Which Single Speed?

willcoop
willcoop Posts: 12
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a new single speed for my daily commute.

I know there are lots of arguments against single speeds but for what I need it for it seems to suit.

I am looking to spend up to £700 on a new bike but preferrably lower. Any suggestions on what to go for?

My commute is 10km and mainly on the road though does take in a few paths.

The main contenders at the moment are the Charge Plug, Specialized Langster and Genesis Flyer...

Any advice would be welcome! Thanks...

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Dolan FXE
  • RLyons
    RLyons Posts: 67
    I have a Genesis Day One and it's great fun, quick enough and tough for the city commute! I got mine second hand for £120 but a new one can be had for £500-700.

My friend has a Charge Plug, which is a good alternative.
  • Are you near London?

Pearson NowYouSeeMe and Once More Unto The Breach are worth a look although you pay a bit more for the 'heritage'.
  • I'm in Manchester but thanks!
  • Gb_Rae
    Gb_Rae Posts: 42
    You could get a Specialized Langster for £500. Would like one of these myself!! :(
  • Thanks people...there are so many choices I don't know what to do!

I've just seen the Genesis Day One Disc now too... it looks really versatile. Any ideas whether this would be a good choice for a commuter?
  • Being as versatile as it is, the Genesis Day One Disc is worth serious consideration, but ask yourself if disc brakes are entirely necessary for your commute? Have you seen the Bianchi Pista? A classic looking build and you don't see many about, I love mine, but the only drawback is it doesn't have bottle cage mounts. Again though, if it is only commuting you'll be using it for, these are necessary.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd get something that takes proper guards first then maybe consider discs.

The pearson once more unto looks good or the On One options.

Then again I ride a Trek T1 with track geo, use Crud mkii guards and an adapter to hold a bottle cage. It's a harsh ride but fast, sharpe and responsive.
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    its pretty easy to build one really cheaply and if you choose a frame thats a little 'knackered looking' then you reduce the appeal to thieves considerably.

If you're commute is only 10km then you dont need a new bike. I built mine for about £130 and its been briliant - using an old Raleigh 531 frame :D
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Proper mud gurards....
    Now if my langster from 2011 had clearance......would still be here.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I stripped the BB threads on my old Raleigh SS a couple of months back and went bike shopping; quite liked the looks of the Langster but no guard mounts. I ended up getting a cycle to work voucher for the Jamis @ Evans (£450) but then ripped it up and spent £40 on a self threading bottom bracket and a new crank. My Raleigh lives to ride another day!

I suppose the moral of the story is ...uuummm... I like my old bike it's got something personal about it. £lots of cash for a single speed to do 20k a day seems alot.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Looks wise have you seen the wilier singles? Not sure what they ride like, but look fantastic
  • tlw1
    matthew h wrote:
    Looks wise have you seen the wilier singles? Not sure what they ride like, but look fantastic

Re: fixed wheel - does anyone do a significant commute on theirs? As circa once a week I try to cycle in and it's 35 miles each way
  • iPete
    40 miles each way, usually 5 days a week in winter when I want to keep the roadie clean.
  • Bigpikle wrote:
    its pretty easy to build one really cheaply and if you choose a frame thats a little 'knackered looking' then you reduce the appeal to thieves considerably.

If you're commute is only 10km then you dont need a new bike. I built mine for about £130 and its been briliant - using an old Raleigh 531 frame :D

That's what I'm doing at the moment. The frame & forks is a skip find so was free. The only material expense is a new set of wheels, tyres and brakes as both the old ones were knackered. Cost about £130 and a bit of (enjoyable) labour putting it together - although you would need to factor in the cost of new tools for some of the jobs.

A bit more character than a Langster and enough clearance for mudguards as well - very useful on a commuter.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    iPete wrote:
    40 miles each way

:!:

Go on, is that your proper daily commute 5 days a week? That's proper awesome that is.
  • iPete
    craker wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    40 miles each way

Go on, is that your proper daily commute 5 days a week? That's proper awesome that is.

Yup, beats the train (literally does)!

It is close to pan flat mind, hence the fixie being my weapon of choice..
  • tlw1
    iPete wrote:
    craker wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    40 miles each way

Yup, beats the train (literally does)!

It is close to pan flat mind, hence the fixie being my weapon of choice..

Mines 1,400 ft of climbing each way - but obviously possible :)