring if everybody built their bikes up in the same way.

image_zpsfeba0330.jpg

Really like the frameset very very nice, when I change mine I will go for that colour or the ltd edition.
    Enjoy and hurry up and get it built up.
  • napoleond
    Mccaria wrote:

image_zpsfeba0330.jpg

Oh my, it even has the least elegant stem of all time and the matching penis ended bars!

To be fair I don't think photos have ever done 7900 justice. It looks great in the flesh.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mccaria wrote:
    942397c7-dc71-48cc-b111-039a36b4a650_zps5b448222.jpg

Most of my builds tend to be black, or at least majority black. However when Colnago brought out the Mapei C59 for 2014 it was my have to have frame. I have bought white cables and a white saddle for the first time in a long time.

someone has nicked your wheels...
  • Mccaria
    I put some wheels on and it still doesn't go.....

Work in progress. Found out I am missing a couple of things (anyone suggesting a Campagnolo groupset, I will not be amused) to finish the build, back to Wiggle

image_zps66e741d1.jpg
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    That's looking a lot better with the blue in outdoor light.

you ride a pretty big frame, is that a 56 sloper (60 trad)? I ride a 54s but the seat tube on that looks long.

Is the stem a Syntace? It's plain blackness is very handsome.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • napoleond
    It's a deda superleggera. I love the low stack height...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mccaria
    It's a Deda Superleggera. Spot on it's a 56S with a 13cm stem. Seatpost is too high, but I don't want to lower it until I am ready to do final adjustments.

Two interesting things. The 2014 frame now works for mechanical or electronic, it's no longer a choice, quite a major change and certainly not apparent in pre-marketing. Second the headset is the same style as the Canyon with no carbon bung, which is a very tidy arrangement, however I am not sure if you can run this with spacers above the stem - so you need to be pretty sure of the bar position or run with too many spacers beneath the stem until you are.
  • napoleond
    Like with 7900. I've never seen a photo do a Colnago paint job justice.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Mccaria
    Come on NapD, come over to the dark side, allow your spirit to be lulled by the smooth gear changes and the Zen like comfort of the 9000 hoods.

I thought you'd at least appreciate the chainset that is still based on the 7800 model, which I don't think triggered your gag reflex
  • napoleond
    Been there with shimano (and SRAM) but I'm a proper Campag fanboy now!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Yep and you could hardly see me riding with Shim or Shame with my tat on my left leg: -

cantgoslo_tat_sml.jpg
  • Mccaria
    Velonutter

That's brilliant, slightly surreal for a Sunday morning, but made me chuckle.

Why don't you have shimano tattooed on your other thigh ? Then it would be the thigh equivalent of the old "love" and "hate" knuckles !
  • markyone
    Velonutter wrote:
    Yep and you could hardly see me riding with Shim or Shame with my tat on my left leg: -

cantgoslo_tat_sml.jpg
    nice one john,made me chuckle as well :lol:
  • markyone
    mccaria whats the bars you have fitted?
    I have that same stem and just fitted the deda bars.