What Road Bike?

Comments

• £1000ish budget with the C2W scheme. I've been looking for weeks and weeks and weeks! Had finally settled on the Planet X pro carbon Ultrega £1000 (or £1100 on C2W as planet x charge you an extra 10% for using C2W), and was even planning a test ride tomorrow (300 mile round trip to Sheffield)! Then my local bike shop reduced the Focus Cayo Evo 6.0 from £1375 to £1100. They also charge £100 for the pleasure of using C2W (gits!) but this has totally swayed my decision!

£1200 for a top rated frame, with internal cable routing and some decent starter kit. Gives me plenty of room to upgrade in the future which lets face it is half of the hobby! Picking it up tomorrow, simiply can not wait! (expecting very little sleep tonight)
  • cavey76
    cavey76 Posts: 16
    kev...in an almost idnetical position. I was looking at the Basso's on Wiggle but through the general noise created by myself and some colleagues contacting Wiggle they seemed to up the prices across the remaining Basso's by circa £130. Had settled on a Planet X Pro Carbon then noted that my LBS would do a price match and that Cube Agree GTC pro's were down to £1150 in several places i tried my arm on a price match...price match agreed woohoo! So here you go LBS i have a voucher.

~quick reverse ferret by LBS~

ah but we don't accept vouchers for price matches.

Oh how i wish my employer did the direct payment for C2W rather than the voucher.
  • vineland
    vineland Posts: 13
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from a great old 1980's road bike that has got me seriously into the sport. I have a budget ceiling of $1500(CDN), and am trying to figure out the best bang for my buck. It seems like an awkward time to look though as there are deals on some 2013s.. though not many sizes left.. and while some companies have put out their 2014s, a lot are yet to come.

I test rode a 2014 Felt 75 this morning after a quick fitting by my lbs. I really liked the aggressive positioning, as it is very similar to my old bike in comparison to something like a Cannondale Synapse.

I feel, based on the other companies' 2013 specs, the '14 Felt 75 is great value for money (full shimano 105, carbon fork & seat post).. but it's hard to tell before the other brands put out their specs for next year.
    http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2014/Bi ... e/f75.aspx

My biggest concern with the Felt is that it's fitted with a Shimano 11-25T 9-speed cassette. I live in Alberta, and plan on longer rides with mountainous climbs. Will this cassette dramatically hold me back?

The other bikes I'm considering are the Scott 20, or Specialized Allez (though the gruppo doesn't seem as good on the Allez?). CAAD 8 would be in the running, but my local Cannondale dealer doesn't seem to stock anything between a Synapse and CAAD 10!

Anyway, tldr; will a 9-speed cassette be cumbersome on rides with larger climbs?
  • So picked up my Focus Cayo Evo 6.0 from the LBS yesterday morning. I'm 6ft and after a bit of fiddling around we worked out that I could ride the medium or the large frames just with adjusting the stem length and incline/decline. I went with the large as I felt slightly more comfortable on that.

Took it out for my first ride this morning and love it! Took it straight to the nearest hill that reaches 18% at its steepest and well . . . I got up it . . . but not without considerable pain! Moving from a bottom gear ratio of 0.8 to 1.2 is going to take some getting used too!

But otherwise it was great! Did my sunday morning 20mile loop and the first 10 miles breezed by, I was flying! Was sure I was on for my best ever time! Then turned for home and realised I'd had a substantial tail wind :oops: So followed a 10mile slog into a headwind (new bikes don't solve this problem apparently). Still managed my fastest ever time 1 hour 15mins (avg speed 16.3) compared to my normal 1 hour 20-24 (14.5-15mph).

Happy Happy Happy! Although have spent far more than my £1200 budget, as have now ordered my peddles, shoes, bottle cages, new spare tubes (hybrid 1s wont fit), CO2 canisters for punctures. Next on the list is a new saddle! As today wasn't the most comfortable then new tyres shall follow!
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    vineland wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm looking to upgrade from a great old 1980's road bike that has got me seriously into the sport. I have a budget ceiling of $1500(CDN), and am trying to figure out the best bang for my buck. It seems like an awkward time to look though as there are deals on some 2013s.. though not many sizes left.. and while some companies have put out their 2014s, a lot are yet to come.

I test rode a 2014 Felt 75 this morning after a quick fitting by my lbs. I really liked the aggressive positioning, as it is very similar to my old bike in comparison to something like a Cannondale Synapse.

I feel, based on the other companies' 2013 specs, the '14 Felt 75 is great value for money (full shimano 105, carbon fork & seat post).. but it's hard to tell before the other brands put out their specs for next year.

My biggest concern with the Felt is that it's fitted with a Shimano 11-25T 9-speed cassette. I live in Alberta, and plan on longer rides with mountainous climbs. Will this cassette dramatically hold me back?

The other bikes I'm considering are the Scott 20, or Specialized Allez (though the gruppo doesn't seem as good on the Allez?). CAAD 8 would be in the running, but my local Cannondale dealer doesn't seem to stock anything between a Synapse and CAAD 10!

