Disc Cable Confusion

SXJ
SXJ Posts: 17
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Hi I'm slowly building up a Lynskey Cooper CX for daily commute / winter ride. Daily commute includes 5 mile stretch on muddy / gravel path which is why I'm building this bike and posting here.

The bike has drops and Shimano Ultegra levers. I plan to install mechanical BB7 discs (but considering the TRP HY/RD). After reading some articles I'm confused regarding cable / cable housing. Can I use the standard Shimano road racing cable kit for the brakes? Or do I need (or would I benefit from) avid flak jackets or similar that is advised for mechancial discs?

Thanks

Comments

• springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    I'm not aware of any differences in the cables - the advice for using what you mention will be so that they last a little longer (and don't seize up from the rain/mud)

I've used these in the past on the MTB:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/good ... -prod22237

I would guess the Avid Flak Jackets are very similar (just designed to keep the mud/water off the inner of the cable)

Don't know the Lynskey Cooper CX - but on my CX the exposed inner sections of the cable are actually internal to the frame (so the above issue is fixed in the frame design), so the above kits wouldn't made a huge amount of difference.
    Simon
  • actually, said cables do make a huge difference in mechanical disc brakes. Compressionless cablehousing really do increase the ability to modulate the braking force and make up for a much nicer brake feel because of reduced friction. The aspect of durability is definitely also a plus regarding the all purpose winter use of your bike.

(I've been using Gore ride-on full sealed cables on my road bike and jagwire ripcord on mtb)
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    +1 using "compressionless" brake cable outer makes a significant difference. I have both BB7's and the TRP HYRD the later is. at least to my mind far superior. I bought my outer "off the roll" from Chainreaction.
  • SXJ
    SXJ Posts: 17
    The below quote is from Sheldon Brown. Most compressionless cable is offered for Brakes and gears, so is the below wrong?.

"Warning: Since compressionless housing relies on plastic to hold it together, it is not as strong as conventional spiral housing, and should never be used for brakes! The loads applied to brake cables can easily cause compressionless housing to rupture and burst, causing a complete and sudden loss of brake function."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    SXJ wrote:
    The below quote is from Sheldon Brown. Most compressionless cable is offered for Brakes and gears, so is the below wrong?.

"Warning: Since compressionless housing relies on plastic to hold it together, it is not as strong as conventional spiral housing, and should never be used for brakes! The loads applied to brake cables can easily cause compressionless housing to rupture and burst, causing a complete and sudden loss of brake function."
    nothing wrong there.

the others are talking about compressionless brake cable

gear outer should never ever be used for brakes.

some makers provide the same for both but it is basically brake cable.

but back to your question just get suitable lengths of stainless inner and outers shimano works well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME the Goodyear brake outers are good - quite stiff which is exactly what you want for brakes. My mate has just fitted some TRP hybrid discs and reckons they're a huge improvement over BB7s - the dual piston design means you don't get any slight rub for a start.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    From experience compression-less brake housing makes all mechanically actuated disks brakes feel much better. Also, get the HY/RD brakes, they're in a different league. If they're too expensive then go for TRP Spyre over BB7 as both pads move when the brake is applied, rather than just one pad.
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    +1 the Goodyear outer with the TRP HYRD combination is what l run on my Fugio superb feel modulation and performance and the TRP's are soooo simple to set up.