QR Skewers

Gunnsie
Gunnsie Posts: 171
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi All,

Has anyone bought a set of these ebay hobbies, if so, how do you rate them? Anyone have any alternatives they could recommend at a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/J-L-Ti-Titani ... 3f26860d28

Cheers!

Chris

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shimano or Campagnolo internal cam skewers (or other brand of internal rather than external if such exists). Nothing else needs to be bought.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Gunnsie
    The Shimano ones are quite heavy... was looking to get lighter ones.

Do you have a link to them?
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have a spare pair of KCNC versions of what you are looking at.

To you sir £5 plus P&P
  • Gunnsie
    Hi Izza,

What colour are they? Do you rate the KCNC versions? Thanks so much!
  • rolf_f
    Gunnsie wrote:
    The Shimano ones are quite heavy... was looking to get lighter ones.

Probably one of the last places to look for weight savings. Not sure how much of a risk it really is but here is where I have no interest in saving grams. Internal cam skewers for me every day. I'll drill holes in the frame for weight saving before I change the skewers!

http://sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rolf F wrote:
    Shimano or Campagnolo internal cam skewers (or other brand of internal rather than external if such exists). Nothing else needs to be bought.

What he said. Shimano Deore are good VFM and work well.
  • Gunnsie wrote:
    Anyone have any alternatives they could recommend at a reasonable price?

These....

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQR/planet_x_ti_stick_quick_release_with_carbon_levers
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Rolf F wrote:
    I'll drill holes in the frame for weight saving before I change the skewers!

I view it differently in that I would fit lightweight Ti skewers before I started drilling holes in the frame.
    :D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Make sure you avoid those planet x skewers

I bought a pair. Then found after 6 months use. the plastic piece behind the cam disintegrates and falls apart. Rendering them useless. I wouldn't have touched them if i had known. Luckily they didn't come loose while riding.

Not sure if the J&L skewers use plastic or metal. Can anyone confirm ?

Ideally you want the piece to be made of brass.

more info here
    http://handsonbike.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... ad-qr.html
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

I view it differently in that I would fit lightweight Ti skewers before I started drilling holes in the frame.

I just had a great idea - why not do both! :lol:
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

I just had a great idea - why not do both! :lol:

Remember to always ask your parents permission first though :lol:
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    Can anyone recommend skewers that wont bite to hard into the carbon dropouts.
    i think serrated is overkill and butchered my last frame

Matt
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'm a fan of the planet x brand but as mentioned above those skewers are rubbish. I bent one the other day and never had much faith in them.

I bought these from planet x 2 weeks ago and really like them, http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSC ... ase_skewer not the lightest but the mechanism and double lever system really works well.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They look like the solution to a problem I don't have. I'm happy with the stock internal cam Shimano QRs
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I had the PX Ti ones (assume they are same as the budget Ebay types) and they managed to rattle themselves loose a few times. Fair enough once, you can put that down to lack of maintenance on my part, but when it came to the time I was getting so paranoid about it I was checking them before very ride I decided to get rid.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    It's been said many times before - from Sheldon Brown to Angry Asian more recently on Bike Radar - external cam QR skewers with plastic or rubber washers are an inferior cheap-to-make design that do not hold wheels securely in place. But riders impressed by fancy colours, tiny weight savings and heavy marketing go on buying them.

Get proper internal cam metal QR skewers from Shimano or Campag. The minuscule weight difference at the centre of the wheel is not an issue and you wouldn't notice it. The potential damage to you and your bike if your wheel comes loose at high speed is definitely an issue.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Rolf F wrote:

^ the truth
  • I've had the Planet X ones on my road bike since late April and having done around 1500 miles have had no issues with them.
  • You can buy light skewers like those and most likely never have a problem...