Anyway, tldr; will a 9-speed cassette be cumbersome on rides with larger climbs?

It's actually 10 speed cassette, but that's not too important.

If you mean will it be heavy, then no, not at all.
    If you mean will you have a decent low gear to get up hills, then that depends on your legs. 34/25 is quite low, but you'll be able to fit a 12-28 cassette if you need lower gears. You may even manage to get a 12-30 on there, but that'll depend on your rear mech capacity.
  • Gozzy wrote:
    vineland wrote:
    Hi all,

It's actually 10 speed cassette, but that's not too important.

If you mean will it be heavy, then no, not at all.
    If you mean will you have a decent low gear to get up hills, then that depends on your legs. 34/25 is quite low, but you'll be able to fit a 12-28 cassette if you need lower gears. You may even manage to get a 12-30 on there, but that'll depend on your rear mech capacity.
    Thanks!
    I'm new to bike specs and misunderstood what 11-25 meant in comparison to 11-28.. thankfully you cut-through my naivety and were able to answer my concerns - I appreciate it.
  • First road bike, and need a helping hand please!

Budget of a little over 1k and have settled on a final three showdown.

The Boardman Road Team Carbon, Planet X Carbon Ultegra and the Ribble R872 with Shimano 105.

Price wise they're all about the same with the exception of the Planet X which is about £200 less so quality and component wise, which would you go for?

Looks wise... Leaning towards the Ribble as it's a right beauty!
  • 29Black wrote:
    First road bike, and need a helping hand please!

The Boardman Road Team Carbon, Planet X Carbon Ultegra and the Ribble R872 with Shimano 105.

Price wise they're all about the same with the exception of the Planet X which is about £200 less so quality and component wise, which would you go for?

Ribble 872 for me. Best bang for buck of those 3. The PX is good but an old frame now and you don't get a full group set. only mechs/shifters. Boardman's are good but dull. Biased as I have an 872 with full 105 on its way so make of that what you will. The PX Pro Carbon and RT58 were on my short list.
  • MalM
    MalM Posts: 1
    vineland wrote:
    Hi all,

Have you thought about the next model on? This website has the Felt F85 for under $900 USD (www.cyclingexpress.com). It does come with Tiagra, but that is a better match with the aluminum frame if you ask me
  • Having my Giant Defy 2 delivered tomorrow :lol: should make a nice change up from the carrera zelos i have been riding.To be fair the zelos has been great, it's taken me to a couple of top tens on strava, but not great really for anything over 30 miles.

I am looking forward to the defy's maiden voyage on a 60 miler i have planned this weekend, i hope all the hype about them is for real.
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    I pick up my Giant TCR SL2 on Friday. First brand new bike I've bought for over 30 years.

Saw the review in Cycling Plus, liked what they said, loved the look of the bike. Popped into my LBS and what do you know they had one in stock. They look better in the flesh, well aluminium than, on the printed page. Not my size, but they ordered one. Down from £1,249 to £999 as it's a 2013 model and is not in the Giant catalogue for 2014. Could've got it for a little less on line, but I like to support my LBS.

Can't wait, got next week off, so I'm hoping to put a good few miles in on it.

It's replacing a Ribble Winter Trainer so I hope I'll notice a bit of a difference in the ride.

Yours, praying for nice weather, Z.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    29Black wrote:

Have you thought about one of the Canyon AL range? I have both Canyon AL and the Ribble. I much prefer the Canyon. Better kit, better ride, just as light, probably more durable - it certainly is holding up better to knocks, scrapes and chips.
  • Hi, i am new in the forum and i am new in the bike world as well but I want to catch up and i bought bike today ! But once i returned home with my new toy i started worrying if it was good choice. the biggest problem is the size of the bike - i think it is to big - so could you advice me on that - i bought cannon dale CAADX size 48 - and i am a woman with 162 cm hight and 58 kg weight. In the shop they said it is the smallest cannondale CAADX i can have but it is not try i saw on line that there is 44 size as well. So i need to know if i should not come back tomorrow and insist on cetting smaller size. Thank you for all advice.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    maguz wrote:
    Hi, i am new in the forum and i am new in the bike world as well but I want to catch up and i bought bike today ! But once i returned home with my new toy i started worrying if it was good choice. the biggest problem is the size of the bike - i think it is to big - so could you advice me on that - i bought cannon dale CAADX size 48 - and i am a woman with 162 cm hight and 58 kg weight. In the shop they said it is the smallest cannondale CAADX i can have but it is not try i saw on line that there is 44 size as well. So i need to know if i should not come back tomorrow and insist on cetting smaller size. Thank you for all advice.

