nothing fancy my first bike in years

swod1
swod1 Posts: 1,639
edited October 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Hello newbie here,

Got back into mountain biking may last year after not having been on a bike for over 10 years

Nothing too fancy to start with so i have a trek 4500.

Pretty standard apart from the dmr v8 flat pedals, fsa riser handlebars and tyres which is xr4 front 2.2 and groundcontrol s-works rear.

034bc.jpg

The front end is a little heavy so wondering whether to replace later with some recon gold 100mm air shocks ?

how do you like the mud on it from last weeks outing on local tracks :mrgreen:

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I started back with a Trek 4500 and it served me really well. I put Rebas on and they really made a huge difference. I since changed everything else on it (including the frame).

Have fun with that, I know I did with mine.
  • swod1
    Yeah I've looked at rebas they are about 300 online and being 1500g will make a big difference.

I was also looking at getting some superstar wheels with the superleggara hubs, keeping the original wheels for road riding.
  • SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    hey nice bike and at least you got it dirty thats the main thing
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • I went from the 2.6kg Suntours to 1700g Reba Teams and the difference is HUGE. Transformed my bike in terms of weight, handling and feel. Definately the most significant improvement over all the other upgrades that I have made
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    swod1 wrote:
    Yeah I've looked at rebas they are about 300 online and being 1500g will make a big difference.

I got mine for about £230, they do come up for this price at times. They made such a massive difference, not just the weight saving but the performance of them is superb.
    swod1 wrote:
    I was also looking at getting some superstar wheels with the superleggara hubs, keeping the original wheels for road riding.

I got flows on switch hubs (I'm a big unit, so flows made more sense) and they are also superb. I just flogged my old wheels.
  • swod1
    mcnultycop wrote:
    I got mine for about £230, they do come up for this price at times. They made such a massive difference, not just the weight saving but the performance of them is superb.

I got flows on switch hubs (I'm a big unit, so flows made more sense) and they are also superb. I just flogged my old wheels.

yeah, I'm hoping I will see a massive improvement to the front end because its a good bike just weighed down with average bits for the price I paid.

Wheels wise I'm too not a skinny lad so would want them to be strong enough
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    hey nice bike and at least you got it dirty thats the main thing

Yeah, it's not dirty anymore had to clean it up as I keep it in house. Definitely will run mud tyres next winter as the current ones will grip in mud but pack up too easily.
  • swod1
    recently bought some rebas for bike and just received shock pump in post today, the weight of the new forks just holding them is ridculous they are so light.

Also broke the rear wheel so had a new one made up with a mavic rim en521 which doesnt seem heavy at all on a shimano xt hub with new disc rotor and a shiny slx cassette.

lost the cassette lock nut tool so i cant test out the wheel until the new one arrives

Is it worth putting some grease on the thread of the cassette lock nut before i tighten it up ?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No grease needed.....although with the locking 'notches' they don't come loose either.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cant go wrong with that bike for a starter bike, few upgrades and it will be spot on.
  • swod1
    edited August 2013
    cant go wrong with that bike for a starter bike, few upgrades and it will be spot on.

yeah, it will as i'm planning on getting a full suss bike at some point too.

I've already got some rockshox rebas on the bike, the front chainrings are getting worn though and i'm thinking a 2x10 xt upgrade later with xt shadow+ rear mech.

Bike as it is at the moment with the rebas, thanks to the northern monkey on the forum who i bought them from.

rwg1.jpg
  • swod1 wrote:
    cant go wrong with that bike for a starter bike, few upgrades and it will be spot on.

yeah, it will as i'm planning on getting a full suss bike at some point too.

I've already got some rockshox rebas on the bike, the front chainrings are getting worn though and i'm thinking a 2x10 xt upgrade later with xt shadow+ rear mech.

Bike as it is at the moment with the rebas, thanks to the northern monkey on the forum who i bought them from.

rwg1.jpg

cant beat a decent set of forks prob the best upgrade you can make on a lower spec bike, ive got shitty suntours and am looking at replacing them sooner rather then later
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    I luv my Trek mtb as well.. :)
  • swod1
    i've been looking at other upgrades for the bike recently.

With using my bike to get to work n back a lot and at weekends, i've worn out the front rings and chain, so replaced these with a cheap m590 deore chainset, first improvement is the hollowtech 2 bottom bracket much better.

Thinking of getting a xt shadow + rear mech and shifters for a move over to 10spd with a 11-36 rear cassette early next year, a worth while upgrade or not ?

I've already fitted some 100mm reba forks.