Bony vapor or bony vapor plus

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Ok the fizik r1's don't fit, and are not going to fit. So went to a shop and tried some hints on! Comfy straight out the box! But £250 notes worth of comfy. So will the vapors fit the same as the plus or will they be different obviously there is a hundred pound price difference

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wear Vaypors and they're great. Love 'em.

The Vaypor+ have a BOA system for closing the shoe... though I couldn't honestly tell you if that's the only difference.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • When I put them on they just fitted, it was awesome. You know when something just feels good. Problem now is whether the vaypors are the same footbed.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I had my first ride in my Vaypor plus today, bleeding fantastic! I'm a big boa system fan.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I liked the way the boa tightens up evenly over the foot, it felt great. And the fact they felt so good without the moulding process I have to have them. But its impossible to get them in white in my size.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I liked the way the boa tightens up evenly over the foot, it felt great. And the fact they felt so good without the moulding process I have to have them. But its impossible to get them in white in my size.

This is precisely the reason I would never consider the plus. When you use Boa or any other closure system to tighten multiple zones then you risk compression which leads to pain. Anyone with any sort of prominent instep knows the values of zonal tightening (love laces).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • But its impossible to get them in white in my size.

If you're 41, you're in luck! I have an almost new pair for sale! (+)
  • Unfortunately im a 44,
    GRill I find that the velcro can be uncomfortable across the top of my foot.
  • Grill do you know if the vaypors use the same footbed?
  • Grill
    Unfortunately im a 44,
    GRill I find that the velcro can be uncomfortable across the top of my foot.

That makes no sense. If it's too tight then loosen it and vice-versa. One pressure point on the second strap for velcro as opposed to two for Boa.

And yes, they have the same (rubbish) footbed, but the shapes and materials are different.
  • Take it you dont like them grill.
    Of course it makes sense. They are my feet, if thats what feels uncomfortable then it does.
    On a serious note what dont you like about them and what do you use?
  • Grill
    I was a fitter for many years and I can tell you it doesn't. Of course psychosomaticism plays a role.

Anyway, I don't really have an issue with Bont, in fact I like the idea. The problem with them is it's incredibly rare to see them properly formed and hardly anyone bothers to use a proper footbed (the arch support is lacking and the OEM footbeds serve no real purpose). The other issue is the low stack height. If I went to Bont then I would have to cut the ISP's of 2 of my bikes which is an issue if I ever swap back to something else.

Currently I use Bontragers with heavily customised footbeds. They're fine (15,000 miles on my current pair).
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I use moulded sidas footbeds in my Vaypor+, haven't needed to mould the actual shoe.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • I get your point.
    The issue I have is trying to find a shoes that fits.
    The mavics I have are too tight rightfoot which is causing me pain. The fiziks I tried were either too tight or too loose, as in the heel was sliding too much in the cup. However when I put the bonts on they felt right.
  • If your struggling to find size and colour you want you can order pretty much any Bonts from here

http://shop.bontcycling.com/collections/road-shoes

mine took less than a fortnight to come (from order to receipt and mine were wide fit so made to my order) and were cheaper than anywhere else I could find on the net (including postage). I had several emails confirming order shipping etc and wouldn't hesitate to order from here again.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Bonts dont need in an insole with an arch support. The sole has support built in, way too much for me, it felt like I had conquers in my shoes. Ive tried twice with Bonts and they are truly awful for me. Shoes that feel good when you try them on dont necessarily work when you ride.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • On that basis shoes are gonna cost me a fortune
  • Grill
    You can't really put a price on foot comfort. As I've said I have over 15,000 miles on mine (try that with running shoes). A good pair of ski or snowboard boot will run you more than Bonts and are only good for 100 days riding (max). Were you to break down the price per hour of use then you'd find that cycling shoes are one of the least expensive types of footwear out there.
  • Sorry grill are you saying bongs are only good for 100 days of riding?
  • Bonts dont need in an insole with an arch support. The sole has support built in, way too much for me, it felt like I had conquers in my shoes. Ive tried twice with Bonts and they are truly awful for me. Shoes that feel good when you try them on dont necessarily work when you ride.

When I got a pair, they felt great when I first tried them on. Bolted some cleats to them, went for a ride and they felt terrible. Just like you, I felt the arch support was too big. Also the heal felt very uncomfortable as well. But I stuck with them, remoulded them a couple more times and now they are spot on for me. Best shoes I've had. Now waiting for the custom versions to become avaliable and I'll get another pair.
  • Grill
    No, I'm saying that ski boots and high-end snowboard boots are only good for 100 days riding.
  • I really wish I checked the spelling before posting I have now called them bonys and bongs.

I have bought some vapors not the plus as I can't afford them!
  • I really wish I checked the spelling before posting I have now called them bonys and bongs.

I have bought some vapors not the plus as I can't afford them!

It's also Vaypor rather than Vapor. :wink:
  • Thanks, iphone doesn't understand!

My shame is everlasting
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Grill wrote:
    No, I'm saying that ski boots and high-end snowboard boots are only good for 100 days riding.
    Can you ride in ski boots?!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Grill
    Grill wrote:
    Can you ride in ski boots?!

You can ride skis in ski boots. Clearly...
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    They don't work for everyone, that's clear. this is the reason you can find a lot of lightly used bonts on ebay.

I tried the vaypor+ and the regular vayors and found that the narrow vaypors fit me the best so I bought those.

An issue I had with the ATOP closures on the V+ was that they didn't hold my foot very strongly - for example I could cinch down the front dial then scrunch my toes and the pressure would 'pop' the dial open. I know this isn't std riding practice but it was enough to scare me off the V+.

I got a pair of V premiums for only £140.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Got my vaypors, they feel really comfy, although is the moulding thing a placebo?
    I went for a 44 which is a bit long but fits the width.
  • Grill
    No it's not as the tub actually changes shape.

Sounds as though you bought them too big which can cause numb toes and sloppy stroke. The fact that the last fits isn't terribly important as you could have stretched them anyway (pretty much the point of Bonts).
  • But if I go smaller then they will be too narrow.
  • Grill
    No as not only will the width be uniform across size ranges, but the moulding process allows for them to be widened quite a bit.