If you feel it is too big then by all means go back to the shop and discuss it. According to the Cannondale web site the smaller size one has a top tube 10mm shorter and reach is shorter by 5mm with a stand over height lower by just over 20 mm which is not a massive difference.
  • I'm looking for my second road bike, having bought a Carrera Zelos (I know, I know, I went in at the bottom end to see if I liked cycling) for £269.99 at Christmas last year. I'm thinking now I may be able to get a bargain as everyone reduces their prices of the 2013 bikes, so have done a bit of research and come up with a couple of options:

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBS ... matt_black

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/YBC ... _guru_blue

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/cube-agree- ... sting=true

I love the Cube and have found it elsewhere for £999.00 so am waiting to see if CS will pricematch for me. However, I'm tempted by the Ultegras on the Planet X. Saying that, Aksiums on the Cube are better than the S10s on the PX. Could do with some advice! Anyone else have any suggestions for a good road bike around £1000.00, preferably carbon frame?
  • diamonddog
    Dolan Etape?
  • diamonddog
    Dolan Etape or Ribble build.
  • I've had my Canyon Ultimate AL Di2 for 9 months now and I love it especially I bought it for around £1650 in the Canyon sale. Their bikes always look good value (as do B'twin, although I'm not sure how good they actually are!) on this Road Bike Guide: http://www.roadbikeguide.co.uk/
    I've decided my next bike might be a Trek Domane, which I'll buy from a proper shop after a proper fitting however.
    Getting slower as I get older, but getting faster the more I cycle.
  • jdmotion wrote:
    I've had my Canyon Ultimate AL Di2 for 9 months now and I love it especially I bought it for around £1650 in the Canyon sale. Their bikes always look good value (as do B'twin, although I'm not sure how good they actually are!) on this Road Bike Guide: http://www.roadbikeguide.co.uk/
    I've decided my next bike might be a Trek Domane, which I'll buy from a proper shop after a proper fitting however.

Why a madone and not another Canyon? I'm about to pull the trigger on the Canyon website but have seriously considered a madone. Is it just the fitting?
  • I love the Canyon. It was the Domane I was looking at for my next bike (in a year or so) because of the more relaxed geometry. The Canyon's are very racy, but I'm 57 and just beginning to need a more upright position. But the Canyons look good value on the Road Bike Guide http://www.roadbikeguide.co.uk/ - you get more bang for your buck. If I do go down the Domane route I'll have to wait for the sales and hope they have the right sized model. Also, My Ultimate AL has Ultegra Di2 and I'm a big fanof electronic shifting.
    Getting slower as I get older, but getting faster the more I cycle.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    29Black wrote:

Ribble 872 for me. Best bang for buck of those 3. The PX is good but an old frame now and you don't get a full group set. only mechs/shifters. Boardman's are good but dull. Biased as I have an 872 with full 105 on its way so make of that what you will. The PX Pro Carbon and RT58 were on my short list.

Interesting. Facing a similar dilemna and Ribble looks the better bike. As you say, it would appear to a right beauty and judging by the photos on the "your bikes" forum clearly an object suitable for serious upgrading.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    The Ribble sure is a good looker - and spec it to choice is a big plus IMO.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    2.5k to spend, bike including race worthy wheels so if it comes with cheap wheels call it 2k, campag equipped preferred (could be swayed by 2013 Dura Ace but think it's out of my price) Top tube ~58cm head tube ~19cm (ie not super low but not modern sportive geometry).

What would people go for?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • meagain
    I know little about the quality or "value", but this is very pretty! And 2 and a 1/2 in readies would surely buy it!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Lapierre ... NA:GB:3160

And no not mine and no connection!
    d.j.
  • I would like to buy a Bianchi Sempre Pro, mod 2014. Equipped with Ultegra11V, wheels: Fulcrum racing 7
    http://www.bianchi.com/uk/bikes/bikes_detail.aspx?ProductIDMaster=134821.
    I'm 5'10" Inseam 32'.6
    I have a doubt for sizing, I prefer 57 size with an effectiveTop tube lenght: 560mm, but the dealer advice me a 55 size ( with eTT 550mm)
    I'm 49 years old and I don't want a "too racing" position
    Any advice? Many Thanks in advance

Here's the link to complete: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/bianchi-sempre-pro-frame geometry size
  • meagain
    Only you can tell - by trying them both! FWIW, at just a little shorter than you, with almost exactly the same inside leg, but a fair number of years older, I find top tubes longer than 54 too stretched out. My advice/guess would (unusually!) match the dealer's!
    d.j.
  • I've bought ( second hand market ) a Specialized Tarmac Sl2, size 54 but is too short for me, I don't feel well , now this is my son bike. I think size 56 will be good for me, and Specy 56 likes Bianchi 57 ( I hope), unfoutunately the dealer don't have a bike for an exam.
  • Cryki
    Cryki Posts: 19
    Views on this?

Cube Peloton Race Compact 2014

http://www.cyclesuk.com/10493985/produc ... d-red.aspx
  • meagain
    It looks pretty, but for a grand I can't see why anyone would look further than Planet X!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike
    d.j.
  • Cryki
    Cryki Posts: 19
    meagain wrote:
    It looks pretty, but for a grand I can't see why anyone would look further than Planet X!

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _road_bike

because my c2w voucher does not cover that store, only halfords and their partners.