BUT remember if you have a problem with your QR, you might not live to tell... :shock:

so on balance is it worth saving 50 grams on skewers? You are the one to judge
    Shimano ones are the best and will never let you down
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Can't say I have had any problems with my Planet X lightweight skewers, probably covered 5,000 miles to date. I also have cheapo eBay ones on my commuter which have covered more like 10,000 miles, again without any problems. Only real benefit to the closed cam ones is if you are using a turbo trainer as far as I can tell, but I guess people have "issues" with these things.
  • BigMat wrote:
    Can't say I have had any problems with my Planet X lightweight skewers, probably covered 5,000 miles to date. I also have cheapo eBay ones on my commuter which have covered more like 10,000 miles, again without any problems. Only real benefit to the closed cam ones is if you are using a turbo trainer as far as I can tell, but I guess people have "issues" with these things.

...and you are not exactly the king of maintenance either... :wink:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    BigMat wrote:

...and you are not exactly the king of maintenance either... :wink:

This is true - I would love to have the time and space to keep my bike in tip top order, but the reality is they get stuffed in the shed at the end of a ride and any urgent repairs tend to get done at around quarter to midnight the night before a race. Its not ideal!
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    I'm using the planet x lightweight skewers one one set of wheels, mavic's own skewers on my kysriums and fulcrum's on my racing 1's. I think the fulcrum are an internal cam design but having read up on the skewers, I want to change the planet x ones and possibly the mavic's as I really don't fancy them failing having had a recent bad fall (nothing to do with skewers!)

Will the Shimano deore fit the road bike or are they mountain bike only? Is there a road going equivalent without spending dura ace money or can anyone link me to good value ones?

Thanks
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Shimano Deore fit road bikes fine, there will be about 5mm of QR axle sticking out of the end of the nut on the rear though. You can chop this off with a hacksaw if you want.
  • 34 grams here
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    styxd wrote:
    Shimano Deore fit road bikes fine, there will be about 5mm of QR axle sticking out of the end of the nut on the rear though. You can chop this off with a hacksaw if you want.

I prefer not to have to have the bar sticking out through the end. If there an alternative road version at sensible money? I spotted these on Amazon but they look at bit industrial to even the the Deore version, they also seem too cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Wheel-S ... B0036V09XI
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I'm a fan of the planet x brand but as mentioned above those skewers are rubbish. I bent one the other day and never had much faith in them.

I bought these from planet x 2 weeks ago and really like them, http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WSC ... ase_skewer not the lightest but the mechanism and double lever system really works well.

I have a spare pair of the crank brothers version as well.

To you sir £5 plus P&P
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    styxd wrote:

I prefer not to have to have the bar sticking out through the end. If there an alternative road version at sensible money? I spotted these on Amazon but they look at bit industrial to even the the Deore version, they also seem too cheap.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-Wheel-S ... B0036V09XI

Take a hacksaw with high number of teeth per inch and shorten it a few mm... it's not exactly a big job
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    Mercia Man wrote:
    Get proper internal cam metal QR skewers from Shimano or Campag. The minuscule weight difference at the centre of the wheel is not an issue and you wouldn't notice it. The potential damage to you and your bike if your wheel comes loose at high speed is definitely an issue.

I keep reading this about external cam skewers but in all my riding, on-road, off-road, over 25 years, the only skewers I've ever had a problem with were deore LX internal cam skewers; kept coming undone, took 'em off after one ride and went back to the set of externals I had before and no problems since. I've probably still got the deores kicking around somewhere.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • blinddrew wrote:
    Mercia Man wrote:

I keep reading this about external cam skewers but in all my riding, on-road, off-road, over 25 years, the only skewers I've ever had a problem with were deore LX internal cam skewers; kept coming undone, took 'em off after one ride and went back to the set of externals I had before and no problems since. I've probably still got the deores kicking around somewhere.

If you have ridden 25 years, I am sure at the time you did have internal can skewers, as they are the only ones that work with horizontal or diagonal dropouts as they were used at the time. Vertical dropouts only hit the market in the 90s.
    Vertical dropouts are normally happy with external cam, that doesn't mean that any external cam on the market is good... in fact many are sxit, just you won't find out until you find out